IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

53 minutes ago, Riccitone said:

So I’ve had my Mercury for a good little while. Just astounded  by the overall improvements in sq over my Allo Digione. Now also noticing how much more nuanced, cleaner and detailed the tracks I play on my usb stick are compared to streaming - even though streaming is still way more impressive than before the Mercury. So not totally bothered by it. 

However, wanted to ask if anyone here has compares wifi to using an Ethernet cable? I haven’t a way to connect straight to modem, but do have an extender in my listening room. Would like to connect a cable from it to the Mercury, but something about rpi’s do something weird this way (starts displaying text as “COMMON” and just stops responding altogether. 

I’ve heard others not having issues with using a cheap TP link extender with an Ethernet cable, so I ordered one hoping/assuming that using an extender with an outboard supply will not give me these issues. Fingers crossed.

Regardless, would love to know what solutions and improvements anyone here has found connecting to an extender, equipment, incorporating an EtherGen, if a Melco switch helps, or simply using a cheap extender plus a decent cable, etc. 🙏🏼

In terms of substitute ethernet connections, I've had good results with the Netgear Powerline 2000 adapters.  I didn't try them with the Mercury, but they work very well with my wife's Blu-Ray ethernet player in her "den."  I don't see why they wouldn't work with the Mercury.  The TP-Link AV2000 gets very good reviews as well.

For cleaning up the ethernet, I've had good results with the DXE-ISO-PLUS ethernet filters.  They really do make a difference, for a relative pittance:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2

I use *only one* at the renderer end, and they are directional--the label should point toward the device.  Using two in the line doesn't sound as good.  These are a great bargain, IMO.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, PoMarantz said:

2. Internal Hard Drive (SK hynix Gold P31 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD l Up to 3500MB/S l Compact M.2 SSD Form Factor SK hynix SSD - Internal Solid State Drive with 128-Layer NAND Flash), for a Music Library. I carefully installed that SSD on the internal board and I would like to download & save hi-rez files from Qobuz and other sources and create a Music File Lbrary on that Internal SSD and playback thru Volumio on The Mercury.

That is all I want to be able to do. (people say Gentoo Player is better...but that sounds like more than I can handle. LOL).

PoMarantz, I don't know if you've figured out how to mount your NVMe drive yet, but GentooPlayer makes it very easy to mount them.  See below.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1bb7239e2a7458b79733f4c907fdfece.jpeg

15 hours ago, zackthedog said:

In terms of substitute ethernet connections, I've had good results with the Netgear Powerline 2000 adapters.  I didn't try them with the Mercury, but they work very well with my wife's Blu-Ray ethernet player in her "den."  I don't see why they wouldn't work with the Mercury.  The TP-Link AV2000 gets very good reviews as well.

For cleaning up the ethernet, I've had good results with the DXE-ISO-PLUS ethernet filters.  They really do make a difference, for a relative pittance:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2

I use *only one* at the renderer end, and they are directional--the label should point toward the device.  Using two in the line doesn't sound as good.  These are a great bargain, IMO.

@zackthedog

Thanks for this, great suggestions! I’ll definitely try the dxe-iso device once I can get around the extender causing the rpi to go weird. That power line adapter also seems super cool. 

Hi all,

Via Volumio…I was trying an extender (as client) to use an Ethernet cable to see if anything changed/improved sound quality. In the process, found myself needing to do a factor reset. Everything working, but now my Mercury won’t recognize my usb flash drive when installed. Checked it on my laptop and all the music files are there, but whenever in either of the usb slots on the Mercury, nada…says no items. 

Going through the sources menus, nothing there to indicate usb drive as an option. Just NAS or internal. 

it does show usb as an option under music library, but nothing shows when I hit the usb icon. 

Pardon my noobiness, but what the hell is going on? 

Was just fine before the reset. 

Thanks, that's what I figured. Just making sure I'm doing what I think unlike using some web/pc based service like roon or even audirvsna that would draw from and send back to. Right now lumin is working fine with nvme and streaming with audirvsna. But once I get it how I want, if there isn't a clear improvement over volumio, then volumio is a good solution that does everything pretty easy.

On 9/5/2022 at 10:16 PM, Ghettocowboy23 said:

Version 2 of this streamer is on preorder on the manufacture website and to be shipped in late October to early December. It costs $200 more and not sure what improvements we’ll get besides the nicer chassis. Preordering saves $100 bringing the price down to $699. 

Looks like it has two HDMI outputs plus LDVS with polarity adjustments, RJ45 I2S output.

Mercury sound best so far came from using foobar2000 with Upnp plug in. (To play files add files to upnp  controll playback queue , then use view menu, pnp controller-use this to control playback and pick your volumio on device list.). Using files from USB drive on mercury doesn't sound as good as ethernet. Those that complain about dsd can use usb plug on mercury to dac to play native. but i find the volumio dsd to pcm sound way better via i2s(Not native dsd but resample 384k pcm).

GD internal HD nvme is a Bitch to install in volumio for mercury. Here's basic info to get it done. Let's say my example, i have windows ntfs drive i like to undock and use in mercury.(Must unplug from command bar next to time: safe remove eject icon select your device and eject since my nvme is on a usb drive case. If you don't well ntfs won't unlock it for use as you get errors on next commands.). Next login to volumio via ssh/enable it in example settings url: http://10.0.0.2/dev , click enable. Next use a ssh software to telnet to it like putty google it. login: volumio password volumio . once you got in "sudo fdisk -l" to find your ssd nvme disk and partition with largest gigabyte drive (mine was /dev/nvme0n1p3) next mount hd: "cd mnt" then "mkdir NVME", now to mount nvmedrive to NVME directory: "mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME" , "cd.." to get to root, finally then "cd var/lib/mpd/music" then finally "ln -s /mnt/NVME /var/lib/mpd/music/INTERNAL" . Now go to your setting, sources, and scan. Need basic a basic geek to get through this but well worth the hassle to get both functionality to pull drive out to pc and drag files in and out with windows machines. 6 hours of work, send me a beer [email protected]

GD internal HD nvme is a Bitch to install in volumio for mercury. Here's basic info to get it done. Let's say my example, i have windows ntfs drive i like to undock and use in mercury.(Must unplug from command bar next to time: safe remove eject icon select your device and eject since my nvme is on a usb drive case. If you don't well ntfs won't unlock it for use as you get errors on next commands.). Next login to volumio via ssh/enable it in example settings url: http://10.0.0.2/dev , click enable. Next use a ssh software to telnet to it like putty google it. login: volumio password volumio . once you got in "sudo fdisk -l" to find your ssd nvme disk and partition with largest gigabyte drive (mine was /dev/nvme0n1p3) next mount hd: "cd mnt" then "mkdir NVME", now to mount nvmedrive to NVME directory: "mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME" , "cd.." to get to root, finally then "cd var/lib/mpd/music" then finally "ln -s /mnt/NVME /var/lib/mpd/music/INTERNAL" . Now go to your setting, sources, and scan. Need basic a basic geek to get through this but well worth the hassle to get both functionality to pull drive out to pc and drag files in and out with windows machines. 6 hours of work, send me a beer [email protected]

UPDATE: Once it's working to make this permanent, you need to add this to startup:1. make backup, then "sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup"    2. Edit startup: sudo nano /etc/fstab  3. add line at bottom "mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME" 3. save: press ctrl "o" , find exit key press it  , to reboot type "sudo reboot ". When ever it's not working it's this command that makes it work: "mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME"

UPDATE2: correct #3. remove mount just write / add only "/dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME ntfs defaults 0 0" save and reboot.

Moode audio sounds way better thus this instruction same as top but you need to add sudo in front of each command.

Next use a ssh software to telnet to it like putty google it. login: pi password:moodaudio . Once you got in "sudo fdisk -l" to find your ssd nvme disk and partition with largest gigabyte drive (mine was /dev/nvme0n1p3) next mount hd: "cd mnt" then "sudo mkdir NVME", now to mount nvmedrive to NVME directory: "sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME" , "cd.." to get to root, finally then "cd var/lib/mpd/music" then "sudo mkdir NVME" and finally "ln -s /mnt/NVME /var/lib/mpd/music/NVME"

auto mount nvme hard drive instructions every time it restarts or powers on.

1. make backup, then "sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup"    2. Edit startup: sudo nano /etc/fstab  3. add line at bottom "/dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME ntfs defaults 0 0" 3. save: press ctrl "o" , now exit ctrl key x , to reboot type "sudo reboot ". When ever it's not working it's this command usually makes it work: "mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/NVME"

Hi. I am new to this site. I have an interest in high-quality stand alone streaming solutions (especially sans the cost of esoteric solutions). I am just curious is anyone has done a comparison (casual or formal) between the Mercury 2 and the Stack Audio Link II. If so, I would love to hear your observations and opinion regarding the compare. 

-Chris

1 hour ago, chrisd552 said:

Hi. I am new to this site. I have an interest in high-quality stand alone streaming solutions (especially sans the cost of esoteric solutions). I am just curious is anyone has done a comparison (casual or formal) between the Mercury 2 and the Stack Audio Link II. If so, I would love to hear your observations and opinion regarding the compare. 

-Chris

I'll be interested to see if there are any responses, but it's something of an apples-to-oranges comparison.  Most people are buying the Mercury (or the Pi2AES) for the excellence of the I2S output, which removes the DAC's internal clock from the equation.  The Stack is for asynchronous USB only.  It's really a different device.  It might improve your USB chain, but it doesn't replace it with an I2S interface.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:17 PM, zackthedog said:

I'll be interested to see if there are any responses, but it's something of an apples-to-oranges comparison.  Most people are buying the Mercury (or the Pi2AES) for the excellence of the I2S output, which removes the DAC's internal clock from the equation.  The Stack is for asynchronous USB only.  It's really a different device.  It might improve your USB chain, but it doesn't replace it with an I2S interface.

Hi Zack. I see what you mean. I ask because I'm looking for a major improvement in streaming SQ. I've been using a Mac mini with Audirvana Studio, into a Shiit Bifrost 2. And SQ is just not there. So, I decided to investigate Pi based solutions and stumbled onto the Stack Link II in the process - its gets some pretty strong reviews for SQ (my experience so far is that service from Stack is not good - I've been trying to reach them for a week without luck!). I did pre-order a Mercury v2 and will experiment with that. While I haven't done experimentation with I2s myself yet, I understand the basic rationale for using it in lieu of composite alternative (being as close to raw as possible and avoiding encoding and decoding of USB, SPID/F, etc). But there is a fair amount of info suggesting that modern and well executed USB streams (with clean power, etc) are not distinguishable from an I2s feed directly into the dac. Again - I don't have any first hand knowledge on this yet not having experimented myself (I guess I'll be in a position to do that when the Mercury arrives). But would love comments and feedback from anyone who has walked these paths or experimented similarly. :)

On 9/23/2022 at 12:17 PM, zackthedog said:

Maybe I should have been more clear...clearly the Bifrost doesn't take I2s without some internal mods. So, I would need to swap DACs. But have already been looking at a swap to a Denafrips. But if going that direction, maybe its more practical to peel the I2s from Allo Kali and send it directly to the Denafrips. Its certainly a less expensive route than the Mercury v2. What's unknown for me is whether or not the Mercury and Kali are equally effective at delivering I2s from the stream to the DAC. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, chrisd552 said:

Maybe I should have been more clear...clearly the Bifrost doesn't take I2s without some internal mods. So, I would need to swap DACs. But have already been looking at a swap to a Denafrips. But if going that direction, maybe its more practical to peel the I2s from Allo Kali and send it directly to the Denafrips. Its certainly a less expensive route than the Mercury v2. What's unknown for me is whether or not the Mercury and Kali are equally effective at delivering I2s from the stream to the DAC. 

All I can say is that the Pi2AES and the Mercury, uisng coax output, beat any USB solution I have tried to date.  And there isn't a trace of the digital glaze I hear with other coax converters.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm looking at a Mercury v2 to replace a Pi2AES Lite in my main system for a couple reasons (1. To use AES into an Yggrasil instead of BNC, 2. cut down on clutter of external ssd attached since I play local flac only and want to use the hd internally)

Couple questions, is there likely to be a benefit of using internal hard drive in mercury vs ssd via USB? 

And 

The instructions earlier seem difficult for coding- stupid person like me, is that the instructions to be able to access the internal hdd from a network computer? Is there an easy way to use an internal hdd and then unhook from system and hook directly up to my PC to update the music server? 

3 hours ago, orange5o said:

So, I'm looking at a Mercury v2 to replace a Pi2AES Lite in my main system for a couple reasons (1. To use AES into an Yggrasil instead of BNC, 2. cut down on clutter of external ssd attached since I play local flac only and want to use the hd internally)

Couple questions, is there likely to be a benefit of using internal hard drive in mercury vs ssd via USB? 

And 

The instructions earlier seem difficult for coding- stupid person like me, is that the instructions to be able to access the internal hdd from a network computer? Is there an easy way to use an internal hdd and then unhook from system and hook directly up to my PC to update the music server? 

I don't know that, short of doing a lot of coding, there is an easy answer here, unless you purchase Gentooplayer.  Then it is very easy to format an NVME drive, turn it into a music storage drive, and share it with the rest of your network via FTP or Samba.  No need to hook it up to anything except your internet to add files to the NVME.

An external USB drive is an option, but you say you want to cut down on externals, and this is the way to do that.

Given that Volumio requires a monthly subscription to access streaming services, Gentooplayer's lifetime license is a good deal.  It accomplishes all this and much more, and is also by far the best-sounding OS for the Mercury.  It unlocks all the Mercury's potential, IMO.  That's my advice. ;-)

I think you are mis-understanding Gentooplayer.  It is an optimized version of Gentoo Linux for Audio solutions.  It is the core Operating system with tools to setup and run many different music playback applications:

https://gentooplayers.com/

Multiplayer

The possibility to choose between different Audiophile players. Squeezelite-R2, Squeezelite, Mpd, UpMPDcli, BubbleUpnp, Networkaudiod (NAD), RoonBridge, HQPlayer Embedded, HQPlayer, LMS (LogitechMediaServer), Sox-dsd, RoonServer, Cantata (mpd Client), Shairpor-sync, Spotifyd, MinimServer...

Some of the features will not work on the ARM core running the Mercury!  I have run LMS, and Squeezelite to make a complete server streamer on Pi based systems.   

48 minutes ago, orange5o said:

seems like more of a desktop control solution?

Not at all … GentooPlayer is like a “container” of apps and you can enable which you like: LMS/Squeezelite (R2), GMediaRender, MPD/Upmpdcli, Roon endpoint, HQPlayer NAA and more

Therefore you can use different apps on smartphone or tablet:

for LMS - the native LMS UI, or Material Skin LMS plugin, or iPeng

for MPD/Upmpdcli - Bubbleupnp, Lumïn, Kazoo, Linn and other

Stefano

My audio system