IGNORED

MacOS Catalina now available

Looks like just a change of name for me 😀

not using it on mac for music, but store mp3 on another mac for iPhone music.

biggest change for me is they remove iPhone from it, now editing is in the finder.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Fear and Loathing in Catalina

- I ain't "upgrading" until everybody else does and I am forced to.

Yeah--I get so many notices that "this software will not work on the next OS'' that I may just stay where I am for a while; or at least until the normal app upgrades do away with those messages.

16 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Yeah--I get so many notices that "this software will not work on the next OS'' that I may just stay where I am for a while; or at least until the normal app upgrades do away with those messages.

Although there are many possible issues with pre-Catalina apps on Catalina, the main change here is that 32 bit apps will not run on it. On recent versions of MacOS, you can list all your apps by clicking the Apple, then about this Mac - system report - apps. There’s a “64 bit” column in the list that will say yes or no for each installed app. A yes is not a guarantee that it’ll run on Catalina, but a no is a guarantee that it won’t.

I suspect that most 32 bit apps will not update to 64 bit versions, but I hope I’m wrong for all you Mac people.

Yep, my bread and butter is my scanner software, and Hasselblad have no plans to update to 64 bit, so my desktop is stuck for the time being at Mojave unless I want to get a standalone for it. So far, looking at the reviews I don't seem to be missing much, and the usual advice of waiting to backup unless it's critical seems to be the word going around. I'll wait a bit on my 2018 MacBook Air. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Sorry for the cross-post, but if the shoe fits...

FYI, Catalina breaks Roon's local file access if you have your music files on an external disk. My iMacPro has a thunderbolt-connected Akitio 4 disk array as JBOD and Roon cannot access the music folder on one of the disks. I get an "Error loading folder Unauthorized" message when I try to designate the Music folder. Roon is aware of the issue and is working on it and advises not to update to Catalina. Streaming still works fine in Roon with both Tidal and Qobuz.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-core-macos-catalina/79920

6 hours ago, bluesman said:

Although there are many possible issues with pre-Catalina apps on Catalina, the main change here is that 32 bit apps will not run on it. On recent versions of MacOS, you can list all your apps by clicking the Apple, then about this Mac - system report - apps. There’s a “64 bit” column in the list that will say yes or no for each installed app. A yes is not a guarantee that it’ll run on Catalina, but a no is a guarantee that it won’t.

I suspect that most 32 bit apps will not update to 64 bit versions, but I hope I’m wrong for all you Mac people.

Thanks a bunch! My Music Collector program says NO under 64 bit and I don't pay to subscribe to the upgrades so I guess I 'll stick with Mojave OS. It also says NO under XLD but that is a free application so it likely will be upgraded to 64 bit. 

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Is it just me or does A+ sound better under Catalina? I seem to hear more high frequency transparency and spatial resolution. 

I have no way of A/B testing and my ears are not in the best shape due to a minor cold, but the first impression is quite positive in any case.  

Now I just hope Datacolor will update the software for the Spyder 5 Elite to 64bit, but that’s a different hobby...

Audio plugins (AU and VST) must be updated for compatibility with Catalina.  Here's the notice I received from Rogue Amoeba.  (I think it mentions AU but not VST only because Rogue Amoeba products don’t support VST plugins, not because VST plugins are less subject to this new requirement.)

"Audio Unit plugins on Catalina are required to be both “code signed” and “notarized”. Plug-in developers will be the ones to worry about that. However, end users should be aware that very few third-party Audio Units currently meet these requirements."

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7