IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

14 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks for the info.

Could the extra heat be problematic? 

I've got a big heatsink on my opticalRendu now which works very well. 

Running at 1.411/1.536 Mhz PCM in multi-mode by itself is enough to cause overheating of the opticalRendu such that I start getting clicks and pauses in the music.  Adding in single mode SFP+ fiber without a heatsink makes that overheating problem even worse.

By the way, in my system I found upgrading from the opticalModule Deluxe V1 to V2, and then adding Finisar single mode SFP+ transceivers, resulted in a surprisingly big improvement in sound quality.  They were two really great upgrades.

My system here

have you tried using a lower voltage PS, in case that's still in the 6-9v band? actually, Im thinking more of the module than the rendu, as with 9v my OG opticalmodule gets so hot its feet unglues and playback is clicky even at lower sample rates. Changing to 5v with the JS2 solved it. no experience with the deluxe versions though

7 minutes ago, lsantista said:

have you tried using a lower voltage PS, in case that's still in the 6-9v band? actually, Im thinking more of the module than the rendu, as with 9v my OG opticalmodule gets so hot its feet unglues and playback is clicky even at lower sample rates. Changing to 5v with the JS2 solved it. no experience with the deluxe versions though

I use my opticalModule Deluxe v2 with a 7v power supply and SFP+ module. It gets warm, but not hot.  It runs a lot cooler than the original opticalModule.

My system here

2 hours ago, lsantista said:

I would stay away from 9VDC on the Rendu and Module series. I would also stay away from voltages below the rated voltages of the units as this will cause undesirable side effects with the regulators. 

2 hours ago, Cormorant said:

I use my opticalModule Deluxe v2 with a 7v power supply and SFP+ module. It gets warm, but not hot.  It runs a lot cooler than the original opticalModule.

The switch chip on the new opticalModule is very very good:) 

6 hours ago, Markus8 said:

So when connecting the new Optical Module Deluxe v2 to the EtherRegen what SFP is recommended? Currently got the Finisar and multimode that Sonore ships. 

It may be that single-mode vs multi-mode is a canard and the big improvement is with the smooth but clear sounding Finisar transceivers.  In which case you are good to go.  Maybe others will weigh in?

My system here

• 8 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, vortecjr said:

I have recently ordered prototypes for testing. They should work because the design works well on a test board. We can make a medium size run based on parts available and expect it to sell out almost immediately because there is a long list of people waiting for them. We are sending dealers some units to sell as well. 

Design-wise and not giving out too much information, the oM had a good network IC, but now it has an excellent network IC. We have also updated the power circuits. We are very excited about the new opticalModule DX. We are planning to make a Signature opticalModule to accompany the Signature Rendu.  Both of these are single-box solutions with internal power supplies.  

Is the Signature opticalModule still in the works?

• vortecjr changed the title to Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2.3
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Well then the Cisco 10G-Base Active Optical SFP -10G-AOC should be fine between your EtherREGEN and opticalRendu! :D

Easy enough, thank you! Thoroughly enjoying the ER Gen 1 with JS-2 LPS! Looking to add/ upgrade to the Sonore OM and was hoping not to worry about swapping out my Cisco SFP cable. 👍🏼

I use the Cisco AOC between a first gen oM and an oR. Works great and best sound so far among the SFP's I've tried. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• vortecjr changed the title to Sonore opticalModule Deluxe