IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

Thanks to some Miska Magic, my Mac Mini M1 has now broken the "sound barrier"!!

DSD64 (& DSD128 &DSD256) to DSD512 (without noisy i9 fans).

My settings are -

HQP 4.18.1, buffer Default, 48k DSD, AMSDM7 512+fs, grey Multicore DSP, FIR2, wide.

But I cannot get AMSDM7EC 512+fs to work without dropouts.

Also PCM96 (and up to 352.8 PCM) to DSD512

gauss-hires.

And PCM44.1 to DSD512

gauss xla

The SQ improvement over DSD256 is fantastic!

Thank you Miska.

Finally added a MMM1 16Gb on my chain. I was tired of my noisy/powersucker PC (i9/RTX3090) on the other room.

The MAY appreciates it, and we even more appreciate Miska's creature!

image.thumb.png.3e5a429b93bc4d7fe36678a9acfa52ab.png

Facebook ZMF headphones club founder

🎧 Headphones (using): Apple MMM1 > Roon+HQPlayer > RPI4 NAA > Holo Audio MAY > Gillmore's CFA3 | MHZ EL34/E88CC Tube Amp > Abyss 1266 Phi TC (SC) | ZMF Atrium LTD

30 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

You should set the rate limit to "48k x256" since the May supports that.

Ok, I will :) ty!

Facebook ZMF headphones club founder

🎧 Headphones (using): Apple MMM1 > Roon+HQPlayer > RPI4 NAA > Holo Audio MAY > Gillmore's CFA3 | MHZ EL34/E88CC Tube Amp > Abyss 1266 Phi TC (SC) | ZMF Atrium LTD

On 4/11/2022 at 6:40 AM, Miska said:

It should work for 1x on M1 Mini, for Nx you need to select something else like gauss-long or gauss-hires.

Still can't get poly-sinc-gauss-xla with ASDM7ECv2 to run at DSD256. I had an mds_stores issue that was taking a lot of cpu power but got that fixed. HQP is using 79-80%, system 3 or 4% more so I have about 15% left, but still get a regular stutter every 10 seconds or so. 

Is there any else I can try? Also, I'm on v4.18.1

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Just now, rah50 said:

Still can't get poly-sinc-gauss-xla with ASDM7ECv2 to run at DSD256. I had an mds_stores issue that was taking a lot of cpu power but got that fixed. HQP is using 79-80%, system 3 or 4% more so I have about 15% left, but still get a regular stutter every 10 seconds or so. 

I can't get it on my M1 either.

1 hour ago, rah50 said:

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

I can't get it on my M1 either.

Are you sure you have the native arm64 version installed? And not the x64 one?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Here is my screenshot of xla not working and yes, I'm on arm64 version too. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.770517f0b21ee0db15ec543f211bc11f.png

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

17 minutes ago, rah50 said:

Here is my screenshot of xla not working and yes, I'm on arm64 version too. Thoughts?

44.1 -> DSD256x48 will cost extra computing power. It looks like you forced both families (44.1 and 48) upsampling to DSD256x48...

My M1 mini works quite well.

490041556_Image2022-4-28at12_22AM.thumb.jpg.9130af6b0747d0b49994715b2fa17534.jpg

Good catch, I’ll try that as soon as I get home!

Bob

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

44.1 -> DSD256x48 will cost extra computing power. It looks like you forced both families (44.1 and 48) upsampling to DSD256x48...

490041556_Image2022-4-28at12_22AM.thumb.jpg.9130af6b0747d0b49994715b2fa17534.jpg

Well that was it. It reduced cpu utilization down from 80% to 60% and it sounds fabulous! Big thank you.

Bob

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Thanks, That was it for me as well. On the M1 it is either xla or rate family conversion but not both at the same time. Rate family conversion works fine with all the other Gauss filters just not xla.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

Thanks, That was it for me as well. On the M1 it is either xla or rate family conversion but not both at the same time. Rate family conversion works fine with all the other Gauss filters just not xla.

Note that going from 48k-base to 44.1k x256 is lighter than going from 44.1k-base to 48k x256. So the more typical required case is lighter on the CPU/RAM.

Prior to the previous Roon update, I was able to play DSD256x48 and ASDM5ECv2 or 7ECv2: 

1x - poly-sinc-gauss-xla

Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-long or any of the newer poly-gauss hires versions

Since the update I've lost the ability to play any poly-gauss options or poly-gauss hires versions without experiencing dropouts with hires content.  1x - still plays poly-sinc-gauss-xla perfectly after the updates for redbook.  

I've updated to Monterey 12.3.1 and the new Roon update this morning with no changes.  I've believe I've tried every conceivable option with Multicore DSP and Adaptive output rates.  Setting Buffer time to 250 ms seems to help but I still experience an occasional dropout.    

6 hours ago, Hoshi said:

Prior to the previous Roon update, I was able to play DSD256x48 and ASDM5ECv2 or 7ECv2: 

1x - poly-sinc-gauss-xla

Nx - poly-sinc-gauss-long or any of the newer poly-gauss hires versions

Since the update I've lost the ability to play any poly-gauss options or poly-gauss hires versions without experiencing dropouts with hires content.  1x - still plays poly-sinc-gauss-xla perfectly after the updates for redbook.  

I've updated to Monterey 12.3.1 and the new Roon update this morning with no changes.  I've believe I've tried every conceivable option with Multicore DSP and Adaptive output rates.  Setting Buffer time to 250 ms seems to help but I still experience an occasional dropout.    

Check that you don't have any Roon DSP enabled. And you are on latest arm64 HQPlayer as well?

Roon shouldn't have such a big difference in performance, unless it is doing some background activity like scanning/analysis (also check that these are set to "Throttled".

Output is to some locally connected DAC? Does it work without Roon, using HQPlayer as standalone player?

Roon DSP has been disabled and I am using the ARM64 version of HQPlayer 4.18.1.  I believe went back and I've tried HQPlayer versions going back to 4.16.0 all with the same results.  Background activity are Throttled.  

Output from the Mac mini M1 goes to a MicroRendu 1.4 -> Denafrips Hermes DDC -> Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  

I tried using the HQPlayer client 4.18 bypassing Roon and I also experience the same dropouts.  

The Hermes DDC seems to have been the culprit as once removed the dropouts have disappeared.  Do you have any idea on what the DDC is doing to cause the issue?  I will contact Denafrips.  

Thanks Miska....

9 hours ago, Hoshi said:

The Hermes DDC seems to have been the culprit as once removed the dropouts have disappeared.  Do you have any idea on what the DDC is doing to cause the issue?  I will contact Denafrips.  

Only potential reason I can think of is I2S clocking. For example if DDC sends DSD at 48k multiple and the DAC doesn't support it. Or if there's a PLL on the I2S input receiver and it keeps slipping or uses wrong reference clock (wrong rate family detection).

I have a problem in registering my HQPlayer software. Actually I live in 2 places, rather two countries , India and Thailand.

When I first purchased and Registered my HQPlayer 4 software on my Mac mini M1, I was in New Delhi India.

Now I am in Bangkok Thailand and unable to register HQPlayer on my Mac mini here.

Is there any restriction on using the same KEY at two places, BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME USING BOTH. I will be using only one at a time.

I am also using Roon with lifetime subscription. And I keep switching my subscription every time I travel between these two countries without any problem.

Anyone who can help me out. Or may be Miska ?

12 hours ago, SKR said:

I have a problem in registering my HQPlayer software. Actually I live in 2 places, rather two countries , India and Thailand.

When I first purchased and Registered my HQPlayer 4 software on my Mac mini M1, I was in New Delhi India.

Now I am in Bangkok Thailand and unable to register HQPlayer on my Mac mini here.

Is there any restriction on using the same KEY at two places, BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME USING BOTH. I will be using only one at a time.

It should work fine as long as you have only one copy running at a time.

• 3 weeks later...