IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

We all remember the Stereophile Playback Designs MPS-5 measurements ... and the manufacturers response...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/playback-designs-mps-5-sacdcd-player-manufacturers-comment

As we are always researching new ideas, the next-generation algorithms may very well make these kind of measurements even worse”. 

Full response at link above.

Well, I don't think it measures badly... SNR could be better, but I don't see big faults. Would be nice to get my hands on Playback Designs Merlot DAC. I've heard the Nagra Classic DAC running at DSD128 (from HQPlayer) and it sounded really good, and Andreas Koch is one of the designers behind it. Hoping to hear the HD DAC X at Munich, but unfortunately probably not through HQPlayer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I’ve also heard the MPS-5 and Merlot DAC (latter directly driving my headphones) and it was incredible.. in fact I can still remember how the music sounded and the feeling. And that was even after reading those measurements. Whether I enjoyed more distortions or whatever, there was something quite special.

Only "fault" JA complains about is random background noise. If you can hear it, it is just like tape hiss or radio background noise. Important thing is that it is not correlated with the music. But the distortion levels are low.

Sometimes I tend to disagree with JA's conclusions. For example if you look at this:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kalista-dreamplay-one-cd-player-measurements

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Have any Tambaqui or Makua DAC owners tried HQPlayer with this DAC?  Given the design does it reap much benefits?

Based on their documentation it converts DSD to PCM first before converting it again to 1-bit stream. So it doesn't play DSD natively. You likely get better results by sending highest supported rate PCM from HQPlayer instead. Of course that way, all the various upsampling filter options, convolution engine for digital room correction, etc of HQPlayer is still available and fully usable.

5 hours ago, Davidny said:

In the Tambaqui  “...all incoming digital audio is upsampled to 3.125MHz/32 bits and converted  to noise shaped PWM”  Given this internal processing, which seems unique and to my ears makes the Tambaqui sound very special, I doubt that pre processing the digital signal with add anything, and more likely will subtract from the end result.  

But if you try HQP let us know what you hear, one never knows unless you try it for yourself.

Generally, the first rate conversion step up from RedBook is the most critical, then the following things are less, until you hit the modulator. Modulator is something you cannot replace or change in the Mola-Mola, you always get one fixed choice and that's it.

4 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I agree with your comment - its likely the best of HQPlayer cannot be achieved with this DAC.  Which leaves me at an odd cross-road - can a good direct (no decimation, tampering of DSD) 1-bit convertor with a streamer endpoint good enough to keep up, match the Tambaqui?

You could compare it to the T+A SDV3100 HV running at DSD1024. Would be interesting to hear how people think the two compare. Unfortunately I have neither one, so I don't know...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Nenon said:

It seems like heavy upsampling on the Mola-mola is a major part of its design and cannot be bypassed completely. There is a chance that sending the max 384kHz rate would reduce the processing by a fraction. But in that case we would be trading a fraction of less processing in the DAC for more real time processing on the server side. In other words, hard to predict what would sound better. 

First step up is the one that makes biggest audible difference. So if you get started with 44.1k and output 384k, then the next step from there on has much less audible impact on the sound. One big benefit in the first step comes from use of apodizing filters which allows to fix up some problems caused by downsampling in the original source material.

Of course this is still different than doing let's say upsampling from 44.1 kHz to 11.2896 MHz like you would typically do in HQPlayer. Not to mention effect of different modulators. But it is not black and white.

14 hours ago, barrows said:

Given how good it sounds with native rate files, it makes me wonder if this might be one of a very few DACs which might not benefit from external oversampling via HQPlayer

It depends if you like the digital filter it has or not, I don't know how many different filter options MM DACs offer. For example lot of Chord users still use HQPlayer upsampling.

I'm usually changing filter based on type of source material, because I know certain material sounds better with certain filters.

• 10 months later...
40 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I can confirm that the DXD file list Craig supplied does indeed have issues when playing via the Tambaqui, and yet plays fine via my Holo May.  Mola Mola techs have confirmed it, too, and supposedly were creating a firmware update to solve it (seems some noise on the files that other dacs filter out the Mola Mola does not.....which leads me to want to investigate the noise source...and many of these we sold him).  This is DXD only, and a few selections (same label, same artist, same cycle...rest are fine).  Weird.

It's not about some DACs filtering something out, but more about the modulator design. Likely it trips up the Mola Mola modulator...

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

I'll also spend more time on DSD sources to see if these are rendered with the same care and precision of the May at DSD256 EC7V2.  Most of my DSD listening will be multichannel (although I have a lot of 2 channel DSD) so Tambaqui's resampling of DSD is not a deal breaker, assuming it is not the giant leap that PCM is.

Too bad it behaves like Chord, converting DSD to lower rate PCM first and then back up. It could as well feed it straight to the conversion stage, but for whatever reason is not doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, ecwl said:

T&A and most other brands are using multi-element multi-bit delta-sigma DAC chips with their own upsampling algorithms but the DAC chip still uses thermometer code to dynamically select the elements (DEM).

T+A, Holo and some others have multi-element DSD DAC that you can run from external oversampling and modulators... 😉

On 2/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, ecwl said:

I believe the advantage of the analog moving average filter is that you do get less glitch energy with each flip-flop switching compared to a DAC chip with dynamically selected elements

That is also what I did in my DSC1 DAC 8+ years ago (relesed March 2014, but I started working on it in spring 2013).