IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

9 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

So I've installed Volumio and configured everything needed. But,

- When I try to play internet radio, it seems to be playing but I cannot hear anything.

- I signed up and paid for myVolumio, which is supposed to have native TIDAL support. But where is the download link? It's supposed to be a separate image from normal Volumio.

- I also attached a usb drive to DigiOne to try and play Something, but I cannot find the USB drive anywhere in the web UI. This is pretty frustrating..

Have you installed the SqueezeLite player?

No player = no sound

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

31 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Have you installed the SqueezeLite player?

No player = no sound

I didnt. But now I have squeezelite/all radio plugin/Tidal installed and still no sound. lol. maybe time to call it a day.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

Setup #2: ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ???

A couple of things I dont understand. Running Volumio,

- I connected a USB drive to the DigiOne Sig and just wanted to play something/anything for troubleshooting. But nowhere in UI can I find the USB drive.

- I connected the DigiOne to an integrated amp which has DAC and amp. I dont hear anything and suspect my playback setting is wrong. Under settings -> Audio Output, I currently have output device as DigiOne, I2S DAC on, DAC model Allo DigiOne. BUT, the DigiOne is not a DAC, is it? I'm connecting to an external DAC/amp which I think is not an I2S DAC. So what setting should I use?

Allo installation guide says "Step 4 : To play audio through the I2S dac connected, go to Playback Options in Volumio. Make sure you enable I2S DAC, then select Digione from the drop down menu." So do I have to have an I2S DAC, and how do I know if my DAC is I2S?

This is really poor documentation.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

My DigiOne Signature Player is now toast! 

I accidentally plugged the battery pack (that I usually use for the clean side) into the dirty side. Heard a burning sound and I smelt burning. Unplugged quickly. After letting the unit rest, I plugged in the battery pack for the clean side and the wall wart to the dirty side. The green lights and red light started flashing, but the unit did not start up.

Does this make sense? 

If not, then the only other thing done differently this time - I use an adapter (from the iFi 5v) to connect the battery pack to the cable supplied by Allo (plugged into the clean side). The adapter usually is connected to the battery pack. This time, the adapter was in the Allo cable (plugged into the clean side) and I plugged in the battery pack into the non-adapter cable going into the dirty side. 

I am kinda in shock, so I may not be reporting this accurately.

I sent a message to allo.

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

I still dont understand this: the clean board claims to use 5V but how do 2X3.7 V 18650 work with the board? Maybe it works in 5 ~ 7V range and the dirty board has a limited working voltage range?

9 hours ago, Shangri-La said:

A couple of things I dont understand. Running Volumio,

- I connected a USB drive to the DigiOne Sig and just wanted to play something/anything for troubleshooting. But nowhere in UI can I find the USB drive.

- I connected the DigiOne to an integrated amp which has DAC and amp. I dont hear anything and suspect my playback setting is wrong. Under settings -> Audio Output, I currently have output device as DigiOne, I2S DAC on, DAC model Allo DigiOne. BUT, the DigiOne is not a DAC, is it? I'm connecting to an external DAC/amp which I think is not an I2S DAC. So what setting should I use?

Allo installation guide says "Step 4 : To play audio through the I2S dac connected, go to Playback Options in Volumio. Make sure you enable I2S DAC, then select Digione from the drop down menu." So do I have to have an I2S DAC, and how do I know if my DAC is I2S?

This is really poor documentation.

Digione is not a DAC but uses i2s bus. Please enable i2s and chose Digione Signature

1 hour ago, Shangri-La said:

I still dont understand this: the clean board claims to use 5V but how do 2X3.7 V 18650 work with the board? Maybe it works in 5 ~ 7V range and the dirty board has a limited working voltage range?

That is precisely how I understand it, the clean side takes up to about 8.5 volts or so (18650 batteries freshly charged can be 4.2 volts) and has good voltage regulation.

My understanding is that the dirty side (Raspberry Pi) has less ‘flexibility’ on input voltage.

10 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Dirty side is cleaned with inductor and capacitors. No voltage regulation apart from RPI regulation

If I understand correctly, the dirty side is rated 5v/3A. 

By how much can one exceed the spec before toasting the RI? Most PSU are not precise, with +/- % 7 or so.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

2 hours ago, rruffin said:

My DigiOne Signature Player is now toast! 

I accidentally plugged the battery pack (that I usually use for the clean side) into the dirty side. Heard a burning sound and I smelt burning. Unplugged quickly. After letting the unit rest, I plugged in the battery pack for the clean side and the wall wart to the dirty side. The green lights and red light started flashing, but the unit did not start up.

Does this make sense? 

If not, then the only other thing done differently this time - I use an adapter (from the iFi 5v) to connect the battery pack to the cable supplied by Allo (plugged into the clean side). The adapter usually is connected to the battery pack. This time, the adapter was in the Allo cable (plugged into the clean side) and I plugged in the battery pack into the non-adapter cable going into the dirty side. 

I am kinda in shock, so I may not be reporting this accurately.

I sent a message to allo.

Really sorry to hear about your problem!

I’m sure Allo will reply to you on this.

But if you’ve unfortunately (and many of us have done this sort of thing at least once, ... I fried a bunch of Supercaps last week - Doh! ?) fried anything by accident, I think it’ll just be the Raspberry Pi part of your Signature player, which is easy and much cheaper to replace than your Signature boards.

Maybe there’s a sign here for us all to colour code the inputs from our power supplies?

Hope you can get it sorted quickly! ?

8 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I have set the power supply for the clean side to deliver 5V precisely to avoid mistakes like the one reported. If one powers the clean side with more than 5V, it is probably useful to mark the cables and the Signature inputs to avoid frying the lower board or the RPi.

While I am pleased with the sound quality of the DigiOne Signature, I am not satisfied with its engineering. I had to order special cables from Ghent Audio to avoid using long chains of adapters and I find the USB C connectors of the DS board not very reliable. I frankly do not see the point of using connectors that are designed to support both power supply and data transfer (and, thus, necessarily are a compromise in comparison to connectors that are designed for power supply only) for applications that do not require data transfer and for which the power supply is considered to be critical.

Another  weak point is the connection between the two boards of the DigiOne Signature. With the original spacers and tightened screws, the boards are under stress. With slightly shorter spacers the connection is too loose and leads to frequent undervoltage exceptions.

I wish Allo will improve these shortcomings in a revised DigiOne Signature version with standard 5.5/2.1mm (or 5.5/2.5mm) connectors and a sleek inconspicuous metal case with clear max. voltage markings.  

Throw in an AES/XLR, BNC to tether the internal clock to a 10HZ oscillator, and Chromecast Built-in, and no one can unseat the new "king" ...

Tell me nbpf, could my cut-off problems be hardware related? I only stream off SoundCloud, and every 2nd or more tracks, 20 to 40 minutes in, the music stops. I can immediately start it again. The problem persists across OS: I tried DietPi and Max2Play.  It could be SoundCloud plug in, but no one reports of any such issue.

Stereo

Surround

2 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Throw in an AES/XLR, BNC to tether the internal clock to a 10HZ oscillator, and Chromecast Built-in, and no one can unseat the new "king" ...

Tell me nbpf, could my cut-off problems be hardware related? I only stream off SoundCloud, and every 2nd or more tracks, 20 to 40 minutes in, the music stops. I can immediately start it again. The problem persists across OS: I tried DietPi and Max2Play.  It could be SoundCloud plug in, but no one reports of any such issue.

I am sorry but I have really no experience with SoundCloud. Have you tried other internet streaming services? Have you checked the log files of the plug in and of the OS? Does streaming from LAN sources work flawlessly? One should of course always keep in mind the possibility of hardware problems but I would try to address the above questions before thinking about hardware failures. 

Max2play - Highly Recommend! 

I've been having a problem with SoundCloud that has compelled me to experiment with OS. Before long, I discovered that Max2play delivered an outstanding SQ; head-and-shoulders over DietPi and Volumio.

The technical explanation is beyond me, but the result is bold in my face. Nothing subtle, nothing that requires concentration. In my opinion, every Allo user should take it for a spin.

There's an active developer behind it, and it shows, with a rich UI, packed with options and optimization settings, and relatively easy to navigate. The developer is open for suggestions for improvement, which is always nice.

It takes a second to get the hang of, and some settings are cross referential. I had to install it 3 times before I got it streamlined, but such is life with RPi players--after all, those products are messy kludges, built upon layers of volunteer labor.

Cheers!

Stereo

Surround

Hi all.  I just picked up a DigiOne Signature Player with Moode pre-installed.  That is about as much as I know about my purchase.  My goal was to be able to play my hi-res music files through my home audio system and control it without having to walk over to the source every time I wanted to change the song, pause etc.  After talking with Allo, I was under the impression I could do it all from my iPhone with the DigiOne Sig via the Moode OS.  Now that i look, I don’t even see a Moode app, so i think I’ve made my first mistake.

Second, I have both sides powered, connected to my router via cat6, and coax out to my NAD receiver. I also have all my music on a little flash drive connected to one of the Rpi’s USB ports.  Now what?  I have absolutely no idea what to do now.

2 minutes ago, 01svtL said:

Hi all.  I just picked up a DigiOne Signature Player with Moode pre-installed.  That is about as much as I know about my purchase.  My goal was to be able to play my hi-res music files through my home audio system and control it without having to walk over to the source every time I wanted to change the song, pause etc.  After talking with Allo, I was under the impression I could do it all from my iPhone with the DigiOne Sig via the Moode OS.  Now that i look, I don’t even see a Moode app, so i think I’ve made my first mistake.

Second, I have both sides powered, connected to my router via cat6, and coax out to my NAD receiver. I also have all my music on a little flash drive connected to one of the Rpi’s USB ports.  Now what?  I have absolutely no idea what to do now.

I was in your shoes only a week ago...A lot to learn, but it's worth it.

I know nothing about Moode, but I can give yo a few basic pointers:

1) Make sure LMS, or SqueezeBox server by other name, is installed

2) Install SqueezeLite player

3) Mount your drive via the OS. Make sure the format is  recognized by Linux.

4) Scan the drive and confirm success through the log file

5) Look for an OS app to control LMS. I like Orange Squeeze. You can down load it and get a refund if it doesn't work for your within a short spell.

Now you should be able to play your music.

Each outlined step can be fraught with issues. Take your time, research and be patient. 

Hope that helps.

Stereo

Surround

13 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

I was in your shoes only a week ago...A lot to learn, but it's worth it.

I know nothing about Moode, but I can give yo a few basic pointers:

1) Make sure LMS, or SqueezeBox server by other name, is installed

2) Install SqueezeLite player

3) Mount your drive via the OS. Make sure the format is  recognized by Linux.

4) Scan the drive and confirm success through the log file

5) Look for an OS app to control LMS. I like Orange Squeeze. You can down load it and get a refund if it doesn't work for your within a short spell.

Now you should be able to play your music.

Each outlined step can be fraught with issues. Take your time, research and be patient. 

Hope that helps.

I guess maybe I’m in over my head.  Still lost.  The Player is advertised as “plug and play” because it comes with the OS/music player already installed.  So i still have to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor/tv to it in order to listen to music?   I’m brand new to even the Raspberry, so I have no idea how to download and install things to it.

38 minutes ago, 01svtL said:

I guess maybe I’m in over my head.  Still lost.  The Player is advertised as “plug and play” because it comes with the OS/music player already installed.  So i still have to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor/tv to it in order to listen to music?   I’m brand new to even the Raspberry, so I have no idea how to download and install things to it.

I'm sure you don't have to connect to anything. A browser/phone is more than enough. 

I know nothing about Moode. I'm corious though. I may read it up. 

Stereo

Surround

9 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

I'm sure you don't have to connect to anything. A browser/phone is more than enough. 

I know nothing about Moode. I'm corious though. I may read it up. 

Ok so nothing additional once in use, but I WILL have to connect the keyboard/mouse/monitor in order to get the rest set up, right?

45 minutes ago, 01svtL said:

Ok so nothing additional once in use, but I WILL have to connect the keyboard/mouse/monitor in order to get the rest set up, right?

Shouldn't either. A browser should suffice. 

Stereo

Surround