IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

2 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Is there anything better in design of this one when compared with Allo Usbridge Signature (besides more connections)?

The design of the Mercury Streamer uses the CM4 module which has major compute performance improvements over the CM3 in the USBridge Sig.  The Allo product is focused on USB output.  The Mercury is focused on other digital outputs like their Pi2AES product. I have no idea what the USB output of the Mercury will do for us.

The addition of local NVME storage in the Mercury  is to me a huge step forward.

In the Allo you can add the Digione Signature SPDIF output HAT which sounds pretty darn good.  In my testing the Pi2AES is better to my ear, but there are a lot of variables.

RJF

28 minutes ago, bobfa said:

The design of the Mercury Streamer uses the CM4 module which has major compute performance improvements over the CM3 in the USBridge Sig.  The Allo product is focused on USB output.  The Mercury is focused on other digital outputs like their Pi2AES product. I have no idea what the USB output of the Mercury will do for us.

The addition of local NVME storage in the Mercury  is to me a huge step forward.

In the Allo you can add the Digione Signature SPDIF output HAT which sounds pretty darn good.  In my testing the Pi2AES is better to my ear, but there are a lot of variables.

RJF

Thanks. In fact you can replace Pi3 compute module on Usbridge Sig with Pi4 module. I use Roon, Minimserver and Jplay Femto Server so local storage would make little sense.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ghettocowboy23 said:

Looks promising. Does it have a built in clock?

Of course!

All digital devices have multiple clocks.  This streamer has two nice NDK NZ2520SDA XOs at audio-sample-rate related frequencies (22.792Mhz and 24.576Mhz), plus a 24.0MHz clock for its USB hub chip, plus the RPi Compute 4 module has a clock for its processor.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Of course!

All digital devices have multiple clocks.  This streamer has two nice NDK NZ2520SDA XOs at audio-sample-rate related frequencies (22.792Mhz and 24.576Mhz), plus a 24.0MHz clock for its USB hub chip, plus the RPi Compute 4 module has a clock for its processor.

Very nice. Thank you.  Throwing a nice linear power supply or USB-C power plug giving the user the option to use battery power then it will be a great streamer 

1 hour ago, Ghettocowboy23 said:

Very nice. Thank you.  Throwing a nice linear power supply or USB-C power plug giving the user the option to use battery power then it will be a great streamer 

The Mercury takes a 12vdc3a I believe so yes you can add a lps to the streamer. Probably won’t improve much further to the stock psu tho based on my experience using a 24v lps with the pi2aes

Deric

A short report at the end of the day.  I have done some listening to both Pi2Design devices and the Antipodes K50.  I do not currently have any high-end DACs to listen to, so I am just using the (S/PDIF) iFi xDSD Gryphon and four headphones.   As I expected, they are all some of the best digital sources I have ever had in hand.  I am not ready to pick Gold/Silver/Bronze medal winner.  I feel that I may be limited with my current test system.  I will move to the upstairs systems in a few days.

I am currently running Roon on the K50 and Volumio on the others.  My goal this weekend is to run the same software on all three.  LMS+

Squeezelite.  The Pi2AES is a simple SD card swap, and the K50 is a set of software switches.  I am working on other OS variants on the Mercury with a couple of hitches in my get-along.  (welcome to beta)

I will declare the Fourth Place contender, the Teac 501 CD Transport. I have been using CD Rips for my music, like the Loreena McKennitt shown and some streaming.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.28cb1a5c9a59f234ec32ddedfc395559.jpeg