IGNORED

Ayre QB-9 Twenty upgrade

Not unanticipated.  Roll outs have bugs.The Aurender display indicates titles being played as pcm. I have no problem participating in possible solutions. Posting here because I know Ryan is active in this thread. I will also send service request to Aurender.  Will keep the community updated.

1 hour ago, bsinc said:

Hello All, now that Aurender is offering native DSD on the N100 I am looking forward to experiencing more of the capabilities of the Qb-9 Twenty. To that end the newest software is installed on the Aurender. The following appears:

CF7D51EB-A86D-4D25-A3C7-4BBED5407B87.png

5DE0C750-37EB-4F76-840C-2B4D45D77695.png

@AriMargolis should connect with @Ryan Berry on this one. I know another manufacturer had to make an adjustment for native DSD to work with the Twenty. Nobody’s fault, just a little tweak. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi, I use a QB-9 24/96 with Qobuz Studio, and I am saving my pennies for the DSD Twenty upgrade. Some of you talk about the Regen USB tool, I myself have the  iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0 Power Supply & Data Optimizer, which you cannot buy anymore. Is it a good idea to use it with the upgrade, or better to trust the clocking etc. of the DSD Twenty technology? Of course I can have a listen when the gear is there, but what would be the theory? I am happy with Ayre making my purchase of the QB-9 24/96 more relevant to modern times. The 24/96 I presume is now rather archaic.   

With the QB-9 being asynchronous, you're likely getting little benefit from external reclocking solutions.  However, I think people are seeing an improvement with devices like these as they add an extra level of isolation on the incoming power.  Your QB-9 uses the PC's power and ground to power the USB PHY chip prior to isolation from the rest of the digital circuit.  We then send it over to the DAC after separating the ground and adding our own power supply for the rest of the digital circuit.  Having a separate power supply from the PC going into that PHY chip would very likely have varying levels of improvement depending on the PC.  Of course, as you said, the best way to tell what you prefer is to try it out and let me know what you think.  I may want to pick up one for myself!

As far as improvement, I think you'll be pretty blown away going from a 24/96 QB-9 to the Twenty.  Each upgrade we've done on this particular unit has been pretty spectacular in how much it improved from the previous version, so jumping straight to the Twenty is going to sound a lot different for you, I'd wager.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

Thank you, I am betting with my 1790 euro you are right, and the DSD twenty upgrade will be a delight for my ears, coming from the 24/96. It was the inner fidelity You Tube video on Stax SR-009 amplification, that provoked the purchase, of my Ayre QB-9 Dac. My income is too modest for the SR-009, I use the L700 Mk1. It is good enough to hear a lot. Kind regards Yoram  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGtjJYVew4&t=437s

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all QB9 Twenty owners,

I am using QB9 DSD, I found the DAC tends to have more “digital” alike sound compared to DAC like MSB Discrete DAC. So for the Twenty upgrade, is it a big difference? For eg, less “digital” sound, higher density/definition? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Mydragoon said:

Hi to all QB9 Twenty owners,

I am using QB9 DSD, I found the DAC tends to have more “digital” alike sound compared to DAC like MSB Discrete DAC. So for the Twenty upgrade, is it a big difference? For eg, less “digital” sound, higher density/definition? Thanks.

Here's my detailed review and comparison.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get the QB9 Twenty working with Roon via the Pro-Ject S2 Ultra Sreambox, I just wanted to double-check that DSD64 will display as '64' on the LED display- I keep seeing 352 which (I'm assuming) implies some kind of DoP conversion. It wasn't explicitly listed in the manual so I figured I'd ask here.

8 hours ago, Andrew Bui said:

I've been trying to get the QB9 Twenty working with Roon via the Pro-Ject S2 Ultra Sreambox, I just wanted to double-check that DSD64 will display as '64' on the LED display- I keep seeing 352 which (I'm assuming) implies some kind of DoP conversion. It wasn't explicitly listed in the manual so I figured I'd ask here.

Yes, regardless of whether you’re set up for DoP or Native DSD, the display on the QB-9 Twenty should show ‘64’ in the situation you describe. Not ‘352’.

Double check your Device Settings in Roon (and also the DSP settings) to make sure everything is in order. The number you are seeing seems to indicate that your DSD files are being converted to PCM 352 for playback. 

I have no experience or familiarity with the Pro-ject Streambox, so can’t speculate whether the problem could lie in that part of the chain. 

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

15 minutes ago, Andrew Bui said:

Thanks for the info, I was able to get it working by changing the S2's output to DSD over PCM - don't know what the maximum supported rate is but roon allows me to select up to DSD128

Excellent! If I’m not mistaken, DSD128 is the max in Roon when using DoP. Will go higher if your streamer/DAC supports Native DSD. I’m getting DSD256 in Native mode with my QB-9 Twenty and sonicTransporter i5 (running latest software update). 

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

4 hours ago, spin33 said:

Excellent! If I’m not mistaken, DSD128 is the max in Roon when using DoP. Will go higher if your streamer/DAC supports Native DSD. I’m getting DSD256 in Native mode with my QB-9 Twenty and sonicTransporter i5 (running latest software update). 

No, it’s limited by what the PCM rate of the DAC is capable of carrying.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

3 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No, it’s limited by what the PCM rate of the DAC is capable of carrying.

Yes, Roon can play DSD 256 via DoP, but the attached DAC's USB interface needs to accept 705.6 PCM to allow this.  I am doing such right now...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Ah, makes sense now. My QB-9 tops out at 384kHz PCM. Thus the 128DSD limit via DoP..

jonathan

23 hours ago, spin33 said:

I’m looking forward to Native DSD 265 with my QB-9 Twenty. Was there an appreciable difference with Native compared to using DoP?

I’m awaiting the Software update from Antipodes to enable this for my EX, (which utilizes the SonicOrbiter software). 

1 hour ago, desbiss said:

I’m looking forward to Native DSD 265 with my QB-9 Twenty. Was there an appreciable difference with Native compared to using DoP?

The short answer, no. Not to these 67 yr old ears anyway, and with the very small DSD catalog that I own. YMMV however. But suffice to say, both methods do sound outstanding to me 🙂

jonathan