IGNORED

SGM Taiko Extreme

16 hours ago, bmichels said:

Because I do not like the idea of upsampling and because I was afraid by the complexity of the optimisation needed by the myriad of HQ Player filters....

I can understand those worries. Some are more concerned with computer settings than listening to music. 😁

You have many to try with HQPlayer. I needed some time to find the right settings for me. But then it is very easy and great. The power of algorithms! This happens in HQPlayer. An audio PC without support HQPlayer would be a non buy for me.

I find it interesting that Taiko uses a Windows 10 variant as OS. Many swear by Windows Server solutions 2016/2019 or Linux. I tried some of it. Nothing reached the solution of my reduced Windows 10 Pro OS.

I admire the design of Taiko Extreme. 👍

I have an MCSE, which is now out dated as it focused on Windows 7. However when I look into the registry I see a lot of familiar Control Key's. 

I was expecting to go into the registry and apply some of the tweaks I have learned over the years. However I can see and Emile has already done this before installation instead of applying these tweaks after installation.

Emile has cleverly customised his installation of Windows 10 so that the settings and modules which would normally be there are simply not installed at all. This is a much better way of doing it and I have to applaud Emile he knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned all kinds of settings to him. Emile had either removed that component from installation or had applied the necessary tweaks beforehand.

I have no doubt that Emile has gone to exhausting lengths to make sure that his custom installation of Windows is the optimum sounding one. 

Emile continues to hunt for the ultimate Windows installation and will in time release service packs if he considers them to be of significant importance. 

So owners of the Extreme can rest easy knowing that Emile continues to work away constantly refining his version of Windows.

Having owned a couple of Music Servers that use a custom install of Linux I can attest to the fact that they all have a familiar lean mid range. Windows does not have that and properly configured outperforms any Linux or non Windows based Music Servers.

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

19 hours ago, bmichels said:

Today I have a Denafrips TERMINATOR, but the plan is to upgrade (soon ?) to the NAGRA Tube DAC.   

Which Nagra DAC the Classic Line DAC or the new HD DAC X?

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/hd-dac-x/

Frankly whichever Nagra DAC you choose you can't go wrong.

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

Isquirrel, as I mentioned, I plan to go for the Tube DAC with the Classic PSU, which is the "successor" of the "old" NAGRA HD DAC.  Same small housing. It is NOT the HD DAC-X.   

Only drawback of the Taiko Extreme paired with the NAGRA is that the Taiko will not use the new I2S proprietary Digital interface that is implemented in the Tube DAC and the HD DAX X (Only the Playback Design MPT-8 dream Server offer such interface since this interface was developped for NAGRA by...  Andreas Koch 🙂 ).  So... Taiko's USB will be the best choice I guess ? 

NAGRA Tube DAC Combo.png

playback design dream transport_MPT-8.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:37 PM, wwc said:

I expected the Mini as endpoint to degrade the sq, but with blind A/B listening, neither I nor my friend could hear a difference between the system with the Mini connected to Dac through Bacch software  and the Extreme connected to  Dac through JPlay.

May I ask why do you go for the additional Bacch software when there is no difference to the Extreme direct output?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, matthias said:

May I ask why do you go for the additional Bacch software when there is no difference to the Extreme direct output?

Matt

We haven't activated the actual purpose of the Bacch software yet which is for inter-aural cross talk cancellation. https://www.theoretica.us/bacch4mac 

But I've been using the Mini as endpoint for a few weeks now to make sure I don't hear a sq cost by not using the Extreme as endpoint.

10 hours ago, wwc said:

We haven't activated the actual purpose of the Bacch software yet which is for inter-aural cross talk cancellation. https://www.theoretica.us/bacch4mac 

But I've been using the Mini as endpoint for a few weeks now to make sure I don't hear a sq cost by not using the Extreme as endpoint.

Interesting,

the first time I come across someone using the Extreme with an endpoint.

Matt

22 minutes ago, matthias said:

Interesting,

the first time I come across someone using the Extreme with an endpoint.

Matt

Right, I'd rather not, but the Bacch software is Mac OS only.   If the 3d imaging from Bacch turned out not to be to my liking, I would go back to the Extreme as endpoint.

4 hours ago, wwc said:

Right, I'd rather not, but the Bacch software is Mac OS only.   If the 3d imaging from Bacch turned out not to be to my liking, I would go back to the Extreme as endpoint.

The software is rather expensive.......

Can you give it back if not to your liking?

Matt

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, EuroDriver said:

Hi Nenon,

Think of each clock like a radio transmitter with a carrier wave at the clock frequency.  Vibration causes frequency modulation, power supply fluctuations result in amplitude modulation.  RF emissions in the MHz to GHz range are very hard to stop, they get everywhere

Only possible to stop MHz-GHz is with a RF isolation chamber. And i don't quite understand the mechanism ...but DACs become much more transparent when they measure zero ambient RF noise.

• 5 months later...

If there is anyone here with a Taiko Extreme server and dCS gear (Vivaldi or Rossini) please pm me. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...