IGNORED

Article: Eric Clapton - The Definitive 24 Nights - Dolby Atmos - WOW!

3 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Chris, 

Thanks for the review.  The Amazon listing and page do NOTHING to highlight this work as exceptional.

bob --- in the cart ----

I hear ya Bob.

Nothing beats real human intelligence and experience, as opposed to AI and programatic web pages :~)

This is one that surprised me. I'm listening to it right now!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I love music and theater of the mind.  I'll never allow video into my listening room. 

You often mention going to concerts. So you close your eyes during the performance? 😄

but seriously, I really wish they would make these BluRays available separately. However, in this case  I agree $140 is pretty good for all you get AND you get a free tote and lithograph if you preorder from Rhino from 6/1 through 6/18.

1 hour ago, joelha said:

Chris, I assume there are lpcm files on the blurays for those of us neanderthals who are still primitive enough to listen in stereo. If so, what is the bit and sample rate?

Thanks for the great heads-up on this box set. 

Joel

Hi Joel, the Blu-ray Disc has 24/48 versions of the tracks. Not sure what the treaming services will offer yet. 

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 8.48.51 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

'Riding with the King' comes in a nice punchy mix in 5.1 on DVD-A.
I've always enjoyed that album. 😃

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II, Smyth Realiser A16
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

As much as I disagreed with your assessment of Europe 72, I now find myself in complete agreement with you with regards to Eric Clapton. I have been a massive fan for over 50 years and have purchased most of his albums as they were released. I prefer his blues over his rock though sometimes there is a very fine line between the two. I had always felt that 24 nights along with the 2005 Cream reunion show to be his best live recordings. And I, like you, was very impressed with Lady in the Balcony and consider it to be one of my benchmarks in Atmos audio. If that wasn't enough I was also very disappointed with the Grrr Live! audio (however the video is exceptional). Since I do not yet own the Atmos release of 24 Nights, I cannot speak to the quality of the audio but I sure am excited to hear it, especially Worried Life Blues, which on Riding with the King was extraordinary. All in all it seems our musical obsessions have much in common. There's only one big difference. You get advanced copies. I wish I were you Chris!!!

Good Job

I finally got my hands on these releases and have listened to the entire blues release. Chris does not do video so I thought I would briefly comment on the video first. Since it was recorded in 1990, it is standard def video, probably 525 lines of resolution given it was shot in the UK. Clearly unconverted to 1080p it looks about as you would expect. What I liked about the video is that it wasn’t’ just a 4x3 image in a 16x9 window. They used multiple camera shots at times in boxes to fill out the screen. Very well done considering to source material. As for the Atmos track, it is mastered at low volume so you have to crank up the volume a good bit. When I did, I initially thought it sounded like a very good traditional 5.1 mix. But as I continued to listen, I began to appreciate what was going on. The music is presented seemingly in front of the screen and speakers. Excellent separation and space between the instruments rock solid in the soundfield, with a sense of roundness of three dimensionality to each of the performers with a sense that they are right in front of you. Very nice bass reproduction, forceful but not bloated. This is a damn good Atmos mix, showing what this tech is capable of doing. It was amazing watching Buddy Guy and Albert Collins perform. They really tore it up. I had never seen them perform before. Personally, I think that the video adds rather then distracts from the listening experience. All the musicians were spectacular. It was a joy watching this concert from start to finish. Wow is an apt description of the experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris, it's nice to get some technical feedback on the new set.  I was working in an independent music store in 1991, when the original recording came out on CD and Cassette (we didn't sell LPs any more back then and I don't recall it being available) and I have the VHS and the DVD set and OLD LOVE is actually my favourite song of Clapton's of all time.  The version on the double CD from 1991 is taken from one of the 9 Piece Band nights and is 13 minutes and 1 second of absolute BLISS and the lead break has caused me to weep on the right day.  This version (

) in my opinion is better than both versions on the new Blu-Rays as they seem slightly too fast compared to this version.  I spent $115 getting the 2 LP version to my door here in NZ only to discover that the Old Love on that is only 7min55secs and the lead break is not the one for me.  Closest is the Orchestral version, I love that,  I would love to know what you think!

1 minute ago, KoozedNZ said:

Hi Chris, it's nice to get some technical feedback on the new set.  I was working in an independent music store in 1991, when the original recording came out on CD and Cassette (we didn't sell LPs any more back then and I don't recall it being available) and I have the VHS and the DVD set and OLD LOVE is actually my favourite song of Clapton's of all time.  The version on the double CD from 1991 is taken from one of the 9 Piece Band nights and is 13 minutes and 1 second of absolute BLISS and the lead break has caused me to weep on the right day.  This version (

) in my opinion is better than both versions on the new Blu-Rays as they seem slightly too fast compared to this version.  I spent $115 getting the 2 LP version to my door here in NZ only to discover that the Old Love on that is only 7min55secs and the lead break is not the one for me.  Closest is the Orchestral version, I love that,  I would love to know what you think!

I love hearing info like this! Thanks so much @KoozedNZ!

I will check this version out for sure :~)