IGNORED

16 bit files almost unlistenable now...

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If I had a dollar for every time someone here over the last 10 years told me that they found classical music boring or impossible to listen to, I could go out this evening and buy myself an expensive steak dinner.

How many insisted it wasn't music and claimed not to know what "a Beethoven" was?

4 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

I don't know about discussions on this site, but on others, and in many situations in real life, I've heard countless people compare The Beatles favorably with Beethoven.  Those people may not claim to "not know" who or what Beethoven was, but comparing The Beatles to him as being alike in genius is a clear demonstration of their ignorance.

I don't think it's wrong to compare them in terms of influence on their contemporaries.

And now the trend is to elevate The Beach Boys to similar status lmao.  I suppose in thirty years, it will be comparisons between Eminem or Bieber or Rihanna and Beethoven.

Eminem has actual talent. Bieber, not so much. At least not musically.

Decrying elitism is a popular thing, but I see the elevation of mediocrity as something worse, culturally.  Oh, and while it's apparently elitist and reprehensible to consign The Beatles or others of their type to the rubbish heap, it's okay for their legions of fans to do the same to Taylor Swift or similar.  lol  There is a much wider gap between what is required to write the compositions (and play them) of a Beethoven and The Beatles than there is between the pop songs of McCartney et al and Swift.

I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift, but I won't say what she does isn't music. As for the Beatles, the fact that their songs are frequently reinterpreted in every style imaginable should be saying something. Here's one take that I like: https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/312-paul-berner-band-this-bird-has-flown

Or if reggae is your thing:

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

He stated his personal preference in music, that's all that his posts amount to.

He did more than that. He denigrated what he deemed to be "not music" and, through his remark about the decline of civilisation, cast aspersions on anyone who enjoys modern music.

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

He is entitled to voice his opinion, even if I and others disagree with it.

Of course he is, but he shouldn't be surprised at a little pushback.

15 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Let me put this another way. Do I have to eat an entire plate full of Brussels Sprouts to ascertain that I don't like them?

No, but you'd be wrong to declare them "not food" and hold them responsible for the (supposed) decline of civilisation.

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

No matter how divide it, Most of humanity seems to accept the premise that race is a real, physical concept. Daily on the news you hear about "racial tensions" and the effect of race in America and how the "racial demographic" in Europe is changing due to the influx of black Africans and Middle Eastern peoples from Syria, Turkey and Iraq.   

In my experience, only Americans talk about race. I had a quick look at The Guardian and BBC News websites just now, and I can't find a single mention of race in the headlines. There is an article about an anti-racism event, but that's as close as it gets.

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

Now don't go getting all logical now. It doesn't matter that the only thing the computer is reading, moving somewhere, and writing is digital data. Somewhere hidden in those bits is some magical property that gets copied any time those bits get copied.

And somehow it works on every computer and storage device, despite them being expressly designed to not behave this way.

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

When burton showed the police paperwork establishing that he was, indeed, the legal registered owner of the Ferrari, the Police arrested him anyway on suspicion of drug trafficking!

Of course they did when they realised he was a famous actor.

3 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

But he's right about his civility point, and the point behind his example of "what if one person said that one race was better than another" is obvious: Such a claim would be hateful/racist, and factually inaccurate.

And then gmgraves made precisely that claim (yet again, and apparently without irony), which was what set off the race discussion.