IGNORED

Red Underwear, Cheap Fiats and Other Moto Stuff

1 minute ago, PYP said:

That took me back, way back :)   My older brother always had homework (he did, he just didn't do it).   Think this is why I never got interested in cars.  But there was an upside:  my Dad also assembled/built his own stereo and it was my introduction to great sound.

It was amazing how many men related to that one!  As an OCD overachiever I tried so hard to be perfect! :)

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

I'll stop now :)

Sorry again for the thread-clutter.

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

40 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

Built the case from scratch.  At least some of the "underwear" (wires and resistors) are red!

IMG_0894.thumb.jpeg.404366209ebf4acb5d78e25f87a41778.jpeg

Looks familiar.  Some of my Dad's stuff was a bit funky (like his cars when he moved beyond US autos) -- his tuner required two hands to operate, one for the tuner selector knob and the other to insert an extended paper clip (can't remember what that did).  I never touched the gear,  just listened.  My parent's bedroom was the listening room.  His Bozak mid, with tweeter suspended in the middle, was in a cutout in their close closet.  A thin wire descended across the room (with the crossover, all of one component, suspended in air) to a very large cabinet with a woofer (the open baffle and sound dampening material made it multipurpose - our cat deposited her kittens there).  Simple stuff, but the sound was amazing and LOUD (a neighbor had a mishap when sitting on his throne and he heard what seemed to be a train coming through the bathroom door -- one of my Dad's test records).  My poor Mother :)    Oops, sorry, car thread.  The flashlight thing got me nostalgic...

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Wow @PYP, you are blessed with great memories.  Great sharing!

@bluesman, he worships at the altar of all things Duane Allman (second would be Coltrane- you can hear the chord changes of his "My Favorite Things" on lots of his stuff).  Has read the books, all the stories, and with his great memory is a font of knowledge.  He was such musician, such a virtuoso.  I have all the boxed sets (Fillmore, SUNY, Atlanta Pop, the "Skydog" boxed set with all of his work as a sideman, etc.).  The stories from the Muscle Shoals session guys of when he was there are great.

He has gone deep into the discography, but for years listened to this track at least daily.  Wonderful:

I have never seem a 7 string Les Paul.  Cool.  He is of course Gibson through and through.  Les Paul, with an SG for slide work.

Building the Bassman as a head was cool.  He had a 5 watt Gries combo, single 12", just plugs the head into the speaker, so pretty compact and plenty for the venues he plays, though can mic it for larger.

Your description of making music as a unit is so good.  Even playing trumpet in the HS band gives a glimpse of it.  It is heaven for him.

@PYP, think we are all feeling nostalgic in good ways.

@sphinxsix kick us out or censor us if you want!

Bill

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

I fully support that.

I was able to get one of the few Z3 coupes that came to the US.  A close friend had a ‘98 M Coupe, and I thought the body was gorgeous.  But I didn’t want the intensive maintenance the M required (like adjusting solid lifters and a host of other old school issues now long gone from Ms), and he had a few failures (brakes and electrical) in year 1.   So I set my sights on a Z3C.  

I happened to be passing a BMW dealer in ‘99 and spotted her parked against the wall. I made an immediate U turn across a 4 lane road, pulled up to confirm her identity, called my wife, and told her I’d be a few hours late because I was buying a new car.

I truly loved that car even though we came from different cultures.  I’m a 42 long and Gretel was a 40 regular at best.  She was rather high maintenance when we met, with 13 warranty visits in the 1st 18 months for serious stuff like a failed transmission, a rear sway bar mount that fell off rather loudly at speed in a turn, and 3 episodes in which every warning light on the dash came on at once.  I hate unreliability in my street cars.  But she was the sexiest car I ever had and true love won out for us both.  She softened her attitude and behaved perfectly for the rest of our years together.

Our relationships with cars could also support an objective vs subjective forum.  My main objective metric for how much I love a car is how many failures I’ll tolerate before replacing it.  Curiously enough, that seems dependent on the purely subjective and unmeasurable thrill I get when it’s running fine and whether I still love to see it in my garage when it’s not.  I still have a few pieces of audio gear that I never use but love having.

I have driven both the Z3M and Z4M coupes and loved them both. If I had the space I would probably own a Z4M coupe.

No electron left behind.

50 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Is the problem with BMWs which Jeremy Clarkson described by simply saying (while testing the '6' which he liked) - 'you want everybody on the road to hate you - get a Beemer!' - a typically European one, guys.?

Not anymore......

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 minutes ago, bluesman said:

To be easily seen by traffic moving around them when they stop running.

[just a riff on an old motoring joke about legendary Fiat reliability - the new ones are apparently almost as robust as real cars 🤪]

With an accent on 'almost' I believe, just like in case e.g. Alphas.

BTW mine was blue and I had chosen the right moment to sell it, didn't cost me a lot, I was probably lucky..

The next owner of mine added a nitro, bigger turbo and some top gas (that was a crime for me back then!) installation. I had a chance to drive it after this tuning, IMO it simply had too much power.. He began to go to a race track, I've also heard he posted on Youtube a video on which the Fiat's speedometer reaches maximum and the car is still accelerating..  I think it's quite possible that in this version this was the fastest Fiat ever x-D (before the tuning the max speed was 250km/h). 

He had fun for 1 year before the engine spectacularly died.. (somehow not surprising, I think) B|