IGNORED

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That would be a mistake, the ranking chart is probably more for entertainment than for actual purchasing advice.

Unfortunately it seems to be used for such though...

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

But for those who know a little about measurements and how to interpret them, the site offers a lot of information often not available elsewhere.

For me, I don't find much useful information there. But if it is useful for someone, then the site certainly serves it's purpose.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

59 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But if we’re talking about this SINAD ranking, I do see an informal trend that the highest SINAD DACs also tend to do well in other measurements too...

It seems (just looking casually) that it takes good overall engineering competency to get a SINAD above 110dB...

SINAD (aka THD+N)... Within constraints of those tests... Those measurements don't tell for example how good performance the DAC is capable of when driven in a different way. But even looking at those measurements at ASR, the DAC in question wasn't so special.

For example I personally rather take modern AKM DAC chip than ESS Sabre, no matter how good 1 kHz THD+N figure someone squeezes out of ESS.

10 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

AKM is better in this regard?

Not with digital filters, it is the same. Both of course can be used with external one. But AKM has no ASRC/DPLL related problems. I prefer DACs that can be used as D/A converters, without built-in DSP. Otherwise their performance is capped by the DSP...

I'm very happy with my discrete DACs now though, both T+A and Holo Audio. I will also try Denafrips when I get around ordering one.

5 hours ago, opus101 said:

Even the very latest AKM DAC (AK4499) has only -100dB stop-band rejection. Also note it uses an equi-ripple filter. These are known to exhibit pre-echoes - see a paper on this by Julian Dunn.

Just like ESS... But equiripple doesn't have anything to do with that. You can also have minimum-phase equiripple filter that of course doesn't have pre-echo. Or any intermediate-phase one for that matter...

AKM also has minimum-phase (short delay) filters available on the chip, plus "low-dispersion short-delay" filter.

But I personally stay away from any DAC chip digital filters.

• 3 months later...

Hmmh, what is SBAF?

I do a lot of measurements and I consider myself pretty objectively driven. But still it takes me just couple of hours of ASR to get fed up. Where 131 dB SINAD is very superior to 128 dB SINAD. But -40 dB dB ultrasonic images are of no issue compared to -140 dB ultrasonic images. Nobody needs to prove why SINAD difference at that level makes great difference, although without breathing between it is stated that nobody can hear difference beyond 60 dB SINAD. But no proof is enough to show that correlated ultrasonic images matter. Especially little thought is given to correlated vs non-correlated errors. Oh well....

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Miska - I hope you really do some TIM measurements.  Not sure if you'll find anything with DACs, but...

I've done some so far... The four high level tones are the test signal, everything else is distortion.

In this respect, PCM vs DSD doesn't make much difference, since the behavior is mostly driven by analog stages.

PreBoxS2D_tim_dsd512.thumb.png.ea811ab7f972e74818230e9c978b05ee.png

iDSDmicro_dsd256_tim.thumb.png.2d4b2c111746ab29855f20364604280c.png

iDSDnano_dsd256_tim.thumb.png.33463dee5fa2e27859c1d2dab2275ec0.png

NUAudio_dsd256_tim.thumb.png.65b6fc0cf60dc9d67d030641cf1c47a5.png