IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the confusion:) All pre-orders and recent orders are the current design. It’s possible Andrew has not implemented the sticker for pre-orders or did not implement the sticker yet. I’ll try to sort this out today for you. Worse case we can tell from the order date and from a revision number on the board. 

5 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

@cormorant: can you describe the difference in SQ?

The new version is a step up in overall clarity.  It's a nice upgrade.  The Sonore team did excellent work on the new module.

With the additional resolution across the frequency spectrum, treble is more present.  That changed the tonal balance of my system.  I'm making other changes in the system to restore a natural tonal balance.  I'm thinking some people are going to prefer sticking with V1.

My system here

I'm sorry for the off-topic post, but I have tried repeatedly to login to the sonore support forum. Every time I am told "invalid username or password." I have reset my password three times--all to no avail.

If someone from sonore could help me out I would really appreciate it. I can't even find a way to contact anyone on the forum--since I am not logged in, I can't post.

-end of interruption-

17 hours ago, Cormorant said:

There is one noticeable difference between V1 and V2 that can identify them.  The Ethernet activity LED blinks when there is packet traffic on both versions.  On the V1 opticalModule, the activity LED is on the upper right side of the Ethernet port.  On the V2 version, the activity LED has been programmed to be the light on the upper left side of the Ethernet port.

Thanks Cormorant. For the right or left side of ethernet port, is this looking from rear towards connectors or looking from front of unit? Mine has amber coloured led between ethernet port and power input. No sticker on bottom. Unit was ordered Oct 10 and delivered Oct. 13.

31 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

For the right or left side of ethernet port, is this looking from rear towards connectors or looking from front of unit? Mine has amber coloured led between ethernet port and power input. No sticker on bottom. 

Looking from rear with power input on right. 

My V2 has a green flashing activity light on the left of the Ethernet port. 

My V1 has an amber flashing activity light on the right.  Like yours. 

My system here

4 hours ago, lasker98 said:

Thanks Cormorant. For the right or left side of ethernet port, is this looking from rear towards connectors or looking from front of unit? Mine has amber coloured led between ethernet port and power input. No sticker on bottom. Unit was ordered Oct 10 and delivered Oct. 13.

3 hours ago, Cormorant said:

Looking from rear with power input on right. 

My V2 has a green flashing activity light on the left of the Ethernet port. 

My V1 has an amber flashing activity light on the right.  Like yours. 

I don't have a current unit here to check, but you gents do know that the LED color is generally an indication of 100Mbps or 1Gbe connection. So you could be getting confused based on what you have attached. 9_9

And @lasker98: Sonore was out of stock on opticalModules all year, so it seems highly doubtful that your October 2022 unit could be of the prior version.

Thanks Superdad. I feel better already 😃.

My OM Deluxe has the ethernet connected to my Bryston 3.14 dac. I have no idea if that's 100 Mbps or 1Gbe. The fiber into the OM is 1Gbe. I guess I'll find out what version I have soon enough.

I also have an Etheregen that I've been happily using for the last year and a half or so connected (via fiber) to a Sonictransporter. To clarify, the Sonictransporter is connected via ethernet from Etheregen b side. The a side is using the sfp port connected to a Mikrotik css610.... sfp port. The second sfp port on the Mikrotik is connected to the OM.

I received my new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe this week. I'm shocked how much RF/EMI noise it removed—big reduction of harshness, lower noise floor, better detail, more mid-bass oomph. Given it replaced a $20 TP-Link FMC, I shouldn't be that surprised, but it again shows the music-destroying pervasiveness of noise in listening chains coming from places you might not suspect. Nicely done, Sonore!

My chain: SonicTransporter i9->PhoenixNet->opticalModuleDeluxe->Singlemode Fiber->opticalRendu->PhoenixUSB->SRC-DX->mScaler->opto-DX->Chord DAVE->Focal Utopia. Mostly Sablon cables, lots of Vibrapods and various power upgrades

27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I don't have a current unit here to check, but you gents do know that the LED color is generally an indication of 100Mbps or 1Gbe connection. So you could be getting confused based on what you have attached. 

All my testing is at 1Gbe, verified by my Unifi network manager.

My system here

11 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

I just received an email from Andrew at SGC confirming my unit is definitely the new version. Thanks Andrew.

Ok, that is good. With that information, putting it together, here is my current theory.  Is it correct?

* opticalModule Deluxe V1 flashes an amber (orange) LED on the right Ethernet port side for 1Gbe packet traffic AND 100 Mbps traffic.

* Per SuperDad, an amber LED is usually used for 100 Mbps speeds, green for gigabit speeds.

* John changed this "bug" in firmware in V2 such that the flashing green LED on the left shows 1Gbe packet traffic.

* For V2, the amber flashing LED on the right is still used to show 100 Mpbs speed traffic.

* lasker98 has a 100 Mbps network from his opticalModule to his Bryston DAC.

* lasker98's opticalModule Deluxe V2 correctly shows a flashing amber LED on the right.

* The left green LED vs right amber LED is a convenient way to tell V1 and V2 apart, but only for 1Gbe networks.

My system here

4 hours ago, muski said:

I received my new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe this week. I'm shocked how much RF/EMI noise it removed—big reduction of harshness, lower noise floor, better detail, more mid-bass oomph. Given it replaced a $20 TP-Link FMC, I shouldn't be that surprised, but it again shows the music-destroying pervasiveness of noise in listening chains coming from places you might not suspect. Nicely done, Sonore!

exciting to see that there is such a great improvement over a generic FMC. 

btw: does Sonore recommend single mode oder multimode connection ?