IGNORED

Clocks and the nature of time

jabbr

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Who is going to be the first to market Quantum Clocks to audiophiles?

We are getting there already ....

https://www.presonus.com/products/Audio-Interfaces#c-Thunderbolt-Audio-Interfaces

https://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/listening_85/index.html

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

For argument's sake, we shall be way beyond digits come the next (quantum?) clock revolution. Our language will be different. We won't be talking about computers. No DACs. Nothing like that.

Maybe devices embedded in our brains - stimulating our "music appreciation nodes", distributing subconsciously "civic obedience instructions" variable on monitoring all kinds of biometrics "for our own preservation".

Probably most of us will be long dead by then. Perhaps "ordinary" (non-laboratory) human reproduction now a most infrequent privilege.

I shudder to think what pop music will be like.

Probably two types: "official" Big Brother "muzak" ...

... and underground revolutionary appeals - harking back to primitive story-telling and nostalgia for the analogue era - not that anyone will be able to remember it.

All assuming, of course, that we haven't obliterated ourselves armed with intervening technology.

The longer I live, the more I am grateful that I was born in a place and time when (military) conscription has been improbable (much to do with nuclear deterrent no doubt). And the more I fear calamity befalling evolving generations. As a species we are just not in control of ourselves.

Time can be both merciful and brutal.

No matter how it is measured (or produced from human will).

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:53 AM, GregWormald said:

That's what I like, a little optimism.x-D

Every generation seems to be able to see the devastation coming, and always from different causes. It hasn't happened yet. 

As I have no choice in which era I'm living I'll just continue to do the best I can, and enjoy what I'm able.

Actually, it's happening in slow motion and has been for a long time.