IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

This week I have my MU1 feeding an Ideon Absolute Epsilon DAC. Thankfully the MU1 has two AES outputs. Using the same interconnects and AES cable on both the Ideon and my Ethos, switching between the two (preamp lnput level adjusted to match the DACs) is kind of fun. It’s a borrowed Ideon, and thankfully switching between the two I currently don’t have a preference. If I had to say which one is better I would answer the one I’m listening to, no matter which. I like DACs a lot. If I was to get on the Ideon path, they have a clock and streamer that steps things up quite a bit. But that would mean no MU1. Nope, deal killer right there.

17 hours ago, aangen said:

This week I have my MU1 feeding an Ideon Absolute Epsilon DAC. Thankfully the MU1 has two AES outputs. Using the same interconnects and AES cable on both the Ideon and my Ethos, switching between the two (preamp lnput level adjusted to match the DACs) is kind of fun. It’s a borrowed Ideon, and thankfully switching between the two I currently don’t have a preference. If I had to say which one is better I would answer the one I’m listening to, no matter which. I like DACs a lot. If I was to get on the Ideon path, they have a clock and streamer that steps things up quite a bit. But that would mean no MU1. Nope, deal killer right there.

Greetings... perhaps you allready know this, but just for the record, the Grimm has an absolute world-class internal clock. Such is the world of Grimm. Per the AES-EBU spec, that ultra-high quality clock is at the heart of the MU-1's ABS-EBU output(s). Which is also why the AES-EBU cable is of extra importance in a system using the MU-1. 

2 minutes ago, FredM said:

And finally we will introduce a multichannel AD converter with fpga downsampling and ‘Audio over IP’ interface - we won’t forget our pro audio heritage

I love this. I hope Grimm looks at audio over IP for consumer applications as well. I use Ravenna for my 7.1.4 system. It can handle 12 channels of 24/384 without a problem. Rock solid, unlike the most non-standard standard that is UPnP :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, FredM said:

Nice to share, Audio Key Review posted an interesting interview with Eelco Grimm

You can find the full interview here: https://www.audiokeyreviews.com/interviews-1/eelco-grimm

Thanks, Fred!  Great read about a seeker, music and art lover.   And now I understand why the MU1 includes a path to including FM radio.  

Other highlights:

"Most dear to me are my visits to my friend Peter van Willenswaard in Rotterdam. He had a crazy good audio system based on vintage 1946 Vortexion (military) amplifiers and Quad ESL57’s, with subwoofers and a tube phono pre of his own design. We played Gilbert & Sullivan and other jaw dropping 50’s Decca records. And French chansons of Jacques Brel, Leo Ferrer, Barbara. I have never experienced any audio playback that was so deeply emotionally touching as that. It still is my reference for what we strive for at Grimm Audio."

"We believe in stepping out of the way of the signal where possible and treat the remaining path with extreme precision. So we don't apply any more processing than strictly necessary (both in the analog and digital domain). Note that sometimes this can lead to very complicated circuitry or software, but the goal is always to minimize the impact of the equipment on the signal path. We measure this impact with high performance measurement equipment (sometimes home grown, like our jitter analyser). And we listen. Our goal is that the chain becomes transparent both in a technical sense and for the musical emotion. The people in our team have huge experience with what matters in audio and how to achieve transparency in electronic and software design."

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

35分钟前,PYP说:

谢谢,弗雷德!很棒的阅读,关于探索者、音乐和艺术爱好者。现在我明白了为什么MU1包括包括调频收音机的路径。

其他亮点:

我最亲爱的是我在鹿特丹拜访我的朋友Peter van Willenswaard。他有一个基于1946年老式Vortexion(军用)放大器和Quad ESL57的疯狂良好的音频系统,配有低音炮和自己设计的管声机。我们演奏了吉尔伯特和沙利文和其他令人瞠目结舌的50年代迪卡唱片。还有Jacques Brel、Leo Ferrer、Barbara的法国颂歌。我从未经历过如此感人的音频播放。这仍然是我在Grimm Audio努力追求的参考。”

“我们相信尽可能走开信号,并极其精确地处理剩余的路径。因此,我们不会应用任何超出绝对必要的处理(在模拟和数字领域)。请注意,有时这可能会导致非常复杂的电路或软件,但目标始终是最大限度地减少设备对信号路径的影响。我们使用高性能测量设备(有时是自产的,如我们的抖动分析仪)来测量这种影响。我们倾听。我们的目标是,链条在技术意义上和音乐情感上都变得透明。我们团队的员工在音频方面的重要内容以及如何实现电子和软件设计的透明度方面拥有丰富的经验。”

Hi PYP,I saw your forum signature using MU1 with MOLA MOLA Tambaqui DAC and Kaluga power amplifier, I am very interested in Tambaqui, I am curious to know which device you use to control the volume, thanks

21 minutes ago, Nicholas Dong said:

Hi PYP,I saw your forum signature using MU1 with MOLA MOLA Tambaqui DAC and Kaluga power amplifier, I am very interested in Tambaqui, I am curious to know which device you use to control the volume, thanks

I use the Tambaqui to control volume.  Mola Mola suggests that:  "This DAC, combined with a pair of Mola Mola Kaluga monoblocks constitutes the finest digital replay chain available, irrespective of price."    

I wouldn't make the same claim, but clearly the Tambaqui was designed using the Kaluga as the amplification therefore the usual concerns about impedance matching, etc. are avoided.  My wife uses the remote and I typically use the iPhone app to control volume.  It is a wonderful DAC and matches beautifully with the MU1.

I must admit that I haven't tried the MU1 as the volume control... 

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

6分钟前,PYP说:

我使用Tambaqui来控制音量。Mola Mola建议:“无论价格如何,这款DAC与一对Mola Mola Kaluga单块相结合,构成了最好的数字重播链。”

我不会提出同样的主张,但显然Tambaqui是使用Kaluga作为放大器设计的,因此避免了通常对阻抗匹配等的担忧。

我必须承认,我还没有尝试过MU1作为音量控制......

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you only use Tambaqui as a DAC with active speakers, does MOLA suggest using Tambaqui as a volume control? In addition, I see that MOLA also has a Kaluga analog preamplifier with a built-in DAC. I think it has a built-in Dac.  Shouldn't be better than Tambaqui

1 hour ago, Nicholas Dong said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you only use Tambaqui as a DAC with active speakers, does MOLA suggest using Tambaqui as a volume control? In addition, I see that MOLA also has a Kaluga analog preamplifier with a built-in DAC. I think it has a built-in Dac.  Shouldn't be better than Tambaqui

you are welcome.  Interesting question about using the Tambaqui with active speakers.  I haven't seen any guidance about that.

Mola Mola says the Tambaqui has "a lossless digital volume control."  My understanding is that it is a digital attenuator (the volume increases as the number shown on the display gets smaller).  

For the Makua preamp, "the relay-based volume control directly controls the gain of the output stage."  The US distributor for Mola Mola has said that the DAC board that can be added to the Makua is the exact same as the Tambaqui DAC (a phono stage is also available, so a very versatile unit).  

For someone who likes to keep it simple, Mola Mola also has the Kula integrated, which also fits amplification into the same chassis as the Makua.  Had this been available when I was looking into Mola Mola, this would have been my choice.  But I have a strong preference for simplification...

For what it’s worth, after deep study I could not decide on a preference for either of the Gryphon or Ideon DACs. So I pulled the Ideon out as the Ethos is paid for.

A huge advantage.

Wednesday, a Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP is supposed to arrive. I’m guessing that may be unusual. Fun though. The middle model I’m getting has a DAC inside and can be all that the MU2 will be. But I am certain the MU1 stays in the system.

This part of the announcement was interesting because they are working toward the expected option for other streaming software:

"Last but not least, this update brings many improvements to prepare for the next big update that will make the MU1 an official Roon End Point and adds more streaming options."

Looking forward to the mid-2023 update!  While I enjoy Roon, it is always good to try other options.  

On initial listening, sonically i feel the latest update delivers more density especially to the mid range. 

Those who finds 4x fs is artificial previously should find this update promising 

Pre-power-speakers:TAD C-600, TAD M700S, TAD CR1TX

Digital: TAD D-700, Grimm MU1/ Analog: CH Precision P1, Thales Slim II + easy tonearm + Ikeda Akiko

Isolation: SRA rack, G clef Wellfloat / Cabling: AET, SAEC Stratosphere, Jorma AES/LAN, Mad Scientist Audio, Tiglon

26 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

Firmware loaded without a hitch . Found 2x a bit more relaxed ( not that 4x was shrill by any means) Something new: Acoustic instruments are more precise , especially fast passages ( i.e McLaughlin, Metheny & DiMeola) 

interesting.  will have to try the 2x.  haven't tried that experiment in a long time and some of my setup has changed.  the GUI makes these kind of experiments so easy.  

did the update. i have been auditioning a new power conditoner, so my system is in flux (better), so I can't really be sure the new firmware made any difference. it sure sounds ridiculously good. 

Kii Three/BXT < Transparent XL AES < Grimm MU1

Equitech 1.5Q

Signal and Evidence AC cables

23 hours ago, kimurastanley said:

On initial listening, sonically i feel the latest update delivers more density especially to the mid range. 

Agree, I’m listening at guitar and male voices at the moment, nice improvements, also more ‘texture’ it seems (strings, decay, voice,..) 😀

Also useful options in the web interface, each input can be en/disabled and renamed.

In addition for each input the volume can be pre set, I love this: For Movies the MU1 is connected with an AV receiver (pre out) via the Toslink input on the MU1. When switching between stereo and AV I manually had to adjust the volume. With a separate default volume setting per input, this seems to be no longer necessary 👍

CE5D02A5-30C8-4D80-9A79-8B572FCBA89D.jpeg

Another improvement I find is the bass goes lower after the update 

Pre-power-speakers:TAD C-600, TAD M700S, TAD CR1TX

Digital: TAD D-700, Grimm MU1/ Analog: CH Precision P1, Thales Slim II + easy tonearm + Ikeda Akiko

Isolation: SRA rack, G clef Wellfloat / Cabling: AET, SAEC Stratosphere, Jorma AES/LAN, Mad Scientist Audio, Tiglon