IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

Not if you feed it 44.1 data and run it as NOS though...  there will be obvious issues in its output in that case

With the measurements JA performs with the big AP analyzers, he only measures up to 100Khz, but his final words are as below. He measures as NOS with 44.1 and 48 K data.  That said I strongly stand by my love for 1024.

"In almost every way, the HoloAudio May (Level 3) is the best-measuring D/A processor I have encountered, rivaled only by the Weiss DAC502 and MBL N31.—John Atkinson"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurement

22 minutes ago, Quadman said:

With the measurements JA performs with the big AP analyzers, he only measures up to 100Khz, but his final words are as below. He measures as NOS with 44.1 and 48 K data.  That said I strongly stand by my love for 1024.

"In almost every way, the HoloAudio May (Level 3) is the best-measuring D/A processor I have encountered, rivaled only by the Weiss DAC502 and MBL N31.—John Atkinson"

https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurement

I have read the review.  See figure 3 (or 16) in NOS mode, not good, of course.  These are reasons oversampling is important.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@miska

I clearly see the improvement in the progression you have shown, but still am having a hard time understanding the significance in varying high-frequency response over say, 50 kHz as related to audible results. Could you plot the three charts form 0 to 50 or 100 kHz? Or is the comparison not relevant over that range?

Steve

49 minutes ago, sledwards said:

@miska

I clearly see the improvement in the progression you have shown, but still am having a hard time understanding the significance in varying high-frequency response over say, 50 kHz as related to audible results. Could you plot the three charts form 0 to 50 or 100 kHz? Or is the comparison not relevant over that range?

Steve

I’d also be very interested if possible to see 1.4 MHz compared to DSD256 given the change from 44.1 to 700 kHz.  

2 hours ago, sledwards said:

Yes, considering that no power amp or speakers are putting out much of ANYTHING above 50KHz (leaving aside some Spectral zero-to-light amps that need filtering interconnects just to stay stable :S), I have never understood @Miska's publishing of graphs that go to 5 Megahertz.

I'm supportive of upsampling and DSD (NOS fold-down aliasing can be nasty), but it would be more helpful to the cause to see an expanded relevant bandwidth...

Here is the human-relevant portion of each of his graphs. x-D

image.png.5916501755482c7fb3dfc54d3d94e720.pngimage.png.4008878e1a0b820d215494947f807d4d.pngimage.png.250a562dc29dc58ca2705b994f12d48b.png

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, considering that no power amp or speakers are putting out much of ANYTHING above 50KHz (leaving aside some Spectral zero-to-light amps that need filtering interconnects just to stay stable :S), I have never understood @Miska's publishing of graphs that go to 5 Megahertz.

I'm supportive of upsampling and DSD (NOS fold-down aliasing can be nasty), but it would be more helpful to the cause to see an expanded relevant bandwidth...

Here is the human-relevant portion of each of his graphs. x-D

image.png.5916501755482c7fb3dfc54d3d94e720.pngimage.png.4008878e1a0b820d215494947f807d4d.pngimage.png.250a562dc29dc58ca2705b994f12d48b.png

Alex, many amplifiers and preamplifiers do not respond well to having these high frequency components at their inputs.  This can produce IM products at their outputs within the audible bandwidth.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

Pretty much all power amps should be flat to 100 kHz, or they have a really horrible phase response. In addition, the power amps I've seen have typically 1st order low-pass on the input, meaning 6 dB/octave which in turn means that it has practically no effect with such inputs.

Few other points to consider is that putting that much of distortion energy to the amplifier will have impact also on the amplifier's feedback loop, and intermodulation between those series of fully correlated images appear back in the audio band as signal dependent distortion. In addition, if you are using class-D amplifier, those are susceptible to aliasing just like ADC when the input frequency gets closer to half of their switching frequency.

Note that in case you get intermodulation with any if DSD's random left-over noise, the intermodulation products are also random that result in just hiss, like background tape noise or FM radio between the stations.

All terrific points!  And illuminating graphs.

Still, an expanded 250KHz or 500KHz bandwidth would be far more relatable that your 5 MegaHertz wide charts. Just sayin'.  9_9

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Still, an expanded 250KHz or 500KHz bandwidth would be far more relatable that your 5 MegaHertz wide charts. Just sayin'.  9_9

I sometimes store also 500 kHz plot, if there's something interesting there. But usually just the 5 MHz bandwidth one to see extent of the images. Usually 5 MHz is enough to see the point where the output drowns in the noise floor due to the DAC's analog output filter. 500 kHz is not enough to see first image of 705.6k or 768k converter rate. 5 MHz is enough to see if there's any image left when the converter is running at 1.4/1.5 MHz rate. Sometimes I also have 100 MHz or 200 MHz plots, but usually such are not needed for audio outputs (hopefully).

Primary reason for storing some of the results is not for posting online, but for my own development purposes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

i'm doing my best trying to adopt upsampling and preferably with the cleaner DSD 256, be a good boy, listening kosher, savvy,  Nevertheless, I'm very much in line with John Atkinson when he said he could swap NOS and OS depending on source : NOS vs DSD 256 upsampling is very much in the the same ball park as comparing ps mq3 MP vs xla in exemple : flavors, not extreme distorsion, rains of frogs or crickets invasions. Often, I find NOS more natural while upsampled version sound like brightened by a unifying varnish

if instead of picking a 19 K exemple you picked a say 12 (I'm most certainly quite deaf above) , would the sine wave be nice, NOS or OS ? does the couple speakers/amps matter ? that is if it cuts sharp above 20K are we not exposed to the problems you mention ? How about NOS for SR above 88.2 or even 192 ?

4 hours ago, Miska said:

At 44.1/48k rate you get treble roll-off starting from about 1 kHz and reaching maximum at 22.05/24 kHz (this is mathematical function of S/H). That's is one reason why upsampled sounds brighter. You could add similar roll-off with EQ to the upsampled data if you like. Plus there is some lack of detail due to missing reconstruction.

At 705.6/768k rate the output begins to get decent. Still just over 12-bit worth accurate.

Most of my comparisons are made with 96 sources. This being, the impression of natural vs varnished/smoothed over persist with 192 sources . It's not the bright size that troubles me it's a sort of standardisation of sound, of loss of texture with upsampling that puzzles me. I almost wrote a lack of accident. I don't buy the euphony theory that would apply to vinyl the way I do it or to NOS ; but maybe... accidents, imperfections bring me closer to live impressions. Once again, for those who don't dare trying, NOS or upsampled differ just like flavors it's often subtle and I certainly don't hear differnces such as illustarted by the 19 K sine

How awful ! I just found out I had the same crisis a few months ago and found out while searching Closed form.... thing is that I'm back to CF16M as preferred alternative to NOS. Difference with few months ago is that now I dig it with DSD256 7ECV2 rather than PCM LNS15.

It's not a Jussi's favorite nor recommended but seems to the be the sweet spot where by inability to prefer a better technical solution without going totally in the bushes lies

As of when the apodizing counter goes berserk, I think I will shamelessly use the mq3/mp filter even at N SR, rolling-off something bad can't be too bad, can it?

13 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

i'm doing my best trying to adopt upsampling and preferably with the cleaner DSD 256, be a good boy, listening kosher, savvy,  Nevertheless, I'm very much in line with John Atkinson when he said he could swap NOS and OS depending on source : NOS vs DSD 256 upsampling is very much in the the same ball park as comparing ps mq3 MP vs xla in exemple : flavors, not extreme distorsion, rains of frogs or crickets invasions. Often, I find NOS more natural while upsampled version sound like brightened by a unifying varnish

if instead of picking a 19 K exemple you picked a say 12 (I'm most certainly quite deaf above) , would the sine wave be nice, NOS or OS ? does the couple speakers/amps matter ? that is if it cuts sharp above 20K are we not exposed to the problems you mention ? How about NOS for SR above 88.2 or even 192 ?

What speakers are you using?

Maybe that’s the real cause of your brightness.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, Quadman said:

Me, I am firmly in the 1024DSD w AMSDMEC7  +512fs camp, last night mostly with Sinc S.  The Holo May is absolutely incredible at these rates. 

Listening to your combination now and it is definitely a step up from 512DSD with EC7v2. I like the sinc-S and the sinc-M sounds great too.