IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

trying that now. will wait longer before powering clean side.

Allo have responded, asking if I have Digione selected in Dietpi, going to look into that too.

I am using a Mac, it would be more convenient to SSH rather than connect up to a display via HDMI again, could someone help me connect via SSH? I am looking online for a tutorial now.

Sorry for the newbie questions!

3 minutes ago, Spenagio said:

Allo have responded, asking if I have Digione selected in Dietpi, going to look into that too.

I am using a Mac, it would be more convenient to SSH rather than connect up to a display via HDMI again, could someone help me connect via SSH? I am looking online for a tutorial now.

No, no, first power up the clean side. Wait a long while (1 minute) then power up the dirty side.

(Unless it was typo)

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

4 minutes ago, Spenagio said:

Mac:

Fire up "Terminal"

At the prompt, type:

ssh root@ip

** ip = the server address.  Probably 192.168.1.2 **

You'll be prompted to a PWD. type dietpi  

You should be in

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

1 minute ago, Spenagio said:

yes too, sorry, I have been powering the clean side first.

waited a minute or two just, still no sound.

I'll give you one more good advice: get Max2Play. Easier to set up and the sound quality is much better.

Go to their website and read patiently.

You then download the image and use Etcher to burn it (hope you have the means to burn an SSD card).

Stereo

Surround

8 minutes ago, Spenagio said:

that is much appreciated, on my old pi with kali I only used Roon, not Dietpi.

If the sound is better then that's me sold!

That was my experience. Really in the face.

I had many troubles with DietPi. Tried Volimio and couldn't even get it installed.

Then I recalled a Max2Play voucher enclosed with DS. I was surprised by the SQ.

BTW, you don't have to use the voucher or pay anything. Personally, though, if I stick with DS, I'll send the developer some money; a token of appreciation. He's available on the Max2Play forums, so support is always not too far away.

If you  take that route, feel free to PM me if you run into trouble. 

Stereo

Surround

9 minutes ago, Spenagio said:

that is much appreciated, on my old pi with kali I only used Roon, not Dietpi.

If the sound is better then that's me sold!

Last advice: Keep the DS running for weeks. It gets better with time....

Stereo

Surround

Well guys searching for the best.

spdif with i2s  isn't a paradise.i canceled my order for signature.searching for usb bridge(because the power splits to each 2 usb ports....also erthnet with usb ports) seeing only sparky...which doesn't have support from software.

i hope any company to create a usb bridge for raspberry pi3..and this will be end of story.

2 minutes ago, Flyman said:

Well guys searching for the best.

spdif with i2s  isn't a paradise.i canceled my order for signature.searching for usb bridge(because the power splits to each 2 usb ports....also erthnet with usb ports) seeing only sparky...which doesn't have support from software.

i hope any company to create a usb bridge for raspberry pi3..and this will be end of story.

Fret not, there'll be a new story...RPi + Linux + LMS is a such a kludge that something is bound to fail once you make a change. And changes always happen.

I'm so frustrated with the SoundCloud plugin, that I'm seriously considering splurging a pile of money on a streamer/nw player with Chromecast Built-in. Expect a DS + UpTone LPS-1.2 on the 2nd hand market soon... 

Stereo

Surround

39 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Fret not, there'll be a new story...RPi + Linux + LMS is a such a kludge that something is bound to fail once you make a change. And changes always happen.

I'm so frustrated with the SoundCloud plugin, that I'm seriously considering splurging a pile of money on a streamer/nw player with Chromecast Built-in. Expect a DS + UpTone LPS-1.2 on the 2nd hand market soon... 

Let me know if you do decide to sell the LPS-1.2, I might be interested. 

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

A quick word of caution with using the 18650 battery power supplies.

I’m currently experimenting with the Allo Katana (yet another brilliant Allo product 😁👍 when properly powered), and was adding in the Supercaps to my +/- 15v battery power supply for the opamp board.

This uses 2x4 18650 batteries in plastic battery holders.

I had disconnected the battery supply from the Katana but (lazily 🙄) hadn’t disconnected the batteries before starting to disassemble the supply prior to adding the Supercaps.

Two wires touched for just a moment and that was all it took to fuse all the spring contacts in the battery power packs together, and melt the related parts of the plastic power packs! 😳 It looked like we were going to get combustion, as the spring contacts were glowing veeerry red ...

So please don’t do what I did ... and be very careful when you’re working with the battery supplies.

There is an awful lot of energy in 3 or 4 (or even just 2) of those cells in series, and whilst that contributes very significantly to the sound quality (it’s utterly brilliant on those opamp boards), it can have its downsides, too.

Am ordering replacement battery packs - and 18650’s - today ...

6 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Last advice: Keep the DS running for weeks. It gets better with time....

Looking at Max2Play now, nice website. 

Am I right in thinking it cannot host Roon? Can only see Squeezelite.

I use Roon with Tidal at the moment. Given up on Dietpi, just flashing a copy of Ropieee.

28 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

I suspect experience varies, but Roipee worked absolutely straight away for me 😁 Good luck 😉 

Pretty sure it’s what I used for my previous pi.

Been reading a DS thread on the naim forum, good stuff. Pretty sure you are in there? The naim stuff has always appealed to me, aesthetics and sound. When demoing amps I couldn’t afford what I wanted, a 250 I think, so settled for s/h Job 225 which has a similar rep for PRAT.

well, spent the entire afternoon/evening trying to get sound from the DS, and failed.

I have used a new SD card with Ropieee, all configured correctly (although I did notice that in the set-up options for Ropieee you can select Allo Digione, but there is no Signature).

Roon recognises the endpoint.

Tracks seem to be playing through.

NO SOUND.

I have tried a number of powering options for clean and pi side, using the Allo 5v PS for the pi with either another 5v or 12v for clean.

Will try with batteries on Monday, but don't hold out much hope!

I can only think that there is a hardware fault somewhere, so anticipating sending back to Audiophonics next week. Don't really want to open the case, don't think I should have to at the selling price IMO.

On the Allo website it seems the present the message that the clean side is flexible in what power is used? Doesn't seem to be the case, as I can only think that I am under powering or overpowering.

Waste of a weekend! Anyone got a Lumin to sell?

12 hours ago, Spenagio said:

well, spent the entire afternoon/evening trying to get sound from the DS, and failed.

I have used a new SD card with Ropieee, all configured correctly (although I did notice that in the set-up options for Ropieee you can select Allo Digione, but there is no Signature).

Roon recognises the endpoint.

Tracks seem to be playing through.

NO SOUND.

I have tried a number of powering options for clean and pi side, using the Allo 5v PS for the pi with either another 5v or 12v for clean.

Will try with batteries on Monday, but don't hold out much hope!

I can only think that there is a hardware fault somewhere, so anticipating sending back to Audiophonics next week. Don't really want to open the case, don't think I should have to at the selling price IMO.

On the Allo website it seems the present the message that the clean side is flexible in what power is used? Doesn't seem to be the case, as I can only think that I am under powering or overpowering.

Waste of a weekend! Anyone got a Lumin to sell?

Allo does need to update its guidance to avoid confusion.

In a more recent post Allo stated to keep it at, or around, the level of the batteries (which is 8.4 volts when fully charged) or less. 

This seems to me to make sense.

Whilst the regulators may allow up to 29 volts (or whatever) input to produce 3.3 volts (or whatever) output on the manufacturers spec sheet they will generally only allow that - reliably - with extensive heat sinking.

I don’t know about the DS Player, but on the basic DS there isn’t much sign I can see of extensive heat sinking, ... though the airflow is undeniably good 😁

Hope the batteries help ...

I am now powering the clean side with the Allo PS.

Dirty side with 5v LPS, which seems to be fine, as the Pi is working ok, installing Ropieee. So now don't think I am doing anything wrong power-wise.

All fine in Roon, aside from now sound output.

FRUSTRATING, Allo are helping, I have sent set up screens to them.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

Not sure what is going on with Allo. I placed an order on 24th December, and have been promised twice now that my digione signature would ship on Friday.

Am getting a bit worried about them missing their deadlines twice. I was told that they had some delays due to customs imports but surely promising me that the shipment would leave and missing the deadline is strange.

1 hour ago, analogmusic said:

Not sure what is going on with Allo. I placed an order on 24th December, and have been promised twice now that my digione signature would ship on Friday.

Am getting a bit worried about them missing their deadlines twice. I was told that they had some delays due to customs imports but surely promising me that the shipment would leave and missing the deadline is strange.

Assuming you are in the US, have you tried Chicago Electronic Distributors? I bought my DS from them and received it in a few days.