IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

On 12/8/2018 at 1:49 AM, quanghuy147 said:

Regarding the Cisco switch. Does it have fan on it? Does it make noise? Do you mean you use its POE feature of the switch to power the Raspberry?

In case of the Signature , it has its own clean power source. Can using clean power for Pi can improve the sound further?

Sorry for being answering so late...

The Cisco 2960 doesn't have a fan, at least those units with low numbers of network ports. I have one with 8 ports and it definitively has no fan. It doesn't have a POE feature at all – I think there is a related unit which has – so no, I don't use it (and actually cannot use it and even would not want to use it) to power the Pi. I have a separate LPSU with two rails to power clean and dirty side of Digione signature.

This forum has been so good that I feel free to ask a really DUMB question -

I wanted to upgrade the Signature power supply cables and ordered some from Gent audio. Unfortunately, the ones that I ordered have a USB C connector on one end and a MALE Oyaide plug on the other. The cables that come with the Signature have a female end which connects to the male connector (either from the supplied power supply or the battery pack). Did I order the wrong cable or do I need an adaptor?

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

6 hours ago, rruffin said:

I wanted to upgrade the Signature power supply cables and ordered some from Gent audio. Unfortunately, the ones that I ordered have a USB C connector on one end and a MALE Oyaide plug on the other. The cables that come with the Signature have a female end which connects to the male connector (either from the supplied power supply or the battery pack). Did I order the wrong cable or do I need an adaptor?

Hi, could you please provide a link for this cable.

Thanks

Well after a lot of trial and troubleshooting over the weekend, it has been determined that the Signature board in my new D1S Player is no good.  I have been able to get sound out of the onboard RPi headphone jack, but no dice with the Signature.  I even went out and purchased a microSD card reader/writer and new card and flashed a new Moode program to make sure it wasn’t a corrupt Moode file, but it performed exactly as the original.  

I’m waiting on Allo to provide me with next steps.  As I am in the states, I’m really hoping they’ll send me a new one with a return label for this one, otherwise who knows how long I’ll be without the device that I paid for in mid-December if I have to send this one back first.  If this is not what they are prepared to do, then I may just purchase a new one and have them credit me back once this one gets back to them.

10 hours ago, rruffin said:

The answer depends on your PSU. I have bought 2 Ghent Audio cables with USB C connector at one end and male Oyaide connector (2,5mm and 2,1mm) at the other end and they are perfect to connect directly to JS-2 (2,5mm) and to LPS-1.2 (2,1mm).

5 hours ago, Emcee said:

Hi, could you please provide a link for this cable.

Thanks

https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc29.html

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

The answer depends on your PSU.

Allo provided a USB-C to female so that their power supply (male) could connect. My battery pack came with a male connector, so it fit with the provided cable. Ghentaudio did not offer a USB-C to female DC. Maybe most folks who upgraded their cable are using LPS or other devices that have a female connection. I ordered a gender change adapter from Amazon or eBay today.

1 hour ago, rruffin said:

Allo provided a USB-C to female so that their power supply (male) could connect. My battery pack came with a male connector, so it fit with the provided cable. Ghentaudio did not offer a USB-C to female DC. Maybe most folks who upgraded their cable are using LPS or other devices that have a female connection. I ordered a gender change adapter from Amazon or eBay today.

I frankly do not see why you want to replace the Allo USB-C to 2.5mm barrel female cables if these fit your PSU. But if you want to do so, you could ask Ghent to make you USB-C to 2.5mm barrel female cables. Something like

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc26.html

with USC-C instead of male Oyaide. My reason for buying the Ghent cable was to get rid of adaptors and have a straight connection from the PSU to the Signature. 

9 hours ago, nbpf said:

My reason for buying the Ghent cable was to get rid of adaptors and have a straight connection from the PSU to the Signature. 

Yep, that was my idea, but I had not thought the configuration through. Just ordered some adapters ($2), so will check them out, but still may ask Ghent to make 'em. One of the advantages of using an inexpensive piece of equipment is that you have extra resources for tweaking...

On 1/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, wanta911 said:

Well I've had my new 5V Studer LPS for a few days now. Unfortunately I can't report on how it goes with the DS because I first tried it on my Chord Qutest DAC and it sounds SO good that I don't want to change it. The clean side of the DS is already getting the Ultracap 1.2 anyway.

That’s very selfish, surely you need to be thinking of us rather than enjoying your lovely system😉

I now have a fully operational DS, a noticeable cleaner, more extended presentation compared to my previous Pi/Kali set up. 

Using batteries at the moment on the clean side, with the Allo PS on the dirty. Would opt for something like the Studer if worthwhile. The fun begins trying power options, but very pleased with the sound quality of the DS, and I would have been the first to complain after receiving a faulty unit first time round. Worth the patience! 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, 01svtL said:

Well after a lot of trial and troubleshooting over the weekend, it has been determined that the Signature board in my new D1S Player is no good.  I have been able to get sound out of the onboard RPi headphone jack, but no dice with the Signature.  I even went out and purchased a microSD card reader/writer and new card and flashed a new Moode program to make sure it wasn’t a corrupt Moode file, but it performed exactly as the original.  

I’m waiting on Allo to provide me with next steps.  As I am in the states, I’m really hoping they’ll send me a new one with a return label for this one, otherwise who knows how long I’ll be without the device that I paid for in mid-December if I have to send this one back first.  If this is not what they are prepared to do, then I may just purchase a new one and have them credit me back once this one gets back to them.

I had the same problem. Ordered from Audiophonics in France. Defective DS board, so I returned. Within a few days I had a the unit back, working, pretty sure it is the same one, not a replacement. 

Annoying with regard to Allo QC, but worth the wait. 

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

8 hours ago, wanta911 said:

Well I've had my new 5V Studer LPS for a few days now. Unfortunately I can't report on how it goes with the DS because I first tried it on my Chord Qutest DAC and it sounds SO good that I don't want to change it. The clean side of the DS is already getting the Ultracap 1.2 anyway.

Looks like that LPS is no longer available from that supplier!

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

5 hours ago, Spenagio said:

I had the same problem. Ordered from Audiophonics in France. Defective DS board, so I returned. Within a few days I had a the unit back, working, pretty sure it is the same one, not a replacement. 

Annoying with regard to Allo QC, but worth the wait. 

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

While I am glad that I am not the only one who's had the problem as it means I probably did all I could to troubleshoot the problem, it is concerning that the problem exists with at least a bit of prevalence - it's not like they are selling more than they can make, so there aren't hundreds of perfectly functioning units out there already making our DOA units a fraction of a percent.  Allo told me they had another customer with the same problem recently.  Could have been you, I suppose.

That said, it looks like they are going to take care of me.  After I followed up with a second action request, they responded that they would get a new unit sent out to me on Monday (today) along with a return label to send my current unit back to them.  They offered this solution after I told them I didn't want to have to send mine back first and wait on another since I am in the states, and it would likely mean being without my purchase for several weeks if not a month or longer.  That said, it is after 9pm over there right now, I believe, and I did not receive an email or any kind of notification letting me know they got it sent off, so we'll see.

Got my DS today. It worked right out of the box.  Initial impressions are that it is a big improvement over the Chromecast Audio.  Soundstage size and instrument separation are on another level.  Significantly more low-level details can be heard as a result.  I can't believe I have lived without a proper source for such a long time.

Currently my unit is powered with an UpTone LPS-1 on the clean side.  Audio is streamed from Tidal via LMS.  It is connected via coax to the DAC of my Rotel RA-1592. All generic cables.

-Reverso

On 1/6/2019 at 2:59 PM, wanta911 said:

Yeah - I ordered a 5V one yesterday based on a recommendation I saw on another thread here where they tested a heap of other LPSs including some well known more expensive ones and this unit came out on top.....I can't remember the thread title or the poster 🙄

I have four 5V applications that are already using LPS but I am curious in comparing this (cheap) one to my current units.

Have you had chance to compare this relatively cheap LPS against any of your others? Thinking of ordering if it is likely to outperform the batteries I am currently using. I am in the UK, going to check if they will ship here.

4 hours ago, Spenagio said:

Have you had chance to compare this relatively cheap LPS against any of your others? Thinking of ordering if it is likely to outperform the batteries I am currently using. I am in the UK, going to check if they will ship here.

Everyone to their own preferences, and what sounds great to some people doesn’t necessarily to others, etc ...

Buuuut batteries, especially IME if combined with Supercaps and a Superreg, can be awfully difficult - some would say almost impossible - to beat. (Obviously, some people will say otherwise, too)

Adding one of these 

tps://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-supply-kits/wondom-bcpb2-battery-bms-power-supply-charger-module-lithium-18650-with-protections-p-13079.html

neatly gets around most of the hassles of 18650 batteries.

Just a thought FWIW 😁

29 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Everyone to their own preferences, and what sounds great to some people doesn’t necessarily to others, etc ...

Buuuut batteries, especially IME if combined with Supercaps and a Superreg, can be awfully difficult - some would say almost impossible - to beat. (Obviously, some people will say otherwise, too)

Adding one of these 

tps://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-supply-kits/wondom-bcpb2-battery-bms-power-supply-charger-module-lithium-18650-with-protections-p-13079.html

neatly gets around most of the hassles of 18650 batteries.

Just a thought FWIW 😁

If I'm understanding correctly, can this be connected to a 15-24v adapter all the time and the DigiOne would draw from the batteries? If so then that does indeed remove the hassles!

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

1 hour ago, dmormerod said:

If I'm understanding correctly, can this be connected to a 15-24v adapter all the time and the DigiOne would draw from the batteries? If so then that does indeed remove the hassles!

I don’t know for sure as I haven’t tried exactly this, and am working away for a bit so won’t be able to for a little while.

What I have tried was measuring the voltage whilst I was top-up charging the batteries, and I was getting ~12.whatever volts from the ‘wondom’ (😄) and ~5.whatever volts from the superreg output.

This was varying a little bit more than usual however (normally I get an absolutely rock-‘solid and stable’ (sorry, couldn’t help the May reference there ... 🙄) 5v from the superreg).

So based on that I think you should be able to play the Signature as you describe (plenty of people do seem to do this using BMS’s, and a number report no audible difference) but I suspect the absolute performance zenith is likely to be achieved when you switch the 15-24v adapter off (which is how I use mine).

This has been sounding so good that I now have an exactly similar arrangement for the MinDSP 22D which performs the Dirac impulse room correction, and am working on one for the Pi, (ie ‘the dirty side) too 😁 where it seems attention to power does make a significant difference.

Hope that helps?

16 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

I don’t know for sure as I haven’t tried exactly this, and am working away for a bit so won’t be able to for a little while.

What I have tried was measuring the voltage whilst I was top-up charging the batteries, and I was getting ~12.whatever volts from the ‘wondom’ (😄) and ~5.whatever volts from the superreg output.

This was varying a little bit more than usual however (normally I get an absolutely rock-‘solid and stable’ (sorry, couldn’t help the May reference there ... 🙄) 5v from the superreg).

So based on that I think you should be able to play the Signature as you describe (plenty of people do seem to do this using BMS’s, and a number report no audible difference) but I suspect the absolute performance zenith is likely to be achieved when you switch the 15-24v adapter off (which is how I use mine).

This has been sounding so good that I now have an exactly similar arrangement for the MinDSP 22D which performs the Dirac impulse room correction, and am working on one for the Pi, (ie ‘the dirty side) too 😁 where it seems attention to power does make a significant difference.

Hope that helps?

Ahh ok, so you leave the 24v plugged in to make sure it's fully charged and then switch off (or unplug) the 24v when playing? I like that idea!

Exactly that, and the wondom manages any overcharging or imbalance between cells as the batteries age, which has always bothered me just a little bit with the basic raw battery packs like Allo’s. 😁  

A big ‘well done’ to the designer. 👍

The only (really, really tiny) complaint I have is that whilst there are separate LED’s for the two battery states of charging and charged, it would have been even nicer if they’d been different colours. Still, that should be easily fixable if it’s bothersome...