IGNORED

Article: Using Apple Music as Your Entry to Immersive Audio

Yes, strange indeed. Even more:

- All track transitions stuttered when I played them for the first time, on the 5G cell network.

- Closed the Apple Music App and opened it again.

- Then, still in the same location outside, I repeated the same transitions several times. Some do play fine now - I vaguely would suppose the app is reading from a storage buffer left after it got closed. But other transitions keep stuttering repeatedly - no idea.

- Remark: I did not download those albums to the iPhone, just kept streaming from cell.

Whatever Apple‘s secrets are behind this and so much else of what they do …

This article got me interested in doing some experiments today. I’ve been ripping Immersive music from BluRay and downloading MCH (mostly 5.1) from Native DSD for a while. But this article got me interested in streaming, so I thought I’d try it today. I have a theater configured with 11.6.8 speakers that already has a last year’s Apple TV 4K and an Amazon FireTV cube (2nd gen). Both devices are connected to a Trinnov 32 and the room has been professionally calibrated, so I have no need for a PC or Mac for room correction DSP. I signed up for a trial of both Apple Music and Amazon Music Unlimited.

I tried Amazon first. Content choices were not great but I found some Dolby Atmos tagged music and tried it. The Trinnov told me I was receiving a Dolby Digital bitstream at a sample rate of 48KHz and a bitrate of a little over 700K. It sounded okay and the Trinnov showed it was exercising most of my surround and top speakers, but I wasn’t as impressed as I am when listening to 5.1 DSD via Roon (downsampled to 176.4KHz by Roon for the Trinnov DACs, which can only handle up to 192Khz. 

I then tried Apple Music. If I stuck to music that was tagged Dolby Atmos, the Trinnov was showing it was receiving Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, still bit streaming at 48KHz. Bitrate was significantly higher at about 12.8Mhz. I’ve read that you can’t get TrueHD from Apple Music with an Apple TV, so I found this a bit puzzling. If it isn’t bit perfect TrueHD, it’s doing a good job of fooling the Trinnov. Sound from Apple was much more immersive and clean sounding, so at least they are putting that extra bandwidth to good purpose. 

I wasn’t crazy about either service in terms of titles available but I’m going to cancel Amazon Music for now and stick with Apple for a month or two, so I have more time to learn more about Apple Music and how to more easily find Classical or Jazz albums remixed in TrueHD.

7 minutes ago, ksalno said:

This article got me interested in doing some experiments today. I’ve been ripping Immersive music from BluRay and downloading MCH (mostly 5.1) from Native DSD for a while. But this article got me interested in streaming, so I thought I’d try it today. I have a theater configured with 11.6.8 speakers that already has a last year’s Apple TV 4K and an Amazon FireTV cube (2nd gen). Both devices are connected to a Trinnov 32 and the room has been professionally calibrated, so I have no need for a PC or Mac for room correction DSP. I signed up for a trial of both Apple Music and Amazon Music Unlimited.

I tried Amazon first. Content choices were not great but I found some Dolby Atmos tagged music and tried it. The Trinnov told me I was receiving a Dolby Digital bitstream at a sample rate of 48KHz and a bitrate of a little over 700K. It sounded okay and the Trinnov showed it was exercising most of my surround and top speakers, but I wasn’t as impressed as I am when listening to 5.1 DSD via Roon (downsampled to 176.4KHz by Roon for the Trinnov DACs, which can only handle up to 192Khz. 

I then tried Apple Music. If I stuck to music that was tagged Dolby Atmos, the Trinnov was showing it was receiving Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, still bit streaming at 48KHz. Bitrate was significantly higher at about 12.8Mhz. I’ve read that you can’t get TrueHD from Apple Music with an Apple TV, so I found this a bit puzzling. If it isn’t bit perfect TrueHD, it’s doing a good job of fooling the Trinnov. Sound from Apple was much more immersive and clean sounding, so at least they are putting that extra bandwidth to good purpose. 

I wasn’t crazy about either service in terms of titles available but I’m going to cancel Amazon Music for now and stick with Apple for a month or two, so I have more time to learn more about Apple Music and how to more easily find Classical or Jazz albums remixed in TrueHD.

Thanks for the post @ksalno

Your Trinnov is being fooled. It’s all DD+. 

In my experience, Apple is the only way to go for immersive audio. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

21 hours ago, ksalno said:

If it isn’t bit perfect TrueHD, it’s doing a good job of fooling the Trinnov

I have a Trinnov 16 and everything Atmos (True HD and DD+) is identified as TrueHD. I don't think it is getting fooled, I  think the Trinnov software just  doesn't have an option for displaying anything except True HD. It sees Atmos encoding and that triggers it to display below since that it is the only Atmos display option... Apple added Atmos in 2021 while Trinnov added Atmos decoding years before that so may not have anticipated DD+ streaming....  at least that seems to me like a reasonable explanation. 

image.thumb.png.d058adbf0d91eedaba62984645d31640.png

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

Bob,

Will this work for a starter set up?

I have a M1 Mac Mini and a Topping DM7 8 Ch. dac,

and a 5.1 HT system.

Can I connect the Mini to the dac and run a 5.1 mix from Apple Spatial

out the dac to the 5.1 line-in inputs of the AV receiver for 5.1 music playback?

Do I need any software to define the 5.1 mix?

TY.

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

4 minutes ago, jkelly said:

Bob,

Will this work for a starter set up?

I have a M1 Mac Mini and a Topping DM7 8 Ch. dac,

and a 5.1 HT system.

Can I connect the Mini to the dac and run a 5.1 mix from Apple Spatial

out the dac to the 5.1 line-in inputs of the AV receiver for 5.1 music playback?

Do I need any software to define the 5.1 mix?

TY.

Jeff

Just use AudioMidi on the Mac to configure the DAC channels to match your 5.1 system inputs.

2 hours ago, bbosler said:

I have a Trinnov 16 and everything Atmos (True HD and DD+) is identified as TrueHD. I don't think it is getting fooled, I  think the Trinnov software just  doesn't have an option for displaying anything except True HD. It sees Atmos encoding and that triggers it to display below since that it is the only Atmos display option... Apple added Atmos in 2021 while Trinnov added Atmos decoding years before that so may not have anticipated DD+ streaming....  at least that seems to me like a reasonable explanation. 

image.thumb.png.d058adbf0d91eedaba62984645d31640.png

Thanks. So, does that also mean the Apple Music bitstream is NOT 12.8 Mbps? Therefore, the actually streaming quality may not be any better/different than what Amazon Unlimited Dolby Atmos is offering?

29 minutes ago, ksalno said:

Thanks. So, does that also mean the Apple Music bitstream is NOT 12.8 Mbps? Therefore, the actually streaming quality may not be any better/different than what Amazon Unlimited Dolby Atmos is offering?

The bitstream is definitely not 12.8 Mbps. 

The quality of the stream may be different based on the encoding and renderer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Check my:

The €200 Atmos system - Headphone with head tracker

A price reasonable headphone option if you have an Apple scilicon Mac and Apple Music sub.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

12 hours ago, ksalno said:

Thanks. So, does that also mean the Apple Music bitstream is NOT 12.8 Mbps?

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The bitstream is definitely not 12.8 Mbps. 

I'll defer to Chris on the rate. All I know for sure is the Trinnov reports that rate and TrueHD for anything Atmos. Beyond that, anything I said is a somewhat educated guess. I did send a question to Trinnov support asking what is going on... stay tuned. 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

4 hours ago, bbosler said:

I'll defer to Chris on the rate. All I know for sure is the Trinnov reports that rate and TrueHD for anything Atmos. Beyond that, anything I said is a somewhat educated guess. I did send a question to Trinnov support asking what is going on... stay tuned. 

Trinnov told me a couple years ago that it misreported everything from AppleTV as TrueHD. 

In a depressing December Stereophile As We See It, they state “Apple Music streaming version of Atmos for speakers bitrate at 768 kps and Apple Music Atmos for headphones at 256kps.” If I read it correctly.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

7 minutes ago, jkelly said:

In a depressing December Stereophile As We See It, they state “Apple Music streaming version of Atmos for speakers bitrate at 768 kps and Apple Music Atmos for headphones at 256kps.” If I read it correctly.

Be very careful what you read from the old guard about immersive audio. Lossy MQA was their birth of a new world. A single file delivers from two to sixteen channels. Just because a song is played in headphones doesn’t mean music is thrown away. If the file is 768 for sixteen channels it’s 768 for two channels. 

We must also realize that for many albums a higher bit rate than 768 doesn’t exist outside the studio. It’s a unicorn. Complaining about something that doesn’t exist is a bit crazy. 

36 minutes ago, jkelly said:

That 768kps would compare pretty closely to what I was seeing from Amazon Music. 

10 hours ago, jkelly said:

Are they talking about the bit rate of the actual audio itself or the data rate of the transmission mechanism? 

15 hours ago, jkelly said:

This is likely what they were referencing. However, these guys have zero experience with any of this, so they don't realize the real world is different from this guy's little infographic. 

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 9.27.18 AM.png