IGNORED

The girl from Ipanema – so what key do you play it in?

This got me curious.
Apparently there's no comprehensive stats on the most covered song. Some lists claim it's "Yesterday"; others say "Summertime", and so on.

I did read that apparently between 1965 and 2000 the song Yesterday in one of it's forms had been played on radio 7 million times by US DJs.

Nice royalties for Lennon and McCartney.....not to mention the publisher.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My dad used to write all the songs out in a fakebook so he always had them for other musicians he had not familiar with them. He used to transpose them on the fly. He was really good at that. Near the end of his career, with the fancy new keyboards he could play everything in C if he wanted to and it came out in any key he wanted. I couldn’t do the stuff he could but my son the singer, songwriter and keyboardist has the same ability. It just skipped over me.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

My dad used to write all the songs out in a fakebook so he always had them for other musicians he had not familiar with them. He used to transpose them on the fly. He was really good at that. Near the end of his career, with the fancy new keyboards he could play everything in C if he wanted to and it came out in any key he wanted. I couldn’t do the stuff he could but my son the singer, songwriter and keyboardist has the same ability. It just skipped over me.

Today’s electronic fake books will transpose for you - choose the desired key and the score changes to it.  The good ones tell you the original key(s) and open to them.  In the old days, fake books were hand scored, illegal (because no royalties were paid) and subject to confiscation.  Those who sold them were also subject to legal action, so they were kept hidden and only sold to trusted students or customers.

I still have my 5 originals, the first of which I got for $10 in a loose leaf notebook in 1959.  Pictured below is that one, along with the first spiral bound one I got a few years later.  Some fake books were mimeographed, some were original scores, and many had transcription errors.  And the cheap ones were basically useless. So we had to listen ahead and quickly identify specious-looking changes when sight reading new tunes on a job.  Because each covered a limited spectrum of music, we had to carry a few (jazz, pop, show tunes etc), which meant another bag or briefcase to schlep.

779A156E-2A4E-4BB7-A974-A05502BBDFC3.thumb.jpeg.00a85c09c207ebcd27666d9cb8a546ea.jpeg

1 hour ago, astrotoy said:

I am fortunate to have a very nice 15ips 2 track tape copy of the Getz/Gilberto album.  Spectacular sound.  It has the full version of the song with Joao Gilberto playing the guitar and singing the original Portuguese lyrics and then his wife Astrud follows singing the English lyrics. 

Wow, that's interesting ! I have the HDTracks version and the sound is not great, but still listenable.It suffers some compression (DR 12? so not massively bad by measure) and maybe got rematered/Eq ? There is a upper bass muddiness and something wrong with the timbre of Astrud's voice (beyond sibilance) and Getz sax also is not right. The sax jumps out at you at times. I am being picky but wonder if you have heard this version compared to the tape copy?

Cheers

David

Edit - This probably explains a bit, from the CD

"Numerous friends have recommended that I obtain this recording for my collection.Eventually, I yielded to their entreaties, and to temptation, and bought the album.

To be honest, I was not impressed at my first auditioning. The sound quality was clearly not five-star, though the music was very nice. My taste suggested that the two vocalists lacked in professionalism: the acoustic harmonics of the female voice, recorded in a separate chamber, were so dissimilar from the other elements of the recording that I was left with the impression her part was like a lump of ice-cream offered as a side-order to a hot entrée. On the other hand, Stan Getz was in great shape, tip-top prime-time shape,and that was the best thing in the album.

On later occasions, I listened again and again to this album, at the request of visiting friends. I began to enjoy it for its very natural singing, and the group's successful creation of an intimate, cozy atmosphere. I began to listen to the music, and forget the sound discrepancies.

Last year, I met with a senior executive of Universal Music to acquire a few titles from the Verve recording vault, and he recommended this album, along with We Get Requests. I gladly accepted his offer.

In the months since then, this album has been twice re-mastered at Flair Studios, JVC, Tokyo! I worked quite hard with Takeshi Hakkaman, the brilliant young engineer who is the master of the superb K2 HD sound. We tried to minimize the nasal quality and chattiness of the male voice, and the wiry elements of the female. At the conclusion of our first attempt, we thought we had succeeded. However, when I afterwards listened to the CDR at home, I felt we needed still further improvement. I asked Takeshi to return to the task.

The version on this album is thus, finally, re-mastered to the best sound we could achieve.

Please listen to what we have done. I love it; I hope you will, too.

Winston Ma

Spring, 2009"

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I have several versions of this and it does seem to one of the songs that is simple yet hard.

I defer to the experts on this one.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 8/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, bluesman said:

Her 50th birthday was in 2012 - the song was written in 1962.  The album by Getz and Gilberto won a Grammy in 1965.

The vast majority of the releases of this album, both on vinyl and CD, have the channels reversed, with Astrud Gilberto's voice on the right. In the original recording, her voice was on the left.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 8/17/2020 at 1:54 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Wow, that's interesting ! I have the HDTracks version and the sound is not great, but still listenable.It suffers some compression (DR 12? so not massively bad by measure) and maybe got rematered/Eq ? There is a upper bass muddiness and something wrong with the timbre of Astrud's voice (beyond sibilance) and Getz sax also is not right. The sax jumps out at you at times. I am being picky but wonder if you have heard this version compared to the tape copy?

Cheers

David

Edit - This probably explains a bit, from the CD

"Numerous friends have recommended that I obtain this recording for my collection.Eventually, I yielded to their entreaties, and to temptation, and bought the album.

To be honest, I was not impressed at my first auditioning. The sound quality was clearly not five-star, though the music was very nice. My taste suggested that the two vocalists lacked in professionalism: the acoustic harmonics of the female voice, recorded in a separate chamber, were so dissimilar from the other elements of the recording that I was left with the impression her part was like a lump of ice-cream offered as a side-order to a hot entrée. On the other hand, Stan Getz was in great shape, tip-top prime-time shape,and that was the best thing in the album.

On later occasions, I listened again and again to this album, at the request of visiting friends. I began to enjoy it for its very natural singing, and the group's successful creation of an intimate, cozy atmosphere. I began to listen to the music, and forget the sound discrepancies.

Last year, I met with a senior executive of Universal Music to acquire a few titles from the Verve recording vault, and he recommended this album, along with We Get Requests. I gladly accepted his offer.

In the months since then, this album has been twice re-mastered at Flair Studios, JVC, Tokyo! I worked quite hard with Takeshi Hakkaman, the brilliant young engineer who is the master of the superb K2 HD sound. We tried to minimize the nasal quality and chattiness of the male voice, and the wiry elements of the female. At the conclusion of our first attempt, we thought we had succeeded. However, when I afterwards listened to the CDR at home, I felt we needed still further improvement. I asked Takeshi to return to the task.

The version on this album is thus, finally, re-mastered to the best sound we could achieve.

Please listen to what we have done. I love it; I hope you will, too.

Winston Ma

Spring, 2009"

Besides a tape (which had the channels reversed from the CD) I do have the FIM version which Winston Ma did.  Winston hired the best mastering engineers and with his keen ears and mind would spend lots of time (and money) to get the best out of each master tape.  (BTW, the FIM version has Astrud's voice on the right).  I had the pleasure of working with Winston when he commissioned me to write a book about Decca Records (classical) for FIM in 2013.  Four CD's of some of the greatest Decca recordings were included with the book and we had two great multi Grammy award winning engineers (Michael Bishop and Robert Friedrich) doing the mastering under the watchful eyes (and ears) of Winston.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

The vast majority of the releases of this album, both on vinyl and CD, have the channels reversed, with Astrud Gilberto's voice on the right. In the original recording, her voice was on the left.

That is interesting. I will have to listen. I have a numbered 180 gram re-release of this LP as well as other versions. It will be interesting to go through and listen.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, Allan F said:

I just listened to all 4 of Astrud Gilberto's versions of Ipanema in my collection and loved every note.  Her voice is on the right on "Astrud Gilberto's Finest Hour" (played in Db) and on the original Verve Getz/Gilberto album (Db), She's centered on Getz/Gilberto 2 Live at Carnegie Hall (D major, not Db!), and she's halfway between full left and center on a limited release 7" Canadian 45 RPM from 1963 (Db).  I think I have at least one more version on vinyl and will look for it later.