IGNORED

Article: Introducing Hang Loose Convolver From Accurate Sound

4 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

This is exciting!  Brings me closer to getting into DRC with the AU plugin on a Mac running Audirvana (with what appears will be minimal hassle).

Bill

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

Yes, other convolvers have been around; seems like mostly from the pro sector.  This one could be cool as it will hopefully be easy to use and has been developed by a good friend of the forum/audiophiles. 

Thanks Bill! As a +25 year pro software developer, this is one of my main goals. Make it easy to configure and operate from a user's perspective. From a developers perspective, creating software that is easy to use takes more time and effort.

Good luck on your journey.

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

@The Computer Audiophile will this be available on Linux? Many users here use Linux based systems. I feel Euphony is best sounding for my liking (IMHO). Having convolution functionality with Euphony would be icing on the cake..

Hey Michael, yes available on Linux soon. I just need the Linux distro and supported C++ compiler to target a release on.

2 hours ago, bbosler said:

I'm a big Fan of Mitch's work currently using Audiolense room correction filters he developed for me to use in HQplayer . I see Hang Loose as a big step forward in the evolution of digital processing implementation so looking forward to exploring how it might fit into my system. I applaud Mitch's efforts to simplify the implementation of convolution for the non-geeks. One thing I need to look at, does Hang Loose offer enough things I can't do with the way I'm implementing convolution in HQP to make me try it?

My initial question is ,, where does Hang Loose  grab the digital stream? I see Hang Loose is limited to 384K and the Mac pass through is limited to 192K, didn't see what the Windows limit is. For those of us who up-sample to the max rate of our DAC, will Hang Loose limit that ability? Like I said, I use convolution in HQP which does the convolution at the file's native rate and then HQP  up-samples to 16FS.  If Hang loose grabs the stream before it is up-sampled it will work for me as I have no files above a native rate of 192K. Obviously if Hang Loose grabs it after HQP it won't. For those using PGGB to up-sample files to 16-32FS before playback it is a nonstarter.

For those using Pure Music or Pure Vinyl software on a Mac which can accept AU and not VST,  the availability of AU plugins is a big +. 

Hey Bruce, good to hear from you and thanks for your kind words. I am taking feature requests :-)

As far as I know, HQP does not support VST3 plugins. So currently the digital stream for HLC is after the HQP upsample. I don't know what the API capability of HQP is as I haven't looked into it yet. Maybe there is a way...

Kind regards,

Mitch

3 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

I have several questions:

1. With a VST3 plugin, does this mean that HAF’s Room Shaper can be loaded into HLC, and then through HQP desktop thereafter, running convolution filters in either HLC or HQP, and then on to Roon?

2. How does HLC compare to the new Audiolense Convolver product?

3. Can HLC be configured to apply convolution filters for the audio tracks from Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc?

4. Sorry, but I’m not clear on the DLNA benefit.  What’s the use case there?

These might be @mitchco questions to answer. :) Thanks. JCR 

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your questions.

1) No Room Shaper cannot be loaded into HLC. 

2) Bernt is one of my DSP Partner's :-)

3) Yes, see the System Wide Audio section in the HLC Operations Guide.

4) Chris answered that one.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Hi @deneb Thanks! Re: Acourate cpv is Acourate's proprietary filter format. But it is easy to generate the filter format HLC will accept from Acourate in a minute or 2. In Macro 4, select 32 bit stereo .wav format and generate as before. From the Room menu, select Create Acourate for Roon ZIP and that will place all of the filters at different sample rates in a zip file. In HLC, select the zip file and you are good to go.

Kind regards,

Mitch

10 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

@mitchco Very glad to see this coming up! Can't say enough good things about you. Your Computer Audiophile Acourate articles inspired me to go digitally active an into Acourate, which I still use. That opened the door into DIY speakers, and your ebook was essential to getting a better grasp on measurements and use of Acourate. And you have always been very helpful on email exchanges. Outstanding member of this community!

Where does HLC fit into my system? I have Roon Core in a PC convolving filters to send 4-way stereo to a headless AudioPC with Roon Bridge at the living room, and I operate Roon from the phone app. I listen to files in my library in Roon Core PC and also Tidal streaming into Roon in that PC. I guess HLC plugs into Roon, takes the feed from Roon that is actually Tidal stream or my music files, convolves it with the selected filter, and outputs into Roon again to be sent to Roon Bridge on the AudioPC?

Is there a phone app to manage this or should I be at the Roon Core machine (Teamviewer can solve that), or does it integrate with Roon app?

Looking forward to learn more! Congrats again!!

Best,

Horacio

Hi Horacio, good to hear from you! I hope all is well.

Currently, HLC standalone app uses either VB-Virtual Audio cable on Windows or BlackHole on the Mac to "loopback" the output of Roon into the input of HLC and the output of HLC to your DAC. This is a 32 bit float lossless connection. Unfortunately, Roon does not support the VST plugin standard, so this is the current method of connection. I am working on options. Also note HLC processes 2 channel at the moment, but will be MCH soon. 

Kind regards,

Mitch

Hi @cfishersorry no info yet, but working on it. Re: HLC, the advantage is to determine which filter you prefer as I will be releasing a "set" of filters. One will be "neutral" and others will have a little more or less bass. more or less treble relative to neutral. The design behind this will come later, but by switching through the filters, one will likely be preferred.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:28 AM, Jørgen Skadhauge said:

wonderfull, please let me know when your Multichannel HLC is availble. These days I am playing with the new Audirvana Studio which to my ears is even more transparent than the previous 3.5. So right now in Audirvana I upscale the stereo signal and sent it to the AcourateConvolver. With your VST3 files the stereo signal goes through the VST3 for being processed and then upscaled right before going to DAC ? if it is an advantage the signal sent to the DAC could then be a DSD or DXD signal? Merging Technologies likes DSD and DXD. Never tried, but in another simple setup I use a RME ADI2 dac and here I prefer PCM to DSD.

Best  regards,

Jorgen

Hi Jorgen, yes HLC is plugged in before the resampler. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Iansr said:

If I already have JRiver and use its convolver to implement filter settings derived from say AudiolLens, would there be any advantage in buying and using HLC?   This is a genuine question and not an attempt to slight HLC.

On my website and in the operations guide describes, "Why Hang Loose Convolver." In the case of JRiver, the VST3 plugin is used for both Mac and Windows versions of JRiver. The setup and configuration is described in the operations guide.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:36 AM, Confused said:

@mitchco - once HLC is fully set up and running with multiple convolutions installed, what is required to switch between convolutions?  Is it a simple one press of a key an the keyboard, or a click of the mouse somewhere?

Yes, mouse click on the big Filterbank buttons to switch filters. I could implement keyboard shortcuts, but I have not looked into it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@RacerxnetSorry, not yet. It is on my todo list, but I don't have an ETA as I am currently working on other DSP projects.

One can download and install HLC in bypass mode to ensure the entire signal path works for the intended scenario(s). If that works then one can purchase a license key and activate HLC. I offer a 14 day money back guarantee so if it is not to your liking, I will happily refund the entire amount.

Kind regards,

Mitch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...