IGNORED

Article: Review of Stax SR-009S:  An Endgame in 2021?

Hi Sajid--Great review!  I write while listening to The White Album on my SR-009s's and you absolutely nailed it.   I might add the other +/- of the Stax (depending on your mood) is that they demand attention--multitasking is difficult because the listener is sucked into the music.

Great comparisons too.  I can't quite imagine switching from Stax, but it's wonderful that there are a handful of magnificent headphones vying to be #1, competing with speakers that are 10X their price.

Have you heard the SRM 700T amp?  Any thoughts on how it might compare?  One irony of the Stax is that I love them so much, I am dying to hear the X9000, and may upgrade from my 700T at the same time.

Cheers!

8 minutes ago, TesarPa said:

Nice review! I appreciate mainly several comparisons with other flagships, that's really important. But I miss the pricing of reviewed item. Generally, I'm usually quite annoyed when I have to search the price of an item in the middle of an article, or at the end. Even worse, when it is not there at all. My opinion (and suggestion) is to put the price in first paragraph of the article. Always, as the rule.

Yes, absolutely. Excellent and helpful suggestion. I will make sure to include the price in my next review of the Focal Stellia!

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I enjoyed reading this and it made me want to try these headphones out. I currently have the Susvara's amped with a Pass Labs XA30.8. I tried a lot of amps and spent a lot of money and I wish I had just done this first.

I loved my Susvara of the XA25. I am sure they sound incredible off the XA30.8. I will be doing a Susvara vs TC review and comparison in the future. Hope that will be of interest. 

13 hours ago, PeterG said:

Hi Sajid--Great review!  I write while listening to The White Album on my SR-009s's and you absolutely nailed it.   I might add the other +/- of the Stax (depending on your mood) is that they demand attention--multitasking is difficult because the listener is sucked into the music.

Great comparisons too.  I can't quite imagine switching from Stax, but it's wonderful that there are a handful of magnificent headphones vying to be #1, competing with speakers that are 10X their price.

Have you heard the SRM 700T amp?  Any thoughts on how it might compare?  One irony of the Stax is that I love them so much, I am dying to hear the X9000, and may upgrade from my 700T at the same time.

Cheers!

Thank you for the kind words. Glad you found it useful.

I have indeed heard the SRM 700T. Great amp! In my experience, the KGSSHV Carbon sounds a tad warmer and fuller, with slightly more energetic bass! 

16 hours ago, PeterG said:

Cheers!

I guess I'm not as enthusiastic about the SRM 700T amp driving the SR-009S. It sounds lifeless and doesn't have the "juice" to drive the 009S or the 007 MK1 adequately.

Steve Plaskin

2 hours ago, Mercman said:

I guess I'm not as enthusiastic about the SRM 700T amp driving the SR-009S. It sounds lifeless and doesn't have the "juice" to drive the 009S or the 007 MK1 adequately.

Ooo--I will file this under good news.  As in--the set up that has been great for me could be much better.  The SRM 700T is the only Stax driver I have heard.  I just checked your profile, but you do not have headphones listed.  Please advise on better electrostatic amps you've heard.  Thanks

Wonderful review, thanks for the hard work! I love my SR009, and Dan Clark Voce, headphones on a BHSE. Endgame, for me. 

have you compared the 009S to either of these?

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys