IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

19 minutes ago, Riccitone said:

Thank you for this, and that’s great news to me! Seems worth it. I’m with you on the incremental approach to power components. But if it adds up to overall improvement , I’m all about it. 

really appreciate your help! 

🙏🏼

It was discussed in the thread over at the other place. What I meant was the one you posted is probably same/just as good. The Fiio is ordered from over seas everywhere I looked. I don't typically care for doing stuff on ebay, but like doing stuff on aliexpress even less. There were no options for voltage but it is the 12-15 version we need. That might be over now? Born for music.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165727304353

1 hour ago, Powerman said:

was discussed in the thread over at the other place. What I meant was the one you posted is probably same/just as good. The Fiio is ordered from over seas everywhere I looked. I don't typically care for doing stuff on ebay, but like doing stuff on aliexpress even less. There were no options for voltage but it is the 12-15 version we need. That might be over now? Born for music.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165727304353

Lol…

I just purchased that exact one (same seller). Went ahead and got it, since you gave it a thumbs up. Such a reasonable price it’s worth trying. Plus wanted to save a little and get a decent conditioner for front end components as wel, so it’s really perfect as part of an overall system improvement. 

2 hours ago, Riccitone said:

Lol…

I just purchased that exact one (same seller). Went ahead and got it, since you gave it a thumbs up. Such a reasonable price it’s worth trying. Plus wanted to save a little and get a decent conditioner for front end components as wel, so it’s really perfect as part of an overall system improvement. 

That looks like a solid buy for the money! 👍🏼

• 2 weeks later...

So now... Back to DSD... I have an album, it plays DSD direct. Try DoP... No go. When playing direct, my Pontus 2 won't show DSD, but shows 44kx2.

Reading Volumio, it says it now plays DSD native up to 512...except only on USB... Not I2S which is what I use. So is that all I2S? So if I want to play DSD native, I have to do it direct with USB and then my Pontus should show DSD playback correct?

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Powerman said:

So I was supposed to get I2S on my DAC but didn't. That can be fixed, but is it worth fighting for? Seems the best method comes down to who implements the best solution. So specifically for Mercury... What is the best output to DAC.... USB or I2S?

On-paper I²S is the best connection. Can we hear it? I guess every situation is different.

I bought a very decent, short HDMI cable (2’…I think. You want to keep this cable super short), here: https://www.ricable.com/en/hdmi-cable

RiCable has quality goods (all-copper), very reasonable prices compared to whats's out there and their regular shipping came super-fast to the U.S. for me!

I am glad I did it. I have Mercury=>Denafrips Pontus II.

I plan on upgrading this year to a Venus 12th Anniversary…so in my mind.. why have a potential weak link between my streamer and my expensive DAC. 

…but just remember…..we are all NUTZ! 😬

49 minutes ago, Powerman said:

So I was supposed to get I2S on my DAC but didn't. That can be fixed, but is it worth fighting for? Seems the best method comes down to who implements the best solution. So specifically for Mercury... What is the best output to DAC.... USB or I2S?

It wouldn't be USB (on this device).  You're not really supposed to use USB on the Mercury for connecting to a DAC (if you're looking for the best sound). 

From the manual:

"The USB Ports are intended for attaching mass storage or USB peripherals. While they can be used to interface with an external DAC, there is no special noise reduction or isolation circuitry."

54 minutes ago, clipper said:

It wouldn't be USB (on this device).  You're not really supposed to use USB on the Mercury for connecting to a DAC (if you're looking for the best sound). 

From the manual:

"The USB Ports are intended for attaching mass storage or USB peripherals. While they can be used to interface with an external DAC, there is no special noise reduction or isolation circuitry."

Well poop. Thanks. I run my wireless with a LPS. Should be too noisy, but I get it. I really don't want to send it back, but I don't want regrets either.

1 hour ago, PoMarantz said:

On-paper I²S is the best connection. Can we hear it? I guess every situation is different.

I bought a very decent, short HDMI cable (2’…I think. You want to keep this cable super short), here: https://www.ricable.com/en/hdmi-cable

RiCable has quality goods (all-copper), very reasonable prices compared to whats's out there and their regular shipping came super-fast to the U.S. for me!

I am glad I did it. I have Mercury=>Denafrips Pontus II.

I plan on upgrading this year to a Venus 12th Anniversary…so in my mind.. why have a potential weak link between my streamer and my expensive DAC. 

…but just remember…..we are all NUTZ! 😬

I was using I2S with my Pontus and a 18" cable. I was perfectly happy. I never bothered with USB, and don't want to buy more boxes to fix USB. I don't use PC, I don't up sample. So nothing crazy, just want a clean path.

1 hour ago, Powerman said:

Well poop. Thanks. I run my wireless with a LPS. Should be too noisy, but I get it. I really don't want to send it back, but I don't want regrets either.

Indeed I2S (and the S/PDIF if one is inclined) are the only worthwhile outputs of the Mercury—its reason for being.

If your new DAC (Lampizator I think you mentioned elsewhere) is USB-only, then perhaps consider trading for a Sonore ultraRendu. Extremely well done Ethernet>USB. Small and trouble free, easy to use, and excellent software support. You might even find one used for a good price (though the most recent version they are shipping now has some final optimizations that make it the best sounding so far).

Your Mercury V2 is in limited production and a fine piece (just not special for USB), so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a buyer. I’m still enjoying my V1 unit—I2S into a Holo Spring L3.  Scales great with a first rate LPS. :)

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Indeed I2S (and the S/PDIF if one is inclined) are the only worthwhile outputs of the Mercury—its reason for being.

If your new DAC (Lampizator I think you mentioned elsewhere) is USB-only, then perhaps consider trading for a Sonore ultraRendu. Extremely well done Ethernet>USB. Small and trouble free, easy to use, and excellent software support. You might even find one used for a good price (though the most recent version they are shipping now has some final optimizations that make it the best sounding so far).

Your Mercury V2 is in limited production and a fine piece (just not special for USB), so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a buyer. I’m still enjoying my V1 unit—I2S into a Holo Spring L3.  Scales great with a first rate LPS. :)

Thanks SD. It's actually a mistake that I'm sure Lampi will make right... I'm just not sure how or how long I will be down. But it seems I must bite the bullet and just do it. Should be free to me. I understand USB isn't limited like old days and figured maybe it's a wash... But not really.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to quickly confirm something regarding the Mercury version 1 I2s output pin configuration (vers 1 is not adjustable). Some have said that Gustard dacs work out of the box with the version 1 settings, have have since seen elsewhere that others have had to change the version 2 pinout to match the Gustard r26. 

In other words:

Is the Gustard r26 different? And/or are the Mercury version 1 and version two both (still) default set to PS Audio standard? 

I’m in hopes of purchasing the R26 to be able to use the I2s input out of my version 1 Mercury if possible.

Thanks so much ahead of time! 🙏🏼

• 1 month later...

Some people said Mercury can’t do DSD 64 on l2S, I just bought Ferrum Wandla Dac … confirmed it can play DSD 64 without any issue.

IMG_3406.jpg

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

On 6/29/2023 at 9:40 PM, mitch751 said:

Some people said Mercury can’t do DSD 64 on l2S, I just bought Ferrum Wandla Dac … confirmed it can play DSD 64 without any issue.

Yeah, it was just one guy causing a ruckus on multiple forums—and being rather nasty to me when I tried to help and posted picture proof—because his Holo May or Spring 3 (with their odd PLL circuitry) was not able to play DSD with the Mercury.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, orange5o said:

Have the pl50 from fiio also, it is very good. Will say however they strongly suggest turning off the lps when not in use I.e. not leaving on all the time

What are you powering with the PL50? Are you using the PL50 to power the Pi2AES HAT for the RPi? 

Micheal had recommended a Meanwell Power Supply. Would the PL50 be a step up?

Thanks.