IGNORED

Article: Review of Stax SR-009S:  An Endgame in 2021?

6 hours ago, jamesjames said:

Many thanks for the review.  I've owned the SR-009S for some years, and remain captivated by it.  I thought I would mention one or two points that might be of interest to others who share my tastes.  First, I wanted to say that the Stax hasn't altogether displaced my Sennheiser HD800S phones.  I listen exclusively to classical music, much of it hi-res, and exclusively on phones - the Stax and Sennheisers.  I use a Moon 430HA amp for both, with the addition of an iFi Pro iESL e-stat energiser in the case of the Stax.  Having used many of the most highly regarded conventional e-stat drivers, I must say the less conventional Moon/iFi combination appeals to me more than any other arrangement.  I also find the Moon a perfect match for the HD800S.  But a particular advantage of the Moon in both cases for me is that it includes an excellent analogue crossfeed circuit.  I've come to regard well-implemented analogue crossfeed as crucial to getting the best out of highly revealing phones like these - I really can't go back.  With these phones, the promise of crossfeed seems to be fully realised - with a wonderful recreation of the sound-stage apparently at some distance in front of me.  I'm sure this sounds like hyperbole, but I find it simply transports me every time with good recordings.  I had long thought the HD800S was particularly effective with crossfeed (and still do), but the Stax phones are also enthralling.  I find the HD800S has a wonderful directness sometimes missing with the Stax, and sometimes a more convincing timbre.  But I love them both.

Regards

James

Yes, I agree with that. I love my HD800S. I have the Susvara, TC, LCD5, etc., but I love having the HD800S around. Other than the soundstage width, I love the timbre on the HD800S and it does beat a lot of TOTL / Summitfi headphones for timbre, IMO. And it is a bit more intimate compared to the 009S. 

15 hours ago, goldwerger said:

A really fantastic right-up Sajid, gives a great feel for where this headphone is placed relative to others. Enjoyed reading it :)

Although different league, age, and tuning - as I know you’ve recently listened to the SR-007 mk1, I’d be curious to know how you would compare and contrast these two?

thanks again!

Eyal

Hello Eyal,

Glad you enjoyed the write-up.

Yes, I am indeed listening to the MK1.

The TLDR is that the MK1 is a lot less technically proficient than the 009S but I enjoy it a lot, lot more, lol.

The MK1 has excellent bass, thicker midrange, a more intimate presentation and overall a dark, fun headphone with treble sparkle, that works across all genres.

The 009S is a technical masterpiece and although very musical, overall, given my other headphones, I have been preferring the presentation of the 007 MK1.

Hope that helps.