IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Seems it takes people quite a few rounds on this forum, for things to sink in - I ... don't ... take ... photos ... ... of anything - my phone has an empty gallery, effectively - I only take a photo of something, if I really, really, really have to ...

Now, we'll see how many minutes this can last in people's memories ... this time.

And yet yesterday you said you would be willing to share photos...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Right, just went out and snapped it,

IMG_20200821_102710.thumb.jpg.888590db2b7229e0ac66d693e1600ddf.jpg

You lucky things, it's even time stamped, by what's on the telly ... now, everyone can go back to their kennels, 🙃.

Good on ya, Frank! 👍

Wow, you weren't joking about the piles of papers on the speakers. Do they really go to the ceiling?

35 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What disturbs people is that I'm talking about the same listening experience that nearly everyone has had at one time or another - where a rig gets into the 'zone' and produces totally enchanting SQ ... but I also happen to have spent a lot of energy working out ways of getting this to trigger; it becomes an engineering exercise to make happen. People don't want to hear this ... it has to be something that appears magically, like an apparition from Disneyland; preferably after lots and lots of money is thrown at it ... folks, it doesn't have to be that way, 😉.

If folks are truly this stuck in their ways, what value do your posts provide? Don't you have better uses of your time and energy?

Just now, gmgraves said:

Well, I’ve been gone from this thread for almost a month. Just checked back to see if Frank was still babbling-on about his delusions regarding getting high-end results from mid-Fi (or worse) gear and concert hall realism from unlistenably poor recordings and got sucked in again!

Press the red button at the top of the page. You'll thank me later.

949422734_ScreenShot2020-08-25at5_23_52PM.thumb.png.f5772b28d461366fc175a327d75c3f80.png

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Another giveaway that the Kii designers don't understand what's important, from here,

These are precisely the gains that occur when speaker cabinets are better stabilised - but the designers of the Kii units don't seem to appreciate this.

I wonder what the Australian equivalent to "Armchair Quarterback" is...

70052-front__22870.1484259828_850_1275.thumb.jpg.5a1a6b386434379fdcd40a30a531aa6e.jpg 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just to explain how I interpret what Ray is saying here - 180 degrees is the vertical plane through the speakers being the dividing layer between your listening environment, and the recording event. Or, consider hanging a curtain full width across the room, from the ceiling to the floor - which just touches the front of the speakers ... everything on the recording occurs in another space, on the other side of this curtain.

360 wraparound means that the sound on the other side of that curtain bounces off everything in "your world" - and fully makes sense as being connected to the reproduced sounds ... a sense being completely immersed in the sound space being generated from the recording occurs - the room you're actually in "no longer exists".

616a20920751a617_twz_sp_hero_landscape.thumb.jpg.bf6f15a1c791029534e2e0bfdbb1ffd9.jpg

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The laws of physics don't dictate how the human mind can subjectively interpret the data it receives - a convincing illusion relies on the brain "deceiving itself"; and doing it in such a manner that even conscious, rational awareness that a trick is being played on it, doesn't make the illusion go away ... again, because this happens but rarely in the auditory world, it's easy for people to pooh-pooh that it can happen; but there are a vast array of visual tricks, found in plenty of textbooks, etc, that demonstrate how us humans interpret what we sense, when the data is of the right order.

I was very fortunate that the the setup I had 30 years ago was so precisely on the edge, that it could slip between a convincing illusion, and just normal stereo presentation, at will. I could repeat the switching between the two states as often as I liked; which meant I had plenty of time to investigate how it manifested - a very key difference was the level of visibility of the speakers; with the illusion in place, my brain refused to acknowledge that the speaker driver mere inches away from my face, with eyes open, was the  source of any sound; when the illusion collapsed, I could pick where a speaker was, with my eyes closed, on the other side of the room ... there was a dramatic change in how my mind dealt with the data coming in.

Getting good hifi is about exploiting this - knowing that this is possible makes it much easier to evolve a rig in the right direction ... @ray-dude is doing precisely this, and so reaps the rewards of making good moves ...

Ooh
You can dance
You can jive
Having the time of your life
Ooh, see that girl
Watch that scene
Digging the dancing queen

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Science and engineering have a long, long history of those at the top of the current order dictating what is possible, and what is impossible ... which is why I mentioned SpaceX. NASA being the big boys in the game declared that certain technical approaches "were impossible!" - and Elon did the finger sign at them ... and mankind moves on ... 😉.