IGNORED

The problem with subjective impressions

Summit

2 hours ago, semente said:

I agree with most of what you've written.

I'd add that it is important to use recordings that are fit for purpose. A spot mic near a violin can make it sound "steely" falsifying the conclusion.

It is also very important to have references of both high performance reproduced sound and live unamplified music.

And to understand that different recording and production methods are responsible for the feeling of "being there" or of "having the musicians in the room", for a soundstage between the speakers or extending to the sides of the speakers, that mechanical and mouth noises result from close-mic'ing, etc.

When I started buying magazines in my late teens I expected to be trained in how to listen. It took me almost two decades to realise that reviews were little more than tasting sessions, hardly ever comparative, almost always glowing... And then the cable nonsense started.

Bin them all I say.

This brings to mind something else that could be tried.  Firstly yes, you need some handful of very well done recordings.  

Perhaps if one took these recordings, and altered the response of them.  Divide them into octaves, and bump up by 3db or down by 3db one octave.  Listen and decide whether up, down or no change was better.  Do this for all 10 octaves until you had a chart that made them sound the best on the device under test.  You probably would have to go through this a few times as when you altered one octave it may effect your judgement of another octave later.   Then you can do this for other DUT's, and see how they compare in some sense.  One could even do this through a second round for another 3 db up or down, but if you have to go that far then the device is pretty far from good.  Then when done one could give an estimate as to whether the changes got close to a neutral result or still was noticeably far from it.  One need not do this in a few minutes, one could make changes and live with them a while if you think that is the better way. 

Of course even this crude response would result in so many possible permutations it is easy to see why speakers even if having pretty similar response can all sound different. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

I could be wrong but I believe it was someone no less knowledgeable than John Swenson who said that, not only does he leave his DAC on all the time, but also running music through it continually achieves optimum performance.

Wonder if the type of music changes the sound quality?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Increasing octane does not increase gas mileage. Filling a car with higher octane gasoline than that for which the engine has been designed to run is simply a complete waste of money. So, offering an explanation while lacking the requisite knowledge and/or expertise is often unhelpful, and the reason why some people feel they have to prove or disprove things, as the case may be, for themselves. :)

I knew that.  It was the friend who put that forward as a reason initially.  I told him same as you wrote. 

2 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Would the effect or no effect of power cords have anything to do with unregulated power supplies in tube amps?  Seems like you could measure this one pretty easy.  

You do know the overwhelming majority of solid state amps have unregulated supplies don't you?

4 minutes ago, Kimo said:

But still much less voltage than a tube amp supply, so less demanding, no?

Actually the reverse is usually true.  High voltage lower current in tube amps.  Lower voltage higher current in solid state.  But both are similarly related to the power output vs power drawn from the wall plug.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Value is like beauty, in the eye or wallet of the beholder. 

Which is why good reviews tend to avoid that.  You would need to touch upon it at some point in regards to cost vs performance although one can do a good review leaving even that out.

1 minute ago, Solstice380 said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Nobody can determine the value for you, that's up to you.  And there really isn't any way to measure the magnitude of these differences.  So reviews of anything other than functionality and whether or not it hurt the reviewers ears are useless.

I don't agree at all past your second sentence.  Any reviews for which that is true are not worth the time it took to write them.

16 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Octopi might have a shot.

you are never going to get an advanced civilization going without the ability to manipulate objects - ask a dolphin if you don't believe me.

Maybe with a few more crisper experiments we could give dolphins arms.  Wonder if China would jail someone for doing that?

2 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

They need their fins to swim.

They could have both.  Fins and arms/hands. 

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

best thing is to just mind meld with a monkey and get it to act like your robot butler

- this has worked well for Golden Retrievers

And more so for cats. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

There are $500 DACs which measure extremely well- basically state of the art -  and $12000 DACs which measure slightly better, although marginally so.

Some people will conclude that this means there is no reason to buy any DAC other than the $500 dollar one. Ohters will want to get that last bit of extreme performance. 

I'd bet for both camps the amount of disposable income plays a large part in that decision. 

I'm not convinced all DACs that measure above a certain threshold sound the same, but clearly there is a curve of diminishing returns in audio - and  a steep one. But where along that curve of diminishing returns I want to get off the curve is a very different question. 

Pretty much at some threshold of fidelity all DACs that measure above the threshold will sound the same.  Where the threshold is might need work or not.  I think this is a problem for many audiophiles.  They just can't believe there becomes a point where everything sounds the same as everything else meeting some given performance spec.  But it will.......or it has.

There are many reasons to buy this DAC vs another beyond sound quality.  Just don't get confused about why you are choosing one.