IGNORED

Glass cd's

3 hours ago, esldude said:

Probably less than zero.  It is so good it improves upon the sound on the disc making it even better, more lifelike, with a bigger soundstage and more analog like than reality.  What else could you call it other than ultra fidelity.  Output is better than input by magic. 

you could call it super fidelity

I'm honestly asking only out of curiosity and not to be provocative.

For those of you who mock the idea of the glass cd sounding better then a polycarbonate cd, assuming you had the time, would you have attended the demonstration of the playing of the glass cd or would you have passed?

The demonstration included a comparison between the glass cd, the same cd as a polycarbonate disc and the same cd as a UHQCD polycarbonate disc.

Joel

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

I probably would have attended.  I don't know the particulars, I'd have had questions about mastering and level of playback either during or after the show.  Failure to engage on those would have told me what I needed to know.  If they have something as terrific as described they'd be very, very happy to match levels and confirm provenance because it is all to their advantage.  Being obscure about those is nearly the same as saying something funny is going on we're pulling a fast one. 

So can someone contact Andy Lam and get answers to these questions.  Not as good as confirming it for yourself, but something. 

Also the general audiophile tendency to ignore level matching in all such A vs B comparisons is brain damaged.  Those who don't understand the importance of it are lacking in some important knowledge.  It should be requested and voiced so commonly that any such public demonstration would  begin with some confirmation that yes we are matching levels precisely let me show you how. 

If the CDs truly had identical contents, level matching would be as simple as not messing with the volume control when swapping discs.

6 hours ago, joelha said:

The demonstration included a comparison between the glass cd, the same cd as a polycarbonate disc and the same cd as a UHQCD polycarbonate disc.

The glass CD is a complicated processes. FIM employs some well known recording/mastering engineers to give the sound that audiophiles sought after. in short, you may have heard a different sound which involved a different master and production. 

UHQCD is a newer method which simplified the glass Cd process. Taking their word, it supposed to use the same remastered version which were meant for the glass cd production. Having said that, UHQCD may sound different due to the different production method.  

What you heard was real. 

16 minutes ago, STC said:

The glass CD is a complicated processes. FIM employs some well known recording/mastering engineers to give the sound that audiophiles sought after. in short, you may have heard a different sound which involved a different master and production. 

UHQCD is a newer method which simplified the glass Cd process. Taking their word, it supposed to use the same remastered version which were meant for the glass cd production. Having said that, UHQCD may sound different due to the different production method.  

What you heard was real. 

Well I'm in agreement that a different master will sound different. We could get that without the glass CD.  I've gladly paid for that via MFSL and others.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well I'm in agreement that a different master will sound different. We could get that without the glass CD.  I've gladly paid for that via MFSL and others.

K2, SH and few others, all involved remastering. Then they press them through some complicated process which ticked all the boxes for audiophile’s Perfect reproduction.  I thought I had one UHQCD Cd but couldn’t find them yesterday. Anyway, they sound different and probably better because they were remastered better than the original version for audiophiles. 

OP was just sharing what he observed which was a truthful account of the event in the context how it was demo’ed. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, joelha said:

I'm honestly asking only out of curiosity and not to be provocative.

For those of you who mock the idea of the glass cd sounding better then a polycarbonate cd, assuming you had the time, would you have attended the demonstration of the playing of the glass cd or would you have passed?

Joel

I would attend, but would likely take a laptop and ask to rip each so that I could do a bit comparison.