IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

20 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think what you are missing here is how MQA is trying to create an ecosystem of players in hirez.

You mean that hasn't existed for the past decade or so ? I mean, my circa 2007 car radio plays 24/192 FLAC.

20 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

The premium allows the systemn to work by creating financial incentives to do it.

If it does, show us the numbers.

3 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

But in fact, we are not seeing that.  HDTracks and SuperHirez continue to add tracks.  Qobuz is having a great launch judging from the Rocky Mountain Audio Show.  Hirez just keeps coming.

I'm sorry to go below the belt with this one, but I'm starting to understand why South Africa barred McKinsey.

21 minutes ago, Hifi Bob said:

Indeed, it’s far from rare: corporation/company sends blogger a cease & desist letter and given the choice of spending potentially huge amounts of time/money on lawyers, down comes the ‘offending’ blog entry—immediately.

Would you really want to risk getting into SLAPP litigation with a highly educated individual whose hobby is buying stuff ? What if discovery forced you to back your claims up, and that they were found to be spurious ?

7 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

My understanding is that several conversations are going on and they are making progress.  We will see what happens.

If I'm not mistaken, the MQA guys have been saying that for a while now (it was in an end-of-year shareholder report type thing in 2016 IIRC). Of course, that stuff takes time, but because it's been used as a carrot to the believers for so long, unless this is something you're specifically NOT sourcing from people on the MQA payroll...

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

That was the thrust of a presentation I gave to Stereophile's then-owner's senior management in 2005.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

To your credit, I'm absolutely awed at the threat to the consumer a trade publication with a pithy print circulation, mostly run and staffed by a group of journalistic putterers, can be to consumers. It's quite eye-opening as to the importance both of consumer advocacy and journalism ethics boards, as well as to the relative passivity of consumers (then again, there's no profit to be made in MQA giving people cancer, and the costs look like they'll be hidden, so the stakes aren't exactly high enough for the general public to care).

• 2 weeks later...