IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Do you mean that DSD is showed by your dac?

Should be set in Audirvana too, in the Network Player section.

In Gentooplayer, if I set MPD to DoP and play a DSD64 file through Audirvana, the DAC shows PCM176 and there *no sound* coming from the DAC.

If I set MPD to Direct, the DAC shows PCM192 and there is sound.

The DAC is capable of 176 through coax.  I'll look at the Audirvana settings again.

26 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I cannot find any DoP setting in Audirvana on my Mac Mini.

You’re right, I was confusing with Audirvana usb connected dacs configuration.

I have just built a fast setup … Audirvana (3.5j playing to rpi4/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro/RoPieee XL-UPNP-DoP

Playing DSD64 from Audirvana in native mode the stream is converted in DoP by RoPieeeXL and sent to HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro then to the dac which is DoP only capable (M2Tech Young DSD MKII) through coax: it works fine and the dac is showing DSD1 (DSD64).

By the way …. which dac are you using? Is it DoP capable?

I could find this in SBAF forum (from Michael Kelly):

1) The PI I2S port built into the CPU chip only supports PCM. DSD over PCM (DoP) simply puts the DSD information into a PCM frame. The downstream DAC recovers the data and ships it to the various D/A section as if it were DSD. Unlkess the DAC messes the data up, there is no difference between DSD and DoP.

You can find it here (post #680), the last of the page

According to this everything should work … unless the dac messes the data up …

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, tjmski said:

My preamp is an oldie but goodie, Ayre K3. I’ve only used balanced xlr for my DAC and turntable. I don’t want to hijack this thread on a preamp discussion though.

Understand,

Got ahead of myself! Apologies for getting off topic…

And thank you 🙏🏼 

7 hours ago, sch8mid said:

@Superdad

This is what you wrote :

Volumio : Maybe if I have time this week I’ll boot that and run DSD (over DoP) and take a picture for you.

Well I found that my original microSD card with Volumio had been overwritten.  I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to make a new Volumio boot drive but never got one to boot.  So now I am out of time to spend on this project just to prove something to you.  I did play DSD with Volumio for a short time when I first received the Mercury, but I moved on to other operating systems and player software. 

Perhaps you can get support from the Volumio folks on this matter. After all, they do charge for their software.  
As you can see from my photos and my testament, it is NOT a hardware issue with Mercury.  It does play DSD64 (not DSD128) over DoP via I2S.

Best of luck,

—Alex C.

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

You’re right, I was confusing with Audirvana usb connected dacs configuration.

I have just built a fast setup … Audirvana (3.5j playing to rpi4/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro/RoPieee XL-UPNP-DoP

Playing DSD64 from Audirvana in native mode the stream is converted in DoP by RoPieeeXL and sent to HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro then to the dac which is DoP only capable (M2Tech Young DSD MKII) through coax: it works fine and the dac is showing DSD1 (DSD64).

By the way …. which dac are you using? Is it DoP capable?

I could find this in SBAF forum (from Michael Kelly):

1) The PI I2S port built into the CPU chip only supports PCM. DSD over PCM (DoP) simply puts the DSD information into a PCM frame. The downstream DAC recovers the data and ships it to the various D/A section as if it were DSD. Unlkess the DAC messes the data up, there is no difference between DSD and DoP.

You can find it here (post #680), the last of the page

According to this everything should work … unless the dac messes the data up …

It's possible that my DAC, the Doge 7, does not support DoP.  I've never played that much with it because I do so little DSD listening.

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

unfortunately your experience is with Roon

I also have played DSD to Mercury as Squeezelite endpoint—both with LMS on Mercury and on a different PC. 
And I did play DSD to I2S under Volumio—but this week I don’t have the time to figure out why I can’t seem to make a new Volumio boot card work. 

9 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Could be …. but as it should work we are trying … unfortunately your experience is with Roon and that doesn’t help , thanks

Yes and

@ Superdad

And I did play DSD to I2S under Volumio—but this week I don’t have the time to figure out why I can’t seem to make a new Volumio boot card work. 

Flash it . please . I did a lot of SD card flashing these days.  . So curious .

As you seem the only one who has , had (?) a working Volumio/Mercury I2S   DSD system .

Hate late stage capitalism's tendency to overly fetishize merch

10 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

have you already tried to connect to the Mercury with coax? … maybe yes but I don’t remember … 

You should try to play a DSD64 file … DoP must be configured in Volumio

HI Stefan

Just testing Roopiee XXL

Yes , i did . Coax no Problem    : DSD 64  x .  PCM 192 Khz .  DoP

____

I2S  .  No luck , as before with Volumio and Picoreplayer

Holo DAC is switching to 176,4 no sound with DoP

With DSD direct. =  PCM 192Khz and  hiss

Again

With Coax and USB there are no DSD  problems . Not with Picore, not with Volumio not with Ropieee

If fed with a DSD 64 stream the DAC display correct  : DSD 64 (USB : 256x)

if feed with PCM  , the display shows the correct resolution .

_____

Its all about I2S . No DSD at all. 

Please understand , i bought the Mercury because of its I2S implementation.

(I even tried some other overlays like PI2aes to no avail)