IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

21 hours ago, 01svtL said:

So when you flip the power button, it all gets turned on at the same time right? Aren’t we supposed to power the clean side first?

Can you please tell me if that bottom plug is the clean side?  When I plug power to that port, no lights come on in the unit. 

I forgot to answer your second question - Yes in the picture the bottom plug (the one closest to the front of the case) is the clean side. If you look at the circuit board, it is labeled "Clean Power."

1 hour ago, InfinitelyBaffled said:

I forgot to answer your second question - Yes in the picture the bottom plug (the one closest to the front of the case) is the clean side. If you look at the circuit board, it is labeled "Clean Power."

Ah ok.  Mine came as a a player, so I hadn’t had a look at the board itself.  I just wanted to be sure I had it right. 

Before you built the case for it, did listen to it first?  When you connected power first to the clean side, did any lights come on anywhere on either of the two boards?

1 hour ago, 01svtL said:

Ah ok.  Mine came as a a player, so I hadn’t had a look at the board itself.  I just wanted to be sure I had it right. 

Before you built the case for it, did listen to it first?  When you connected power first to the clean side, did any lights come on anywhere on either of the two boards?

There is a green led light on the Digione board. If I recall correctly, it comes on when you power the clean side. For sure it should be on when you power up everything. However it can be disabled by the removal of one jumper (which I have now done). I got the Digione card separately, so it might be that the player has the led jumper disconnected from the beginning..

3 minutes ago, sihctr said:

There is a green led light on the Digione board. If I recall correctly, it comes on when you power the clean side. For sure it should be on when you power up everything. However it can be disabled by the removal of one jumper (which I have now done). I got the Digione card separately, so it might be that the player has the led jumper disconnected from the beginning..

Thanks for the reply.  Anyone in here that also purchased a Player, can you confirm?  I never saw a light come on with mine, which is why I'm wondering if this is why I never got sound to play through D1S board.  I could only get sound out of the RPi headphone jack.  It wasn't until I connected the right side (dirty) that I saw any lights.

1 hour ago, 01svtL said:

Thanks for the reply.  Anyone in here that also purchased a Player, can you confirm?  I never saw a light come on with mine, which is why I'm wondering if this is why I never got sound to play through D1S board.  I could only get sound out of the RPi headphone jack.  It wasn't until I connected the right side (dirty) that I saw any lights.

No lights on my Digione Sig board when only Clean Power is connected as well. Took a couple of reboots before I managed to get music playing.

10 hours ago, 01svtL said:

You should have one green LED on the middle board that is lit from the moment it gets power and also a green and red LED on the Pi. The red LED on the Pi should be constantly lit, if it is blinking, it is not getting enough power. The green LED on the Pi may blink intermittently, especially when booting. This is for the B+ board. 

I am trying Moode this weekend. Everything works fine except that I can't see my external hard drive in Moode via http://moode.local

I searched on website for solutions and managed to SSH to RPI, I can see the external hard drive in Terminal via SSH but can't see it in Moode. Please check the attached for the output of the commands, please note the name of the drive is Mira. 

Any help appreciated!

Moode.png

Hi

If I power the pi through it's normal mini-usb connection then the red led comes on and stays on through the boot process.  If I power it via the dirty side of the DigiOne Signature then the red led comes on for a few seconds then goes off.  The pi boots OK and seems to work normally.  Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks

Alan

5 hours ago, the_bat said:

Hi

If I power the pi through it's normal mini-usb connection then the red led comes on and stays on through the boot process.  If I power it via the dirty side of the DigiOne Signature then the red led comes on for a few seconds then goes off.  The pi boots OK and seems to work normally.  Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks

Alan

I think it depends on the version of the board. On the 3B+, it is supposed to stay lit. If if goes out, it supposedly means the voltage has dropped below the minimum 4.63v threshold.  Do you have USB devices connected to the Pi? 

Thanks.  The only thing connected to the Pi is the DigiOne Signature.

Allo support - this would seem to imply that the dirty side supply on the DigiOne Signature isn't feeding quite enough voltage down to the Pi.  If so, is that a fault with this particular board?  

If it’s working and sounds good I really wouldn’t be concerned.

Mine (3B+) currently fed a tiny bit over 5v into the dirty side on the Signature seems to flicker red, but it always works and sounds great.

Maybe when I get some spare time at home to set up a battery supply regulated to 5.25v it’ll not flicker red, but if it’s working ok I really wouldn’t be concerned.

...and it returns 0x0 if the pi is directly powered confirming that it isn't being throttled.

The conclusion would seem to be that either the dirty side of my DigiOne Signature is pulling sufficient current to drop the voltage to the pi down below the threshold, or it's regulating the voltage to too low a level.  Either case would appear to be a fault.

Also, if I look at the cpufreq graphs using the Netstat included in the Dietpi version, all four cores seem to cycle between 700 and 1400 MHz on a 3 second (approx) cycle.  Is this normal?

Would someone from Allo care to comment?

Alan

@the_bat, all: a few pages ago, I have explained how a loose connection between the two boards of the DigiOne Signature can lead to under voltages and blinking red led. To the best of my knowledge, the safest way to detect under voltages at the system level is to look at the output of dmesg, again, see my previous posts. It is normal for CPU cores to scale the CPU frequency if the governor is 'ondemand'. This is a bad practice for dedicated audio servers and renderers: you should probably set something like 

force_turbo=1     # keep the max CPU freq constant (no ondemand governor)
arm_freq=1000     # set the max CPU freq, default 1400
sdram_freq=400    # set the max RAM freq, default  500

in your /boot/config.txt file.

6 hours ago, nbpf said:

@the_bat, all: a few pages ago, I have explained how a loose connection between the two boards of the DigiOne Signature can lead to under voltages and blinking red led. To the best of my knowledge, the safest way to detect under voltages at the system level is to look at the output of dmesg, again, see my previous posts. It is normal for CPU cores to scale the CPU frequency if the governor is 'ondemand'. This is a bad practice for dedicated audio servers and renderers: you should probably set something like 

force_turbo=1     # keep the max CPU freq constant (no ondemand governor)
arm_freq=1000     # set the max CPU freq, default 1400
sdram_freq=400    # set the max RAM freq, default  500

in your /boot/config.txt file.

That's excellent information thanks. Personally I don't know how to "set"" things in my /boot/config.txt file. I'll have a go but if it's a two line explanation and there are others here dipping their toes in, could you?

Thanks - as Tintinabulam says, excellent information.

In my case, dmesg shows the under-voltage message at around two seconds into the boot process and there's never a voltage restored partner.

I'm a bit loth to disassemble/reassemble a I bought it as a Digione player and wouldn't want to void any warranty if Allo accept it's faulty and accept a return.

Thanks again

Alan

4 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

That's excellent information thanks. Personally I don't know how to "set"" things in my /boot/config.txt file. I'll have a go but if it's a two line explanation and there are others here dipping their toes in, could you?

If there is a /boot/config.txt file in your distribution, just open the file in an editor and add the three lines, e.g., at the end of the file. Make a copy of the original file before doing so. This will allow you to easily revert to the original setup if you mess up things.  

On 2/8/2019 at 7:53 PM, Tintinabulum said:

I'll have a go in due course, unfortunately it's just broken... oops. The clean power socket parted from the board. I'm not a rough guy...

Sorry to hear that! I am sure that Allo will replace the board. They should really consider making a revision of the DigiOne Signature design. A larger single board in a suitable metal case with a DC barrel connectors for the clean and the dirty side and a GPIO ribbon cable to connect to a Raspberry Pi seems an obvious approach. There is really no reason to stack multiple boards on the top of a RPi and a case with a reasonable thickness and a good fit would prevent DC connectors to fall apart. Just my two cents, of course.     

On 2/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, the_bat said:

Thanks - as Tintinabulam says, excellent information.

In my case, dmesg shows the under-voltage message at around two seconds into the boot process and there's never a voltage restored partner.

I'm a bit loth to disassemble/reassemble a I bought it as a Digione player and wouldn't want to void any warranty if Allo accept it's faulty and accept a return.

Thanks again

Alan

You do not need to take the two boards apart, although doing so is not problematic in any way and should not void the warranty. Just make sure that there is no gap between the lower and the upper part of the 8pins GPIO connector that connects the two boards. If the 4 spacers between the two boards are too long or if the 4 screws are not tightened, the contact between the boards can be poor and cause under-voltage exceptions. This was the case in my device, as I have reported some pages ago. Good luck, nbpf 

After owning for a while, getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the DS, some things about the design have informed my use habits, and I am sure not by accident on Allo’s part. The two power inputs are far more easily used on a daily basis by disconnecting/connecting at the supplied adapters, rather than direct to the usb board inputs.

No doubt this was to save constant wear and tear on the less than robust, and rather fiddly usb inputs.

I have been very impressed with the sound via batteries, and found it to be less of an inconvenience than anticipated. 

My only gripe is the sample rate crackle that sounds like my speakers are going to blow when using Roon. I have only got over this by avoiding changing sample rates from track to track, hardly convenient. I do wonder if it is related to power supply on the dirty side, I am going to try a conditioner in the chain to see if it sorts.

I’m not entirely sure that a power conditioner on the dirty side supply will necessarily cure the sample rate crackle (though you never know, I guess 🤞), but something like a DC iPurifier 2 will improve the sound quality IME, and more than one will improve it even more. 😀

Thanks again nbpf.  I've checked very carefully and the two halves of the 8 pin GPIO connector are fully together.  Also, the fault is consistent - the red led goes off around 2 seconds into the boot process, flashes once briefly  then stays off.  There's only one under-voltage alert in the dimes log, always at the same place.

I think the time has come to raise it as a fault with Allo, so I've sent them a message via this board.  Hopefully they'll pick it up on Monday morning.