IGNORED

Article: JPLAY for iOS Is Now Available

On 1/4/2023 at 1:52 PM, mnuno10 said:

Yes, MConnect does not use subscriptions or in-app purchases, so they don't need to validate that user is allowed to use their app. Right now you need internet to start JPLAY app, but has I said we will look on a solution, so user can make a few app launchs without internet connection.  

Any progress here, by chance? 

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

17 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

Not yet, we will try to make it work in the release after the next one(next one is already approved and whould be released today).

Thanks for the update mnuno10!

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mnuno10,

I had a controversy discussion with one of my friends:

We both agreed that a control point (app) like JPLay iOS can have a huge impact on sound quality. One of the reasons could be different protocols (e. g. UPnP vs. Open Home).

But he thought when closing the App on iPhone/iPad there will be no difference anymore.

I think there will be still a difference based on which App started the play.

Who is right and why?

Kind regards
Ben 

@Ben Webster UPNP and OpenHome are very similar, OpenHome was created by Linn as a UPNP extension.

Here you can find a detailed explanation of both.

That said, neither upnp nor openhome let the tracks pass through the control point, both send the tracks addresses to the renderer (one track at a time or the entire playlist) and the renderer will take care of requesting them from the server.

The advantage that JPlay for iOS can give is that of minimizing the network traffic necessary for the control point to receive updates from the renderer on the progress of the song, also to send the address of the next song to the renderer.

So, in the end, how can there be any difference in playback if the app is closed?

Stefano

My audio system

@stefano_mbp thanks for your explanation. Yes, your are right and this is also my understanding. In theory there should be no difference between control points when they‘re switched off after selecting and playing the tracks. 
But I‘m quite sure there is a difference. And it‘s not only me who hear differences between control points after closing the app.

So there must be something more. 

That‘s why I‘m asking … especially @mnuno10.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:49 PM, Ben Webster said:

I appreciate your try to explain me things you might think I didn‘t know.

But in my post above I asked an easy question of the differences (soundwise) of control point app like Kinsky/Kazoo/Linn/JPlay iOS Apps (when switched off) in combination with JPlay Femto.

I hope @Marcin_gps or @mnuno10can answer my question.

Have a nice evening.

I miss this message.
Regarding control points, I think they can affect SQ in two ways, even if they are closed(by killing the app). This is from my experience, but take in mind that this can vary from renderer to renderer, and I'm not sure that I can pass a blind test because all of this can be "expectation bias".
1- The first one is not that the control point will affect the SQ per se, but if a control point is using UPnP to send actions to a renderer and another control point is using OpenHome, that can lead to the first one have better SQ. That's because when using OpenHome, renderer has more work to do, as it has to keep track of the queue in order to play all the tracks. That's why some renderers you have worse SQ when using gapless, because renderer has to prepare the next track while playing the current one. In my tests OpenHome always sounded worse than normal UPnP. That's why I prefer to use UPnP and disable OpenHome(if possible). I remember that, in my old SOtM sMS-100, only the act of enabling OpenHome decreased SQ.
2 - There is something called eventing, that some control points can use to communicate with renderer. The way that this works is, instead of being the control point asking for the progress of the track(polling), is the renderer that communicates these actions to the control point. So control point has to register to receive events, and renderer will start sending them. If control point is killed there is not need to send events anymore and renderer can now avoid send them, leading to better SQ. In my tests eventing sounded worse than polling.

2 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

I miss this message.
Regarding control points, I think they can affect SQ in two ways, even if they are closed(by killing the app). This is from my experience, but take in mind that this can vary from renderer to renderer, and I'm not sure that I can pass a blind test because all of this can be "expectation bias".
1- The first one is not that the control point will affect the SQ per se, but if a control point is using UPnP to send actions to a renderer and another control point is using OpenHome, that can lead to the first one have better SQ. That's because when using OpenHome, renderer has more work to do, as it has to keep track of the queue in order to play all the tracks. That's why some renderers you have worse SQ when using gapless, because renderer has to prepare the next track while playing the current one. In my tests OpenHome always sounded worse than normal UPnP. That's why I prefer to use UPnP and disable OpenHome(if possible). I remember that, in my old SOtM sMS-100, only the act of enabling OpenHome decreased SQ.
2 - There is something called eventing, that some control points can use to communicate with renderer. The way that this works is, instead of being the control point asking for the progress of the track(polling), is the renderer that communicates these actions to the control point. So control point has to register to receive events, and renderer will start sending them. If control point is killed there is not need to send events anymore and renderer can now avoid send them, leading to better SQ. In my tests eventing sounded worse than polling.

Many thanks for your long answer.

ad 1) I fully agree and can confirm.

ad 2) not sure if I get your point. Does that mean, that even if you closed the Control point, the Control PC still have events which try to reach the Control Point. If yes, it‘s clear, that the sounds get worse.

I guess JPlay iOS uses „polling“ and not „events“?