IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

I used some super regs from (from memory) Denmark, with Samsung batteries.

To my ears, regulated supplies generally give a somewhat better sense of timing than unregulated ones. Though some folks prefer the increased sense of dynamics that unregulated supplies can sometimes seem to give, and can find regulated supplies too ‘tight’ sounding. As usual, horses for courses, and all that.

as to using the iFi device, whilst regulators improve the sound (to my ears) timing-wise, they generate noise, and that seems to mask some fine detail and ambience.

The iFi devices crush that noise, revealing the detail and ambience, but without impeding the improved timing. So to my ears and audio preferences (PRaT is king in this living room 😄) it’s a good move.

If timing isn’t so important I probably wouldn’t bother.

hope that helps.

29 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

I have tried the Shanti with 1, 2 and 3 iFi iPurifiers.

I found one iPurifier made the sound more relaxed, and improved fine detail and ambience, and moreso when 2 were added together. 3 in series improved still further, but only marginally.

however, like all things, whether that sounds good to us as individuals is a very personal thing. You could say the iPurifiers can also make the sound ‘more boring’, which they (arguably) did to a point in my system; but then that’s often the effect of reducing distortion.

Audio FX units (think the ‘classic’ Aphex Aural Exciter type of thing) can deliberately add distortion to make things sound ... more exciting.

FWIW the effect of an iPurifier is in many cases easily seen on an oscilloscope, it seems it’s not just snake oil ... 😀

I am going to order the iFi for DC power supplies.

If I understand you correctly, you use 2 iFi consecuitvely like this? Thank you!

Shanti --> iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filter/Conditioner for DC Power Supplies --> iFi DC iPurifier2 Active Audio Noise Filter/Conditioner for DC Power Supplies --> Allo's clean side. 

Yes indeed, they v conveniently just plug into one another. 

And if you get it / them from a retailer where you can easily return them, just in case you don’t find an improvement (everyone’s system, electricity supply, musical preferences and hearing is different, always part of the fun / frustration with Hi-Fi ... 🤔) there’s no risk. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, RX8R3ROD said:

And if you get it / them from a retailer where you can easily return them, just in case you don’t find an improvement (everyone’s system, electricity supply, musical preferences and hearing is different, always part of the fun / frustration with Hi-Fi ... 🤔) there’s no risk. 👍🏻

I bought one from Amazon. It will arrive this Saturday. If it works for my system, I will buy another one. 

I will you posted.

Thank you.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, quanghuy147 said:

After almost a year of using Shanti with Digione Signature. I now try the battery pack for Clean Power and Shanti for Dirty Power on Digione Signature. 

The result is mind-blowing, the dynamics and the speed of the sound have improved dramatically, the background is darker. However, the bass and mid bass are leaner and lose impact compared to when using powers from Shanti for both Clean and Dirty Power on Digione Signature. 

Could someone explain and help me to get the best of 2 worlds?

Silly me! I made a basic mistake. I found the reason why when I switched to battery pack, everything is faster but the bass decrease, the soundstage and ambiance collapsed. 

The reason is I used thin power cable for amp (power consumption rated at 500w), which doesn't provide a big enough current. Yesterday, I switched to a bigger one (this power cord is used for Cisco switches and routers). Now I get the best of 2 worlds: dynamics, low noise, tight and punchy bass, dark background.

Silly me!

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

On 10/22/2020 at 9:33 PM, RX8R3ROD said:

I tested the iFi today with both Shanti and battery pack: 

-with battery pack: The background is super dark. Bass is very tight. Female vocal is a little bit sharp. Every note is played carefully. I can feel tiny nuances easily. Musical instrument are better separated. 

-with Shanti: the background is less dark. Bass it not as tight but more richer and has more body. Soundstage is bigger. Image is less precise than with battery pack. However, I would say iFi with Shanti is more musical in my system. 

Personally, I prefer Shanti with Ifi. I will enjoy it for a while and when I need to upgrade, I will try the 2nd iFi. 

Thank you everyone, especially, RX8R3RODfor introducing this iFi.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, scolopender said:

Anyone who use shairport-sync with the DigiOne that could post the content of their /etc/shairport-sync.conf file? Having issues with getting audio out so just curious to see how the config looks like for a setup that works.

Turns out it was the source device that causes the issues in my case; switched over to using a laptop instead of a mobile device and it all works as expected, so my config file isn't the issue. But if anyone got shairport-sync running on a rpi and are able to stream music from an android device I'm still interested in seeing how the config looks like.

10 minutes ago, scolopender said:

Turns out it was the source device that causes the issues in my case; switched over to using a laptop instead of a mobile device and it all works as expected, so my config file isn't the issue. But if anyone got shairport-sync running on a rpi and are able to stream music from an android device I'm still interested in seeing how the config looks like.

I use MoOde and airplay works fine for me, although I’m not sure if I’ve used it with android, only iPads and an iMac. The config is mostly commented out, and here is what it looks like with the comments stripped:

pi@bw-mm1:/etc $ cat shairport-sync.conf | grep -v '//'

general =
{

};

sessioncontrol =
{

allow_session_interruption = "no";
session_timeout = 120;
};

alsa =
{
};

sndio =
{
};

pa =
{
};

jack =
{
};

pipe =
{
};

dsp =
{

};

metadata =
{
};

mqtt =
{
}

diagnostics =
{

};

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

7 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

I use MoOde and airplay works fine for me, although I’m not sure if I’ve used it with android, only iPads and an iMac. The config is mostly commented out, and here is what it looks like with the comments stripped:

Thanks for the input, seems like this might just be related the Android device and not having much to do with shairport-sync at all then. Hopefully someone who uses it/have used it with an Android phone can chime in.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone! *new member* 🙂

I had a question, pretty much already answered after reading this thread:
It is safety to use 3.7V Li-ion Batteries (8.2V) on the clean side? - now I know: Yes is safe.

Haven't tried yet, but I would like to do my bit with the items I have at hand.

Tried:
Clean Side = Studer900 LPS, OG iPad Charger, PowerBank (fail cuts-off)
Dirty Side = RBP OG power supply, OG iPad Charger, ifi Power X 5V/3A, PowerBank.

So far, my best combo is:
Clean Side = ifi Power X (Ver 2)
Dirty Side = Duracell PowerBank.

Studer900 LPS 5V/2.5A built in China, which is a very afforable LPS with a nice black background, V shape with dense bass and crunchy treble, pretty good for a $45.

My reference:
My other Top HAT is a PI2AES which I it uses a SBooster BOTW 24V LPS, sound presentation is quite different.

I tried DigiOne (no signature), loved it got it for a friend and got another for me, for my speaker setup. I was so pleased with its performance and very curious to tried DigiOne Signature, did it LOVED IT!, its timbre, tonal presentation is a delight, looking forward to get it a nice LPS too.

Looking forward to paticipate on the community. Thanks for your time