IGNORED

What system would you buy if you had unlimited resources.?

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Can I park my cars outside and turn my garage into a listening studio?  ;-)

Of course! Even a swimming pool!

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Honestly, I am not sure. There would be a lot of listening required before I made a choice.

No time for that, you have to choose right now based on your knowledge and Google.. 

No listening tests - that's one more rule..

2 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...but actually, I'd get a pair of those MBL reference speakers *only* because I host a lot of hot-shot scientists and I could completely befuddle them, and tell them I'm experimenting with time travel, because those babies are *freaky* cool looking. 

Serious Jeff Goldblum/The Fly apparatus.

I might just pump AM talk radio through them, for a dedicated *news only* system. My real system is below ground in my zombie prepper-bunker, and I don't talk about that *at all.*

Maybe a set of reference CH+ monos to drive 'em (open to suggestions)? Pre-amp? CH, I guess. I *adore* system synergy. 

Custom cables made of the spun lockets of angels, coated in 24K gold. WBT connectors. It's my dream, OK? 

Vibration treatment? Amateurs. The *entire house* is on seismic springs. And internally cooled to 35^F for SQ purposes. 

Cold? Of course it's cold. But this is HiFi people...

Now that's a way to have some fun!

No electron left behind.

39 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...but actually, I'd get a pair of those MBL reference speakers *only* because I host a lot of hot-shot scientists and I could completely befuddle them, and tell them I'm experimenting with time travel, because those babies are *freaky* cool looking. 

I once said 'no' to MBL distributor regarding his proposal of 'having a listen'. I think I was afraid they might transport me back to the times when there was no good audio x-D My employee who was with me had never forgiven me that! x-D 

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I would put a microphone under water in the pool and make recordings of MQA and non MQA for us to debate the merits and sonics of...

..of underwater acoustics.? A very interesting topic..

I'm actually thinking quite seriously about making an open water diving certificate so might want to go back to this..

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

How many small towns does he provide heat for with 800 watt class A tube amps?

👍 I had 60 such watts, it was enough for my back then 25m2 listening room.. The balcony door had usually to stay open during listening in summer (the climate was much colder in the 90s!)

5 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

👍 I had 60 such watts, it was enough for my back then 25m2 listening room.. The balcony door had usually to stay open during listening in summer (the climate was much colder in the 90s!)

I have a Pass XA30.8 and it's enough for my room...

No electron left behind.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:23 PM, sphinxsix said:

not a new house or apartment

Neil Young didn't have to buy anything new for his legendary tale about having Graham Nash over to listen to his new LP 'Harvest'. The roadies loaded a speaker into the house and a speaker into the barn. Graham and Neil rowed out on the lake, with Neil yelling back "More House" and "More Barn" to get the balance right.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2002/apr/07/features.review7

I guess I'd love to be able to play music that loud without bothering the neighbours - equally confident that they would never bother me.

Other than that? I don't want to sound precious - but I would only go so far in a world of want. Linn - not Audio Note. That kind of thing.

37 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

👍 I had 60 such watts,

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is the most impressive room I've ever been in and I often think about it. https://positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

When it comes to gear I dream about, probably a full Kondo electronics system, a dCS stack, and either Wilson Master Chronosonic or Rockport Lyra speakers.

Don't know much about stratospheric systems but the amp/speaker philosophy in your system seems to be rather different from that in Winston Ma's room. Which Kondo model would meet drive requirements for the speakers in question?

32 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

👍 I had 60 such watts

26 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a Pass XA30.8 and it's enough for my room...

I have 7 watts in my main system which is usually tougher than me in a loudness grinding match. So I figure the 40w on my boombox in the kitchen would be enough for any situation anywhere...

8 minutes ago, accwai said:

I have 7 watts in my main system which is usually tougher than me in a loudness grinding match. So I figure the 40w on my boombox in the kitchen would be enough for any situation anywhere...

I can't speak for the others, but I was referring to the heat output by the Class A design of my amp.

No electron left behind.

51 minutes ago, accwai said:

Which Kondo model would meet drive requirements for the speakers in question?

Maybe Kaguras in bi- or tri-amping configuration would work with huge Wilsons but probably would only almost work though, I somehow tend to believe.

Beside that, frankly - I didn't suspect @The Computer Audiophile would like a tube amplification.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love Winston's room, not his audio system.

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When it comes to gear I dream about, probably a full Kondo electronics system,

As for me..

A couple of these.

[IMG]

A couple of these.

[IMG]
[IMG]

These. A search for a better CD/SACD transport probably wouldn't make sense but given a chance I would love to compare the DCS with e.g. Audiomeca Mephisto or belt CEC in this regard.

[IMG]

And I would only need some server with 10TB HD, would probably need some time to decide :)