IGNORED

Ayre QB-9 Twenty upgrade

• 2 weeks later...

At 640-ish hours mark here (I left it on all the time since I got it... except for short power off to change fuse)... Now I think it's better with details / textures and speed as expected... but to be frank, I can't tell to which extent it is better comparing with the DSD version, as I have replaced LCD-X with Utopia and Empyrean. Anyway... with the Utopia, the harshness seems to reduce now comparing with the first day I got it back from upgrade (but not completely flawless given the nature of the headphones that has 6Khz peak).

Well... back to the topic, I plan to run it for 4-5 more days and will stop this marathon break-in.

My name is Gordon and evidently I'm a Ayre QB-9 addict.  I've owned the original, the DSD version and now the Twenty.

The Twenty is simply stunning.  As others have commented, it maintains Ayre's signature "natural and right" sound signature while further opening up the soundstage and revealing even more detail, texture and overall musical depth.

On a less fun note, I'm having a few technical challenges with the QB9 Twenty and Audirvana 3.5 on my MacBook Pro.

First and foremost, I can't get the QB9 Twenty to recognize DSD.  The DAC was updated in August of 2020, so I think it has the latest firmware.

If anyone has a QB9 Twenty playing DSD from Audirvana 3.5, please let me know the Audio Settings you're using.

Thanks for the help!  I love the Twenty.  It's incredible.

33 minutes ago, EicoMan said:

My name is Gordon and evidently I'm a Ayre QB-9 addict.  I've owned the original, the DSD version and now the Twenty.

The Twenty is simply stunning.  As others have commented, it maintains Ayre's signature "natural and right" sound signature while further opening up the soundstage and revealing even more detail, texture and overall musical depth.

On a less fun note, I'm having a few technical challenges with the QB9 Twenty and Audirvana 3.5 on my MacBook Pro.

First and foremost, I can't get the QB9 Twenty to recognize DSD.  The DAC was updated in August of 2020, so I think it has the latest firmware.

If anyone has a QB9 Twenty playing DSD from Audirvana 3.5, please let me know the Audio Settings you're using.

Thanks for the help!  I love the Twenty.  It's incredible.

Make sure you are sending DSD as DoP, otherwise it will not work with a direct USB connection from a Mac.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, barrows said:

Make sure you are sending DSD as DoP, otherwise it will not work with a direct USB connection from a Mac.

Like he said... this setting should allow Dac to recognize and playback DSD without problem... but maximum bitrate is DSD 128 due to limitation of DoP requiring doubling PCM bit rate to deliver DSD. If you play anything higher than DSD128, DAC will go into PCM352 mode then I dont know how it affects SQ as I have no way to test it against native DSD.

A19DB7D0-A578-4C0C-84D1-C5BC7068D1AF.thumb.png.17791d61f1fb1b99a752b24ca3b5802f.png

Thank you barrows and PrTv!

Unfortunately, I made the suggested change under Active Device to “DSD over PCM 1.1” and it still doesn’t work.  I do not want to turn this thread into my personal help desk, so let me ask a broader question.

What Audirvana settings have you found to be the best with the QB9 Twenty; upsampling or not, etc.?

Or, is there another program that folks prefer with the QB9 Twenty?  I am looking to replace Decibel and don’t think I need the capabilities of Roon.

After a round of listening tests this weekend, I have settled on no oversampling from Audirvana with the QB-9 Twenty.  I may revisit that decision, but the performance is so good it's essentially a moot point.

The sound stage has continued to open and deepen with more detail and texture as the hours pass.  Once I have enough volume (about speaking volume in my room), the speakers simply disappear into whatever world the musician(s) and studio engineers created.

I am hoping there are continued firmware updates for DSD and the other quibbles others have mentioned already.  That said, I can heartily recommend the upgrade.

I've just replaced my MBP mid-2012 that I used as a transport for a long time, by a dedicated transport, and for the first time, I can feed DSD 256 (natively) to QB9 Twenty. Improvement over the MBP is not minor at all. This should last me while... until the next big upgrade (not in foreseeable future given this economy).

T.jpg

23 hours ago, AVSGSLIU said:

Hi Ryan, do you mind running through the controls and settings for the QB9 twenty regarding sample rates, filters, and DSD native/direct mode?? Or point me to where this info is available.

thanks, George 

Happy to.  If you want to send me an email (use the contact button on our website), I can do a write up for you.  It's pretty dependent on the OS/software you're using for playback, so if you could include that for me, that will help.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 5 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:27 AM, Ryan Berry said:

Happy to.  If you want to send me an email (use the contact button on our website), I can do a write up for you.  It's pretty dependent on the OS/software you're using for playback, so if you could include that for me, that will help.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan, 

I have used and loved my QB9DSD for 6 years and it is wonderful. Since 2 years ago, I have paired it with Aurender N100C and it is great match. 

As I am preparing for the Twenty version upgrade and see some posts here about that after upgrade to Twenty, QB9 USB port need be with power, i am wondering if my Aurender N100C will have this challenge with QB9 Twenty?

Cheers,

Hi I have the RCA to my Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp, but the XLR is still free. I was thinking of this converter: Jensen Transformers PC-2XR XLR/RCA Audio Converter Balanced to Unbalanced. Are there technical reasons why that would not work? Ideal would be to have 2 RCA outputs, one for my head amp and one for my  preamp ->loudspeakers. Also: Can I use 2 outputs RCA and XLR at the same time? Thanks Yoram

On 1/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, PrTv said:

I've just replaced my MBP mid-2012 that I used as a transport for a long time, by a dedicated transport, and for the first time, I can feed DSD 256 (natively) to QB9 Twenty. Improvement over the MBP is not minor at all. This should last me while... until the next big upgrade (not in foreseeable future given this economy).

T.jpg

Hello, just want to check if upgraded QB9 Twenty works well with Aurender player? Does it have the QB9 USB port need power challenge? thanks. 

1 hour ago, Yoram Diamand said:

Hi I have the RCA to my Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp, but the XLR is still free. I was thinking of this converter: Jensen Transformers PC-2XR XLR/RCA Audio Converter Balanced to Unbalanced. Are there technical reasons why that would not work? Ideal would be to have 2 RCA outputs, one for my head amp and one for my  preamp ->loudspeakers. Also: Can I use 2 outputs RCA and XLR at the same time? Thanks Yoram

I used RCA+XLR simultaneously at one point, and this config worked fine. I didn't detect any sonic degradation.

But since you've brought this up, I also want to check with Ryan.

Ryan, by design/technically, would there be any sonic degradation if two outputs are used at the same time? i.e. do the XLR/RCA output share the same signal path, if so, connecting the DAC via 2 outputs at the same time should theoretically degrade the signal coming out of both outputs, as oppose to only one (RCA or XLR) connection?

11 hours ago, PrTv said:

Don't worry, based on my post you have quoted, I upgraded to QB9 Twenty and it worked with my N100H without any problem. Everything is perfect. Sleep function also worked fine (DAC went to sleep once no track played, and woke up once I played the track). N100H is basically similar to N100C so I don't think you'll run into any problem.

This may be your best upgrade/purchase ever! Then please don't hesitate!

Super thanks!!

I have seen your feedback about twenty version versus DSD version. So there is no large difference for this upgrade if I am owner of DSD version? 

cheers.

14 hours ago, ufoerp said:

Super thanks!!

I have seen your feedback about twenty version versus DSD version. So there is no large difference for this upgrade if I am owner of DSD version? 

cheers.

Well, I wouldn't say that the change is minor. I can say with confidence that the new board sounds better, but can't quite quantify the extent, as it took quite a long time to burn in, and by the time the "Twenty" is fully broken in (past 350-ish hours mark), I forgot how the DSD version sounded.

However, this review should give you a very good indication of the improvement, as side-by-side comparison was thoroughly made here:

On 7/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, PrTv said:

Well, I wouldn't say that the change is minor. I can say with confidence that the new board sounds better, but can't quite quantify the extent, as it took quite a long time to burn in, and by the time the "Twenty" is fully broken in (past 350-ish hours mark), I forgot how the DSD version sounded.

However, this review should give you a very good indication of the improvement, as side-by-side comparison was thoroughly made here:

Thanks for important feedback!

Now I am wondering if I will do the 20' upgrade on my QB9DSD or just make a big jump to QX5. I just heard that QX5 twenty version with USB2 board with some new features. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 3:47 AM, ufoerp said:

Thanks for important feedback!

Now I am wondering if I will do the 20' upgrade on my QB9DSD or just make a big jump to QX5. I just heard that QX5 twenty version with USB2 board with some new features. 

To my ears, the DSD version was a nice upgrade compared to the original QB-9. But the Twenty version is an even bigger upgrade compared to the DSD version. Truly musical. As I approach retirement, pretty sure this is my last DAC. 

I’ve not directly compared the QB-9 Twenty to the QX-5. Probably the QX-5 is sonically superior but, unless you have deep pockets, cost might be an important factor.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...