IGNORED

Value, lack there of, and "High End"

57 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

unlike driving a high buck exotic car, over-spending on an audio system won't kill you or others

I understand your point. But I have many friends and colleagues who spend so much on frivolity and luxury that they really do compromise their health and safety and that of their families.  For example,  I’ve had many patients from my neighborhood who turned out to have poor or no health insurance despite appearances suggesting they should. One complained to me about having billed him for his $500 deductible. I pointed out that he drove to my office in his new 911 and was wearing an 18k DayDate, so it seemed a bit inconsistent to me.  He did not understand.

This behavior is common, in my experience. And it can pose serious risk.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I know of several deaths of exotic car owners from their poor driving skills.  No idea if it's a biased sample due to me being interested in cars...

It's not a biased sample.  In addition to being a competitor for decades, I was the race physician for Philly Region SCCA for about 20 years and for VSCCA and SVRA at multiple events from 1984 to 2000 - and I fished many a wealthy dilettante out of the wrecked exotic he had no business buying let alone driving in competition.  I pulled the same lawyer out of the same ex-Gurney GT-40 at Summit Point in '87 or '88 and the Grand Bahama Vintage grand Prix in '86. We had guys driving Allard J2Xs who couldn't handle a 948 bugeye.  One of my friends wrecked a gorgeous Turner in an end-over-end at Summit Point and his 944 on a local road - so he bought an E-type.  My wife's former dentist totalled his 944S in a "track event" at Watkins Glen.  And so forth and so on.

These guys also have great audio systems.......

29 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

experience is always knowledge, it is one of the categories of knowledge types

I have a bit of training and experience at knowledge management, e.g. GE Lean / 6 Sigma and Change Management training, with certification as a MBB (the highest level), and I've never seen experience categorized as knowledge.  If you have a reference or link to a source for your statement, I'd appreciate your posting it so I can see it in context and become familiar with the author.

The classic definition of knowledge is "facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education".  Read Plato's Meno for an excellent and classic discussion of the distinction between knowledge and experience, e.g.  

• "Teaching and knowledge are placed in contrast with practice or experience, emphasizing the distinction between these two operations in both meaning and purpose"
  • "At first glance, knowledge and experience look very similar to one another. By definition, knowledge is information and skills acquired through experience or education. Similarly, experience is defined as the knowledge or skill acquired by a period of practical experience of something. Although the two words are used in each other’s definitions and are seemingly very similar, a distinction can be made between knowledge and experience."
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

This is wrong ... technical "perfection" and listener satisfaction go hand in hand - I have never yet come across a rig, or worked on a system where the satisfaction doesn't improve as the technical correctness is increased.

For some listeners that’s true - but the “great unwashed” clearly prefer at least a bit of enhancement in their sound. Why do you think there are so many named EQ settings in mass market players? My car’s optional OEM sound system lets me select among multiple EQs that include “feel”.......

Look at the huge market for earbuds with “enhanced bass”.  Do you really think this is an effort to achieve pure fidelity to the source?

1 hour ago, crenca said:

By "radical subjective" I mean the idea (really, a set of ideas) that value is subjectively determined.  So the pensioner of limited means would say a $1500 HP is not a value because he or she could never afford it.

I'm still seeing this as a simple application of the value equation:  the pensioner of limited means determines whether or not food, clothing, medicine, transportation etc and the benefits of same are worth more to him or her than $1500 headphones.  If yes, the cans remain with the vendor.  If no, they go home with the pensioner.

Assuming that he or she has $1500, decision support for this is subjective, despite the obvious (at least to me) fact that foregoing medication to have better sound seems like a foolish choice.  Then again, sacrificing meds to buy cigarettes and booze is equally dumb but done every day by millions of people around the world.  It's all a matter of relative worth for a given cost.

23 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Whence cometh the radical?

You Kant mean that! :) 

Perhaps it's literally "radical", per the definition of the Greek word from which it arose: at, in or from the roots

There are some inherent aspects of subjectivism that strike me as pretty radical, e.g.

• Suppose subjectivism is correct and there are no objective moral truths.  Then the belief that lying is good, when expressed by a person who genuinely approves of telling lies, would be true. It would only be untrue if that person were knowingly lying about it.
  • If moral statements have no objective truth to them, how could we say that murder is wrong?

And then there's the practical subjectivism of John Steinbeck, who wrote in the Grapes of Wrath that "[t]here ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do."  

Although it's fun to stretch the mental muscles,, this thread mixes (and perhaps confuses) a bunch of loosely related concepts and facts that don't really belong together.  There are subjectivist theories of economics, e.g. Keynes' and Hayec's, but they're not the same as the philosophical subjectivist theories of Kant, Descartes, et al.  To philosophers, the subjectivist says simply enough that perception is reality.  The subjectivist economist, OTOH, is concerned with subjective perceptions of value.  Subjectivist economists (e.g. Bastiat, Menger et al) believe that for trade to occur between two people, each must assess the items traded differently - and each must prefer what he hopes to receive over what he is giving up for it.

Both appear to me to be reasonable models for the acquisition of audio equipment.