IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

Lyndonlim, I had a similar issue where I wanted to try the OM, but needed an extra PS and did not want to purchase an expensive one. I purchased the OM and a Jameco wallwart lps, which was proposed by a member of the Sonore forum. I compared my HDPlex ATX400 W to the Jameco 5 VDC/1A/5 W wallwart lps (P/N DDU050100M2270) at $10.95 and could not hear any sonic difference. This tells me a lot about the Jameco quality. This wallwart is surprisingly heavy.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100M2270-AC-DC-Power-Supply-WALL-ADAPTER-TRANSFORMER-SINGLE-OUT-5V-1A-5W-DDU050100M2270-Jameco-Reliapro_1953612.html

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:09 AM, vortecjr said:

It's worth a try...the opticalModule works fine with the ultraRendu. 

Sorry, my mistake (wishful thinking) I have a microRendu that only accepts 10/100. So I guess the oM won't work for me.

CJH

On 6/18/2019 at 8:57 PM, Dasign said:

Lyndonlim, I had a similar issue where I wanted to try the OM, but needed an extra PS and did not want to purchase an expensive one. I purchased the OM and a Jameco wallwart lps, which was proposed by a member of the Sonore forum. I compared my HDPlex ATX400 W to the Jameco 5 VDC/1A/5 W wallwart lps (P/N DDU050100M2270) at $10.95 and could not hear any sonic difference. This tells me a lot about the Jameco quality. This wallwart is surprisingly heavy.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100M2270-AC-DC-Power-Supply-WALL-ADAPTER-TRANSFORMER-SINGLE-OUT-5V-1A-5W-DDU050100M2270-Jameco-Reliapro_1953612.html

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately I am in 240v land so I won't be able to use the Jameco. 

Hi Everyone on the forum,

Is OM compatible with 10/100 network cards?
My CD-player uses one for streaming and it was the deciding factor when I chose TP-Link MC110CS for optical bridge instead the Gigabyte ones, which would not work in this scenario.

29 minutes ago, StefanD said:

Hi Everyone on the forum,

Is OM compatible with 10/100 network cards?
My CD-player uses one for streaming and it was the deciding factor when I chose TP-Link MC110CS for optical bridge instead the Gigabyte ones, which would not work in this scenario.

the optical module runs a gigabit, so it won't work with 10/100 devices.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 hours ago, CJH said:

Sorry, my mistake (wishful thinking) I have a microRendu that only accepts 10/100. So I guess the oM won't work for me.

CJH

???

Sorry, - but how is that possible? It is my understanding that all microRendu's have 10/100/1000 NICs in them. I've never used a Sonore product with anything but gigabit.....

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

???

Sorry, - but how is that possible? It is my understanding that all microRendu's have 10/100/1000 NICs in them. I've never used a Sonore product with anything but gigabit.....

Correct, the Ethernet connection on the microRendu is 10/100/1000 capable. Optical is different. The fiber protocol does not implement auto-negotiation, both sides have to be either 100 or both 1000. The oM is set so both the optical and wired connections are only 1000.

John S.

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Correct, the Ethernet connection on the microRendu is 10/100/1000 capable. Optical is different. The fiber protocol does not implement auto-negotiation, both sides have to be either 100 or both 1000. The oM is set so both the optical and wired connections are only 1000.

John S.

@JohnSwenson

On Etherregen the SFP port is gigabit only also or can accept 100?

Optical on the EtherREGEN is 100 Mbps, but optical on the opticalModule is gigabit only.  These optical ports can't talk to each other.  Correct?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

24 minutes ago, rickca said:

Optical on the EtherREGEN is 100 Mbps, but optical on the opticalModule is gigabit only.  These optical ports can't talk to each other.  Correct?

I thought the EtherREGEN’s SFP was gigabit whereas the ‘special’ wired port was 100Mbps? But feel free to browse the forum and correct me if I’m wrong.......

4 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

I thought the EtherREGEN’s SFP was gigabit whereas the ‘special’ wired port was 100Mbps?

You are right the special isolated port on the EtherREGEN is 10/100.  I'm not sure whether the EtherREGEN supports gigabit optical.  Sorry if I've compounded the confusion.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 hours ago, Superdad said:

Allow me to clear this up:

• The 4 copper Ethernet ports on the ‘A’ side of the EtherREGEN are 10/100/1000–so yes, Gigabit-capable.
  • The SFP cage on the ‘A’ side of the EtherREGEN supports only Gigabit modules (same ones, types, and reasons as for SFP support in opticalModule and opticalRendu).
  • The 1 copper Ethernet port on the ‘B’ side (actively isolated in its own separate yet co-equal clock/power/data domain) is 10/100 mbps only. 

Also, I meant to suggesting above that he should connect his 100 speed device to the, "1 copper Ethernet port on the ‘B’ side (actively isolated in its own separate yet co-equal clock/power/data domain) is 10/100 mbps only." 

Wow, these opticalModules run very hot with a 9v power supply. I'm running the upstream unit with an iFi iPower 9v supply and the downstream one with a 9v SBooster.  Is this going to be a problem? My old Krell amps gave off less heat than these things!

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, Axiom05 said:

Wow, these opticalModules run very hot with a 9v power supply. I'm running the upstream unit with an iFi iPower 9v supply and the downstream one with a 9v SBooster.  Is this going to be a problem? My old Krell amps gave off less heat than these things!

I had the same issue - @JohnSwensonsays it's okay but I switched to a 5v supply which runs cool. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

I had the same issue - @JohnSwensonsays it's okay but I switched to a 5v supply which runs cool. 

Thanks for your response. I'm just not comfortable with things running this hot, doesn't seem right. The unit with the iFi iPower is so hot I can't keep my fingers on it for more than a few seconds. I've ordered a 5v iPower as a replacement. The 9v SBooster was originally purchased for my ultraRendu but that ran very hot and I switched to a Channel Island 7v. Funny thing is that my ultraDigital runs cool with a 9v SBooster, the uR did not.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I got my opticalModule bundle today (dual oM with dual SGC 5V LPSs). Thanks Jesus!

My Server / Streamer is Innuos ZENith MK3.

I had a pair of TPLinks powered by SOtM sPS-1000 before.

For you folks standing on sidelines, these work! Significant improvement compared to TPLinks! Not exaggerating! It’s like I bought a new streamer. Right off the bat, I am experiencing a much darker background, and a very nice timbre. 

76C4973D-C07A-4070-B9F3-FD7B342E13B8.jpeg

9BB503C2-B4ED-4AFE-9050-2FD0195B236B.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Funny thing is that my ultraDigital runs cool with a 9v SBooster, the uR did not

That is because the ultraDigital does not use much current at all, so even if the internal regulators have to drop a handful of volts, there is just not nearly as much power dissipation.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

5VDC and 7VDC are much better heat wise dissipation wise.