IGNORED

Trust your ears

39 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that many subjectivists want to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to be able to freely share their opinions on the rest of the forum without being "harassed" by objectivists AND come into this sub-forum to attack those with a more objectivist view of the world.

I encourage people to report this when it happens in either subjective or objective forums. It ain't right. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, PeterSt said:

It was objective. I asked to proved something which should make the thread subject legit.

So, move the thread then ?

Some people seem to think it is still fun in here.

It is not. Not at all.

Mind you, the same people bash at everyone by now. I can do too, until I'm banned. But I'd sincerely hope you ban the others first. After that it may be a better world, again. And again for a while maybe.

Really ...

Peter, if you don't have fun here, I highly recommend you take some time away. 

It's also not lost on me that @March Audio seems to find his way into every argumentative thread. 

People bashing isn't allowed. If you see it, report it.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

I don't think the subject of the thread is all that controversial. The definition of "ears" in "Trust your ears" might be 😎

As an objectively-minded person, I fully trust my ears. I trust my ears to tell me if I prefer something, if I enjoy something, or if I can hear differences, and also if I cannot. To me "my ears" means just that -- my ears and my brain. No other senses should exert an influence, not any preconceived notions, opinions of others, no reviews, or even measurements. 

Since I have no way to block all these external influences out of my mind, a good double-blind test is the only way I know to determine what I'm actually hearing. The only way to exclude all the superfluous influences that have nothing to do with sound. It's not that I like taking blind tests, or that I think they are a fun way to spend the time. It's that I've been fooled enough times in sighted/non-blinded tests to know that it is an unreliable way to judge. So, I can fully agree with the subject of the thread, if we can only make a tiny change:  Trust only your ears.

Well said.

1 minute ago, skikirkwood said:

As you can see from my profile, I don't post a lot here. And I don't post on any other audiophile forum. So when I'm not listening to music I try to do something useful for the community at large. I spent many hours nights and weekends creating Volumio's Spotify plug-in a few years ago. It was a lot of work, and my first major project coding in Node.js. But it was a lot of fun and it feels good to know that many of the 400,000 active Volumio users are enjoying listening to Spotify with the code I wrote.

And as for my original post here, it itself was bit of an experiment. I was curious what range of reactions the post would elicit, and wanted to see how quickly somebody would personally insult me. It didn't take that long. That's why I don't usually post stuff here.

Where’s the personal insult? I will take action. 

31 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

I need to upgrade my 22 year old Bryston Amp. I need to upgrade my Modi's to Yggy's. No, I don't, I am happy as is. And when someone tells me I need to do an expensive upgrade to achieve better sound quality, but it won't, I challenge them to prove it to me with a simple bet. Nobody has ever taken me up on this.

Given this is the objective sub forum, do you know how your 22 year old amp measures compared to the day it was released? Would be really interesting to see how well it has held up, given there are parts that age within the amp. 

I will clean up this thread, but it's a real soup sandwich. I'm about to record a podcast and will get to it later today. 

If people can't help themselves, I'll just lock it. 

Remember, use the IGNORE feature for people you don't get along with. Nobody at home is keeping score. You don't have to respond to everything.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 8.10.45 AM.png

@PeterSt and @manueljenkin stay out of this thread. Start your own if you want to talk about anything related to this thread. 

It just doesn’t work to have you guys commenting on this thread. I hate to say it, but it’s true. Fortunately, you’re free to say what you’d like in another thread. 

1 minute ago, Jud said:

That’s what I’m saying I believe I recall: Toole and/or Olive referring to an orientation given listeners they characterized as untrained, and when I tracked down the orientation, it did indeed talk about how to listen for flatter frequency response.

Let’s ask @Tonmeister (Sean Olive). 

1 minute ago, skikirkwood said:

I have no idea, but that certainly would be interesting to find out. I believe when I sent the amp for the frayed chord  back to Bryston they "tuned up" everything, perhaps upgrading some capacitors and other things. And I know they did do measurements on it before they sent it back to me.

If I could get my hands on some Schiit Aegirs and Vidars I would love to A/B them compared to the Bryston. But I'm not confident enough that I will hear a difference to risk having to pay for the restocking fees.

This would be a really cool topic for another thread. How well does equipment measure long after the date it's put in use. We talk-up components that last a long time, but I've never seen measurements of such component. Do they turn on and produce music for a long time or do they measure within the window of acceptable change once they are 20+ years old. Interesting stuff. 

2 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

It was several years ago, but I remember when I talked to the Bryston tech on the phone he mentioned how they fully measure/test every piece of equipment sent to them for repair and ensure the product meets their measurement criteria before shipping it back to you. I thought that was really interesting. I think Bryston tech repair in the U.S. is one dude working in Vermont. If it's the same one, he's very friendly, and would probably tell you in more detail what their process is here. 

Bryston is a great company. If you missed my interview with James for the podcast, here's a link -