IGNORED

Sonore systemOptique

systemoptique-logo.png.74f6cd2a330f40ca8f74a60e1d824d14.png

What systemOptique? 

systemOptique is a fiber optic Ethernet interconnection scheme that utilizes a new series of Sonore products with optical transceiver capabilities. Please note that this system was also designed to work seamlessly with the original Rendu series.

Why systemOptique?
1. Shortly after we launched, the microRendu some customers started using off the shelf fiber optic to Ethernet converters for galvanic isolation. The problem with these products is that they isolate the Rendu from the network, but they don’t isolate the Rendu from their low-quality power supplies and their price point circuits.
2. Later some customers started connecting their Rendu directly to their music servers via Ethernet. This has some obvious issues because you are connecting the noisiest device on your network to the cleanest device on your network.
3. Recently, some customers have been tinkering with modifying off the shelf network gear and distributing critical clocks over a wire. Adding sensitive oscillators to dirty circuits, distributing low jitter clocks signals over a wiring mess, and interconnecting ground plans across multiple devices is less than an optimal solution.

While the solutions above seemed reasonable on face value we understood that noise can potentially find its way into ANY traditional ethernet cable (regardless of CAT series, copper purity, cable quality, shielding, etc...).  systemOptique solves the noise problem by creating an optical solution with infinite galvanic isolation between your music server and your opticalRendu.

1678431926_ScreenShot2019-03-09at7_53_14AM.png.3f764ac5b84e1b2d8774cfdacd90e750.png

So how do I get the WOW factor?
What was needed was a properly engineered system and to that end, we designed some new products for your consideration:

1. Sonore opiticalRendu - The opticalRendu utilizes an SFP fiber optic transceiver at its input to provide 100% galvanic isolation from the network and USB-audio output. The opticalRendu has linear power regulation, CPU circuit design with femto clocking, USB circuit design with femto clocking, and a network circuit design with femto clocking. This unit utilizes SonicOrbiter for its operating system so you already know how to use it.
  2. Sonore opticalModule - The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver along with an RJ45 connector which can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network. The circuit design features femto clocking, linear power regulation, external power input. 
  3. Sonore Signature Rendu SE - The Sonore Signature Rendu SE will get a new Optical Ethernet Input to USB Audio Output. We will also offer an upgrade path to optical Ethernet input to existing Signature Rendu SE owner.
  4. Sonore opticalModule OEM/DIY - The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver and can be installed directly into computer server.
  • 1 month later...

A note about mismatching fiber-optic gear

The reason we came up with systemOptique was to try to provide and recommend gear that is compatible with each other. Below is a list of gear that is systemOptique certified.  

Some basic tips

1. No hassle option - each opticalRendu ships with a SFP fiber transceiver and a 1m optical cable. Each opticalModule ships with a SFP fiber transceiver. Power supplies are optional with the purchase of the opticalRendu and opticalModule. 

2. DIY option - if you have your own or plan to buy your own optical networking gear these are the basic specifications to look for systemOptique certified.

• Gigabit: 1000base-SX (10/100/1000 base units are not supported, only use 1000 base)
  • Interface: LC
  • Fiber type: 62.5/125um Multi-Mode
  • Wave Length: 850nm
  • 3 weeks later...

Above we listed some of the Sonore products which we recommend for you get the WOW factor. Items #1, #2, and #3 have been available for some time and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Enjoy.

I'm happy to report that #4 is now available just in time for the holidays. We had a soft start during Black Friday and the SGC sonicTransporters is now shipping with fiber optical output built right into the server. FYI no switch is needed because it plays directly into an opticalRendu without passing go! In case you are wondering, this solution is based on the opticalModule design and provides 100% galvanic isolation between server and endpoint. Let us know any questions.

Look ma no switch

1456118100_ScreenShot2019-12-17at8_07_21AM.png.5162d836922664907f15c7b62beee52f.png

12 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Above we listed some of the Sonore products which we recommend for you get the WOW factor. Items #1, #2, and #3 have been available for some time and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Enjoy.

I'm happy to report that #4 is now available just in time for the holidays. We had a soft start during Black Friday and the SGC sonicTransporters is now shipping with fiber optical output built right into the server. FYI no switch is needed because it plays directly into an opticalRendu without passing go! In case you are wondering, this solution is based on the opticalModule design and provides 100% galvanic isolation between server and endpoint. Let us know any questions.

Is it feasible and practical to convert an existing ST into optical out?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

47 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I'm happy to report that #4 is now available just in time for the holidays. We had a soft start during Black Friday and the SGC sonicTransporters is now shipping with fiber optical output built right into the server. FYI no switch is needed because it plays directly into an opticalRendu without passing go! In case you are wondering, this solution is based on the opticalModule design and provides 100% galvanic isolation between server and endpoint. Let us know any questions.

Look ma no switch

1456118100_ScreenShot2019-12-17at8_07_21AM.png.5162d836922664907f15c7b62beee52f.png

If the sever and the OR are directly connected with no switch, what's their relationship to the rest of the home network?
Can I still see the Web UI for the OR from my wifi based tablet?
And what about playback software installed on another device in my home network, in other words, not installed on the ST i9 optical? Can it still reach the OR? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

32 minutes ago, firedog said:

If the sever and the OR are directly connected with no switch, what's their relationship to the rest of the home network?
And what about playback software installed on another device in my home network, in other words, not installed on the ST i9 optical? Can it still reach the OR? 

i would think that wouldn't be a problem.  they've got to be bridging the connection via the i9 and the OR would still have to have an ip address.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
11 hours ago, firedog said:

You can still see Web UI from your tablet. Your other devices should also see the Rendu. 

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased the full System Optique from Small Green Computer, including their Sonore recommended power supplies. I finally managed to get everything connected and working and couldn't be happier. .The sound quality is a solid improvement over my already very good UltraRendu, and is simply exceptional. Besides the expected lowering of an already very low noise floor, the overall sound has greater clarity and depth. And, even after a week of listening, I am still routinely amazed by sounds appearing from seemingly out of nowhere, the silence is so absolute. Thanks for a great product series, Jesus! 

JC

Oh, and I forgot to add a question to this. My router is upstairs, a floor, and the length of the house away from my Sonore System Optique components. I currently have a very high 60 foot ethernet cable running from the router, out of that room, down the hall, down the stairs, and across the listening room. Would things improve sonically if I moved the optical module up next to the router, connected it with a short cable, and then ran a 60 foot, armored fiber optic cable from it to the Optical Rendu? 

JC

On 1/19/2020 at 5:41 AM, TubeLover said:

Oh, and I forgot to add a question to this. My router is upstairs, a floor, and the length of the house away from my Sonore System Optique components. I currently have a very high 60 foot ethernet cable running from the router, out of that room, down the hall, down the stairs, and across the listening room. Would things improve sonically if I moved the optical module up next to the router, connected it with a short cable, and then ran a 60 foot, armored fiber optic cable from it to the Optical Rendu? 

JC

60ft is not really that long but the general advice is to have the long run in fibre then the shortest by ethernet. I recently installed 120m in fibre with optical modules either end. I had a four core cable made up so I can run both a switch at the end and my Optical Rendu on the other two fibres.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:49 AM, lumos said:

60ft is not really that long but the general advice is to have the long run in fibre then the shortest by ethernet. I recently installed 120m in fibre with optical modules either end. I had a four core cable made up so I can run both a switch at the end and my Optical Rendu on the other two fibres.

Thanks for the valuable input, much appreciated. Should I also be adding a second optical module at the far end of the run, where it connects to the Optical Rendu, for best performance? I also have a recommended Cisco switch that I'll be adding to the scenario eventually. 

JC

2 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks for the valuable input, much appreciated. Should I also be adding a second optical module at the far end of the run, where it connects to the Optical Rendu, for best performance? I also have a recommended Cisco switch that I'll be adding to the scenario eventually. 

JC

No, you already have an optical signal at that end and it will go straight into the Optical Rendu. If you had an ultra rendu then of course you have to convert it back to wired ethernet. If you needed other wired internet devices at the Optical Rendu end then ensure that the armoured optical that you have run has enough cores then on the other connect to a switch but keep the optical rendu's fibre dedicated. I am not sure of your setup but for the hassle of running optical cable make sure it has enough cores to give you flexibility. It is two fibre 'channels' per connection, so I have four fibres for my two connections.

Regarding the length of a fiber optical cable in my high resolution open baffle system With DEQX (modded) active crossovers my music server was a JPlay ( by Marcin) advised board and components and a PCIe slot with fiber USB out and external power supply. Used  A SR Paul Hynes 5v for it. I bought it with a supplied 10 mtr optical cable used by the company of the optical USB card itself while I needed, well 20 cm would do. It sounded transparent and musical. The rolled (or coiled?) 10 mtr optical fiber wire tucked behind my stereo setup ( Jadis tube amps heavily modded by Joe Rasmussen in AU) bothered me. SO i bought a 1mtr version and to my surprise it sounded slightly but discernible better, quieter. I was surprised I cant explain it (yet). So i proudly claim I agree with Adrian and trust my ears

• 3 months later...

Has anybody else tried the Planet GT-1205A Media Converter with their oR?

I am currently running my oR direct via SFP into the switch.

My STi7 converts via an oM into the switch.

WiFi connects into the Ethernet port on the switch.

Sounds quite nice, better than my NetGear Prosafe GS105.

Planet s Black network media converter
Image of Planet s Black network media converter

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
12 hours ago, MrDerrick said:

Has anybody else tried the Planet GT-1205A Media Converter with their oR?

I am currently running my oR direct via SFP into the switch.

My STi7 converts via an oM into the switch.

WiFi connects into the Ethernet port on the switch.

Sounds quite nice, better than my NetGear Prosafe GS105.

Image of Planet s Black network media converter

I should have said, this switch connection configuration vs the GS105 sounds better in my system with the oR.

• Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
On 5/1/2020 at 4:25 AM, MrDerrick said:

I should have said, this switch connection configuration vs the GS105 sounds better in my system with the oR.

Why would you want to add a media converter if you are running directly from the SFP on the switch?  Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't that add more (unneeded) complexity and possibly compromising the sound?  If one was to consider adding a media converter in this specific scenario, it would have to be an OM or nothing IMHO

My rig

Foggie,

Just consider it a 3 port switch, 2 SFP and 1 Ethernet.

OpticalRendu SFP > SFP port

SonicTransporter i7 Etherent > OpricalModule > SFP port

Router > Ethernet port