IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Agree...

And I hope for the sake of all that's good left in music production that they still have high quality, uncompressed tracks in the vaults such that some day this could be properly redone free from being a "loudness war" casualty.

Unfortunately, for rock, pop, blues and most anything not classical, this will not be the case. As an ex-recording/mixing engineer, I can say that tracks are already compressed before even being recorded. Meaning, most mixing consoles have compressors/limiters on every channel strip. More often than not, compression and limiting is applied on the way to the multitrack recorder (analog or digital). More often than not, during mixdown, not only possible on individual tracks, but absolutely on the stereo master bus before hitting tape or digital. Finally, applied again during the mastering process.

Speaking with one of the engineers that did the mass majority of HDTracks transfers, more often than not, receives whatever is provided by the publishing company, and more often than not, it is a "safety" master is provided, which is an already compressed mixdown on tape or digital. The best the engineer can do is eq the master and add some stereo processing, depth, maybe add a bit of reverb...

Finally, virtually all music has passed through the device before it even reaches your ears. The simple reality is that we have all heard the sound of this device since 1967 – that’s 50 years ago folks. In fact, if you are listening to mainstream music right now, it is likely that you are also listening to the sound of this device. If you look at how the  Universal Audio 1176LN Peak Limiter works, it can substantially alter the music waveform in a way that there is no coming back, regardless of anything MQA can or cannot do.

Not to paint the bleakest picture :), the likelihood of uncompressed tracks being in vaults, is about 0. Given the ubiquity of "studios in a box" and access to everyone, proper professional recording, mixing and mastering is becoming (or has become) a lost art...

If the consumer audiophile industry wanted to really do something, demanding better recordings, mixes and masters is where we would see real audible sonic improvements. Sorry Arch, did not mean to single you out, just a PSA.

Arch has a nice write-up here on doing just that:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2017/08/musings-increasing-dynamic-range-of.html

When I was recording, I did my best not to apply compression going to multi-track tape. A lot depends on the musicians being able to play whatever instrument/vocals consistently throughout a song. If you have even been in a band, even a school band from yesteryear, the dynamics go up and down with the flow of the emotion of the music being played. In a studio environment, most artists/bands are surprised how clear and dynamic they sound over headphones and sometimes have a hard time adjusting as small playing changes yield big dynamic changes in volume. So when going to tape and getting a good signal to noise ratio. some players require compression to be able to either not have enough SNR or too much and distort the tape.

Every multi-track tape usually had a track sheet that had notes on fader levels, eq, compression, effects, etc., per track, so one could relatively easily reproduce the mix or get real close. Further, most mixing consoles had automation where a number of these parameters are remembered by the computer.

That's what I am talking about with respect to "remastering". Not just taking the already mixed two track tape and messing with it. Rather going back to the original 2" multi-track tape or digital and now with modern DSP, meticulously restoring the sound quality to something that sounds like high fidelity and not having the life squashed out of the music due to too mush dynamic range compression. If that (ever) happened, I would be happy to repurchase my entire catalog...