IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

58 minutes ago, mozes said:

So how can I  benefit from the ramroot option if I already run Euphony on an internal Optane drive?

Sorry if my question is a  bit dumb!

Not a dumb question, and no apology necessary! 

Loading the OS from an NVMe SSD (which is what your internal Optane drive is) is different from Ramroot:

• In normal mode, the boot loader will load the operating system (Euphony or AL, since both are based on Arch Linux) from the partition on the SSD that contains the root filesystem, i.e. that contains the / filesystem.
  • In Ramroot mode, the boot loader proceeds with an extra step. Early in the boot process, it creates a RAM disk partition (/dev/zram0) in memory, copies the contents of the / partition from the SSD to this partition, and then completes the boot from this RAM disk partition. 

What this means is that the filesystem containing the kernel and the OS files is now completely in RAM.

Why exactly this sounds better is yet to be explained, although a lot of theories abound, having to do with reducing the latency of OS operations due to all OS files being in RAM.

9 hours ago, misterspense said:

It was also once stated that the prime reason for using Optane was that the latency was comparable with RAM (and the noise comparable with USB). 

First, with regard to your question above. Optane's 3-D X-Point design may be faster than traditional SSD NAND, but it is still nowhere as fast as DRAM. For reference, see this table from Intel:

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.50.34 AM.png

Source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/21/storage_approaches_memory_speed_with_xpoint_and_storageclass_memory/

For this workload shown (not specified) Optane access is 35x slower than DRAM. Note that SSD is much slower - "...150 times slower than DRAM for writes and 600 times slower for reads." Obviously the exact numbers will vary with workload and different brands, but the basic point is clear - Optane's latency is still much higher than DRAM, while much lower than NAND SSD.

But all that said, this experiment being discussed here isn't related to the speed of Optane. It's to try ramroot mode on Euphony, just like it's been used on AudioLinux for all this while. Plenty of users are using ramroot on AL, while using Optane as their persistent storage. They still hear improved SQ.

The question being posed here, and what people testing the prototype are trying to determine with their ears is - is the same true with Euphony OS?

My ears tell me - yes.

For those testing with Stylus, one other experiment to try is to see if caching - via the "Use Cache" flag makes a sonic difference when in ramroot mode.

I was unclear about how caching works, so got some more insight from Željko. Here are the salient points:

• the cache is maintained in the /data/Music/E_CACHE directory
    • NOTE: this directory is NOT loaded into RAM in ramroot mode, because it is on a separate disk partition
  • on first play of a file, the stream is loaded from the original location, while in the background, the file is copied into the cache
  • subsequent plays load from the copy in the cache
  • The cache is allowed to grow until the free space in the /data partition falls below a threshold of some N GB. 
  • After that any new additions to cache result in evictions using a standard LRU policy.

2 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi All,

I finally managed to get Euphony running on my NUC7PJYH after using AL for some months.

Unfortunately I can only run it in Squeezelite mode as my Uptone LPS 1.2 is not powerful enough to power Stylus with a USB drive attached.

Still sounds good with Macmini running AL LMS as server.

Have 8GB of RAM in the NUC and have setup ram buffers as suggested previously on pg. 9 my Rajiv.

With LMS on the Mini, you should be able to run StylusEP on the NUC instead of SqueezeLite, and I find StylusEP to sound better. It also presents as a Squeezebox, just like SqueezeLite.

I also seem to remember that Željko implemented a distributed mode in Stylus. If so, you can also try running Stylus on Euphony on you Mini, and then StylusEP on your NUC. This would be better sounding than LMS, in my experience.

See what works and what you think.

2 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Can someone help me setup CPU isolation for the NUC which has 4 cores.

Are you running with hyperthreading enabled or disabled? Either way, without entering any values, first just hit Apply next to the CPU isolation field in Expert Settings. In the resulting screen, cut and paste the output here. Based on that, I can suggest an isolation setting to try.

3 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Hmm..  distributed mode? I have tried this (Stylus on the server and StylusEP on the NUC endpoint) but Stylus doesn't "see" the StylusEP. Stylus must support the Squeezebox protocol for this mode I guess? What does work is Stylus plus HQPlayer on the server and Networkaudio activated on the NUC. And it sounds to my ears better than standalone. I have the cheap NUC7CJYH only with the original ps. What will happen if I buy a NUC7i7DNBE (and a Keces P8)? I wonder.

Maybe I misunderstood. Hopefully Željko can clarify.

4 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Hmm..  distributed mode? I have tried this (Stylus on the server and StylusEP on the NUC endpoint) but Stylus doesn't "see" the StylusEP. Stylus must support the Squeezebox protocol for this mode I guess? What does work is Stylus plus HQPlayer on the server and Networkaudio activated on the NUC. And it sounds to my ears better than standalone. I have the cheap NUC7CJYH only with the original ps. What will happen if I buy a NUC7i7DNBE (and a Keces P8)? I wonder.

If you run Stylus on your server machine, and StylusEP on your DAC-attached endpoint, you should just automagically see the DAC appear as a device in the Settings of your Stylus machine. If you don't, open a ticket. It should be working...

1 hour ago, HeeBroG said:

Thanks Rajiv.

I am now trying StylusEP.

As for the Squeezelite buffers, the suggested settings are o longer "sticking".

I have 8Gb RAM and what used to be 79% usage is now 4%.

Squeezelite buffers are only used when you run Squeezelite, not with StylusEP. The latter manages its own memory, so that's why the memory utilization is much lower.

1 hour ago, HeeBroG said:

Here is the screen shot of the CPU isolation as well.

Cheers,

G

Euphony2.jpeg

Euphony.jpeg

Since you're running a NUC7PJYH, which has the Pentium J5005 processor, that does not have hyperthreading, you're limited to 4 CPUs. You could try:

• 0 gstp 1-3 (CPU 0 for default, CPU 1-3 for StylusEP), or
  • 0-1 gstp 2-3 (CPU 0-1 for default, CPU 2-3 for StylusEP)

Play with these and other allocations and see what you think.

5 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Rajiv,

Do I recall correctly reading that you use the distributed setup when "grazing" but Stylus monolithic when listening seriously?

This implies Stylus is better in monolithic setup; at least in your system?

G

I'm not sure to what you're referring when you say "distributed" vs. "monolithic" setup.

Let me clarify. My current music server HW is standalone, i.e. I use a single DAC-attached machine. So my point about grazing had only to do with software. When I'm grazing, I use "Roon+StylusEP," running on the one machine. For serious listening, I switch over to Stylus, which also runs on one machine.

If by distributed you're referring to Stylus on the server and StylusEP on the endpoint, I don't use that mode obviously, since that requires 2 machines. Stated differently, on a single server, there is no such thing as "Stylus+StylusEP."

Is that what you're asking, or did I misunderstand your question?

On 8/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, HeeBroG said:

At the moment I run AL on my Macmini server and Euphony on my NUC7PJYH.

Hi Geoff,

The above are OSes. What music software do you run on:

1. the server
  2. the NUC endpoint?

I tried Stylus EP but found long pauses between tracks and new tracks take 10-20sec to load depending on file size.

This isn't my experience at all with StylusEP. Are you loading music files from a very slow device - like a USB stick or a USB 2.0 drive? Also, what network speed are you running? (1Gbps, or 100Mbps, or 10Mbps)?

I noticed that memory usage was only 4% and it is not adjustable.

Yes, StylusEP does not preallocate large buffers like squeezelite, that I've used extensively, as you know. That notwithstanding, to my ears StylusEP sounds better than SL with large buffers, without the annoying glitchiness that plagues the SL configuration.

Things run more smoothly using Stylus Squeezlite and the buffers are adjustable and it so happens that 79% of 8Gb is used with my settings.

From this I surmised that Stylus EP doesn't use the RAM in my NUC and is more reliant on AL/Macmini to preload files which I am not sure I can adjust.

Could be wrong.

In any case in my system there is not much difference in performance.

G

Ultimately, it's what you hear in your system that counts, so fair enough. But I'm puzzled by the behavior you mentioned, as it's not my experience at all, and suggests you may have some configuration issues.

14 hours ago, Anwar said:

I had the same experience.  It's like Euphony is trying to produce more details than necessary.  Based on my observation, "Buffer before Play" may not work properly with RAM root option - I can see the HDD light blinking most of the time.

Are you using Stylus? "Buffer before play = 100%" and "Use cache" are only applicable to the Stylus server.

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

how  does one convert the Optane memory to an attachable disk for format/write?

Hi David,

Optane storage is not a "menory stick" in that it does not plug into a memory slot, nor does the BIOS present it to the OS as RAM.

Optane storage (using a technology called 3-D X-Point), while faster than conventional NAND SSD storage, still presents to the OS as an SSD. The HW packaging is in the same M.2 form factor as NVMe SSDs, and so to the OS it just looks like an NVMe SSD, albeit with different speed and latency characteristics.

What often confuses matters is that one of the use cases Intel touts for Optane is as a cache accelerator for a slower (but much larger) HDD. This use case requires additional software support (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology), which as far as I know, is only supported on Windows.

None of us are using this use case, so for the purposes of this discussion, think of Optane as just an SSD with outstandingly low latency, and very low electrical noise.

1 hour ago, Anwar said:

I am using Stylus and play from local USB music SSD.  "Buffer before play = 100%" always checked and "use cache" always unchecked.

Let me clarify after additional observations.  Apparently for all versions, RAM root or not, for the first folder I "Add & Play" after boot, a green box appears with "Playing dir ....  from song number:1".  When changing tracks, the orange small box "Buffering" never shows up.

The second folder I "Add & Play" after boot, the green box appears with 

Buffering
Playing dir ... from song number:1

When changing tracks, the orange small box "Buffering" shows up.

So it seems there is no buffering for the first folder we selected and played.  I hope others can share their observation too.

Interesting. It would be interesting to get some information from Euphony on how to confirm buffering is working.

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Is there a way to use Euphony Stylus server to feed a separate Stylus endpoint?

Yes.  You run "Stylus" on the server machine, and "StylusEP" on the endpoint machine.

Caveat: I have no direct experience with this, but look back a few posts - someone just reported success with this configuration.

3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Firstly, the Core 0 temperature increases after applying my particular Isolation settings (as previously posted). After reboot, the temperature reduces to the default values. If I hit the Apply button at this point, the temperature starts increasing again.

Secondly, I believe that hitting the Apply button with an empty field will show the actual core values without changing them. If I do this after applying Isolation, the display shows the correct values. If I do this after reboot, the displays shows the default values (0-7 for everything). Tip: Remember to Ctrl/C your isolation settings before clearing the field, so you can quickly re-instate then later.

Thirdly, by listening. If I re-hit the Isolation Apply button after reboot, I get a boost in SQ. Any subjective test is not totally reliable, but that's what I hear. It's harder to notice this on reboot because of the larger time lapse and because even default sounds pretty good anyway.

Are you by any chance setting the isolation flags:

• while booted in ramroot, and
  • do you have the flag set to copy app data to root?

If so, you may just be losing the settings on reboot because they were not save back to the disk.

I do not have any issue with any of the Expert Settings getting lost on reboot, including the isolation flags.

2 hours ago, dctom said:

I  asked this earlier, is it possible to use my NAS to play music with Euphony and if it is, how to do it?

At the moment Euphony "sees" the NAS but will not connect. 

Would be grateful for any help.

My music lives on my NAS, and I use Euphony OS to access it with no problem. You didn't say what music player you're referring to. The process is different depending on the server.

Here's my example. The full path to the music folder is \\192.168.0.240\root\My Music\Lossless. Here is what it looks like in Stylus, and in Roon.

For Stylus:

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 3.42.08 PM.png

In Roon:

image.png

3 hours ago, dctom said:

Thank you for your response austinpop.

I can run euphony with HQP on my server and send files to my NUC running NAA, HQP picks up the NAS ok. However when I try stylus it wont connect to the NAS, it  shows it as hidden and when I browse network it does not show as available?

I don't have roon maybe that is the issue.

I have a guess as to what is happening. If you've already mounted a NAS folder through another music app like HQPlayer, it stays mounted when you switch to Stylus. The code to add a "Network folder" in the Library tab seems to not handle a folder that is already mounted by another app. I now remember I ran into this early on, and Željko had to remote in to my system to fix it.

One possible solution to fix it yourself is to suppress the mounting of the NAS by HQPlayer, by doing this sequence:

1. Switch to some other server - like Airplay Audio Server
  2. Reboot
  3. After reboot, you should come back up with Airplay Audio Server running. No NAS folder should be mounted. If you're up for it, you can ssh into the system using credentials audiouser/euphony, and running "df." You shouldn't see any NAS mount in the list. If that sounds too daunting, skip and proceed to step 4.
  4. Switch to Stylus
  5. Now try adding the NAS via the Library tab.

If that doesn't work, then you should open a support ticket.