IGNORED

It *cannot* just be about 1's and 0's - surely?

Mazza

2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I’m in over my head technically here but are you saying that ”maintaining a bias on the dielectric at a substantially higher voltage than is ever achieved through normal use” would have an effect on digital cables but not analog cables even though Audioquest makes no such distinction?

the two are different in whats happening. Amplifiers by and large are mostly 1800's  E& M science with a dash of bias amplification from either tube or solid state science

of the  1900's. You can get fancy with electronic volume controls or class D circuits but the overriding component interaction when you use an interconnect is LRC  and good design tries to protect the gain stage from undesirable LRC interactions. Raising the  static voltage bias point of two interconnected analog devices shouldn't do much, as voltage change and current is what drives signal in analog.

Digital components on the other hand are interconnected logic circuits. If you raise the bias point you change the square wave  voltage  at transition points. Depending on the connected endpoint logic circuits design and signal attenuation, that could help. The transition point is where a 1 or 0 is detected.  Conversely though with a different design, that may be bad, I could never get a Gustard U12 to sync with my DAC at 176/192khz with DBS enabled

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, JD809 said:

I purchased a Vero audio cable from an indiegogo project they launched a few years ago. I opened up the cable and discovered a circuit board inside, I still have no idea if this improved the sound or distorted it. I don't regret doing it as it was a learning experience. But long story short, I don't use it anymore.

If it's an analog audio cable, any circuitry in such a cable would, by definition, be passive (no power). It's most likely some external capacitance, Inductance, and/or resistance. This makes for a filter and is used to attenuate dome portion of the audio spectrum in order to make another portion sound more prominent. Often it's just a dB or two, just enough for "their" cables to sound different from other cables. IOW, it's no longer a cable it's a fixed tone control -one over which you, the listener, has no control. You're better off buying an active equalizer. At least then YOU will have control over which frequencies are being altered and by how much! 

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Why would it? It's an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. If you go into an auto-parts store, you will find a section of the store that sells what my father used to call "mouse milk". These are fluids (and hardware) of dubious worth. Various mystery oils and gasoline additives, devices said to turbo-charge your car by changing the way that air enters your carburetor or FI system, and dubious spark plugs called "Fire Injectors" promising to increase power while giving better fuel economy. A company named J.C. Whitney used to have a catalog full of this automotive nonsense (and some useful parts too). The audiophile world has the same thing for the same reason. While AQ makes some real products, they are selling "mouse milk" along with it and I'm afraid that the hype accompanying their cables is in that category. Buy AQ analog and digital interconnects because they are well made and look good, but any claims made about their sonic performance or any gimmicks they employ that aren't general practice among all cable manufacturers (like "bias batteries" for the cable shield) take with a grain of salt. There is no real science or engineering behind the claims and they do nothing. AQ is counting of expectational bias  to sell this crap. ("Gee, I paid a lot of money for these AQ cables with the battery in them, they had better give me the sonic improvement I'm looking for!") And so they do...  

Of course.  You'll get no opposition from me about this.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

the two are different in whats happening. Amplifiers by and large are mostly 1800's  E& M science with a dash of bias amplification from either tube or solid state science

of the  1900's. You can get fancy with electronic volume controls or class D circuits but the overriding component interaction when you use an interconnect is LRC  and good design tries to protect the gain stage from undesirable LRC interactions. Raising the  static voltage bias point of two interconnected analog devices shouldn't do much, as voltage change and current is what drives signal in analog.

Digital components on the other hand are interconnected logic circuits. If you raise the bias point you change the square wave  voltage  at transition points. Depending on the connected endpoint logic circuits design and signal attenuation, that could help. The transition point is where a 1 or 0 is detected.  Conversely though with a different design, that may be bad, I could never get a Gustard U12 to sync with my DAC at 176/192khz with DBS enabled

Nothing you’ve said in this post has anything to do with what Audioquest claims is happening with their DBS system. 

https://www.audioquest.com/content/aq/pdf/Dielectric-Bias-System-DBS.pdf

On 12/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, davide256 said:

I can't speak to the USB cable. But I can tell you with the Eagle Eye coax, removing the DBS batteries leaves it sounding no better than the exotic material coax cables I've built myself. The DBS when energized puts the cable at a much higher plateau for resolution and neutrality.

Given that and how well the Lush 2 works, there's clearly more to how to connect two devices together than just good soldering, insulation, and materials.

I have one Eagle Eye coax and if I disconnect the DBS batteries it change the sound negatively. I have also tried some diverse types of ferrites on my digital coax cables and the improvement with the “right” type of ferrites is similar to what the DBS batteries does, but with much greater effect.

16 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Nothing you’ve said in this post has anything to do with what Audioquest claims is happening with their DBS system. 

https://www.audioquest.com/content/aq/pdf/Dielectric-Bias-System-DBS.pdf

It's all BS, you can safely ignore it. If it actually worked they way they said it did, the effect wouldn't be on/off from using/not using the batteries. And it would not have interferred

with synching 176/192 audio to  a Gustard U12.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system