IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

2 hours ago, azupan75 said:

Alex, here are some new observations. When powering on LPS-1.2 the colours turn from red to yellowgreen in less than 15s and when powering down instantaneously  from yellowgreen to red (no orange).

That is completely normal.

I also noticed lps-1.2 is completely cold to the touch , which I’m guessing means ultracapacitors aren’t charging/ discharging at all.

Well if you do not have a load (device drawing current from the LPS) attached, then the unit will indeed be completely cool.  So again, normal.

Of course I was unable to feed mR or uD separately with LPS-1.2 . uD has a red led which turns on immediately  when connected to lps-1, yet no light when connected to lps-1.2.

With the ultraDigital, Is that directly with the stock black 16awg coax DC cable we ship with the LPS-1.2, or its it with the 'Y' cable?

Is the LED on the UltraCap LPS-1.2 green?  Do you have a little voltage multimeter you can check the output with?

Let's please pick this up off the forum.  Contact us directly via the Contact Us page on our web site.  If your unit has failed we of course will want to replace it.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

That is completely normal.

Well if you do not have a load (device drawing current from the LPS) attached, then the unit will indeed be completely cool.  So again, normal.

With the ultraDigital, Is that directly with the stock black 16awg coax DC cable we ship with the LPS-1.2, or its it with the 'Y' cable?

Is the LED on the UltraCap LPS-1.2 green?  Do you have a little voltage multimeter you can check the output with?

Let's please pick this up off the forum.  Contact us directly via the Contact Us page on our web site.  If your unit has failed we of course will want to replace it.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

In all cases explained above lps-1.2 was attached either to mR or uD with separate DC cable (not Ysplit). Tried all sorts of combinations , yet although lps-1.2 shows green light none of devices are charging. Tried separately charging mR with LPS-1 and uD with LPS-1.2 ( no Y cable used). mR was drawing power, while uD did not (no light). When LPS-1.2  was replaced by LPS-1 uD red led lit up again (sign of charging). As explained all worked normal for 3 days. At all times lps-1.2’ s led was lit yellowgreen. Unfortunately no voltage meter at hand to check output side. But empirically It is clearly  problem on lps-1.2 side.

This is my last post here. Just wanted to finish for all following

the topic.

I will post back here how the problem was solved.

best regards,

Andy

On 10.5.2018 at 6:55 AM, bit01 said:

Perhaps but somehow I doubt this. It is likely that there is some other explanation.

You and other has reported better SQ exchange the Meanwell with a LPS. 

My theory is that those SMPS you removed has some effects on other gear or wires in your system. ( not what the LPS-1.2 is powering). 

Would be interesting to know if there exist methods to isolate noise from SMPS. I use IsoTek and Isol power conditioners. And I have measured noise gone. But the tool used is developed from same company, so not sure how much I can trust that measurement. 

Maybe adding long DC wires (with JSSG) from the SMPS in order to keep noise away can help ?

Actually I wonder I’d doing some JSSG on both DC and AC line of the Meanwell may have an effect. And as a minimum use Canare star quad out from the Meanwell. 

As several people has reported better SQ using proper DC cables between LPS-1 and the device it’s powering. 

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

You and other has reported better SQ exchange the Meanwell with a LPS. 

My theory is that those SMPS you removed has some effects on other gear or wires in your system. ( not what the LPS-1.2 is powering). 

Would be interesting to know if there exist methods to isolate noise from SMPS. I use IsoTek and Isol power conditioners. And I have measured noise gone. But the tool used is developed from same company, so not sure how much I can trust that measurement. 

Maybe adding long DC wires (with JSSG) from the SMPS in order to keep noise away can help ?

Actually I wonder I’d doing some JSSG on both DC and AC line of the Meanwell may have an effect. And as a minimum use Canare star quad out from the Meanwell. 

As several people has reported better SQ using proper DC cables between LPS-1 and the device it’s powering. 

Hi R1200CL,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The smsp is their new 36W Uptone Audio branded one that comes with the LPS 1.2. When I switch it out for the SR4 I do not unplug it from the power strip. I have not noticed any difference whether it is plugged in or not so its audible effect on the other components is NIL at least as far as my hearing is able to discern. I am using what I believe to be excellent custom DC cables made from aerospace Mil-spec 2x22awg silver plated OFC in near starquad (SR4,12in ->LPS-1.2, 10in ->to uR) ! Unfortunately I cannot use the same on the smps without modifying it due to its molded in cable.

ATB

b.

Everything makes a difference with digital.

With that in mind.  Not only try better DC wire. .it makes a difference.  Again I do the Zenwave Audio Silver OCC.  They make a quite noticeable difference.  Also try brass cones under your lps1.2.  its subtle but if your system is resolving enough everything is slightly cleaner, more relaxed and a but more intelligible!

Just saying

Happy Listening!

47 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

When you say switch to the SR4 do you mean the SR4 is feeding the LPS-1.2 and the UA SMPS is unplugged from the LPS-1.2 and still plugged into the AC main? Then you try with the UA SMPS unplugged from the main and don't hear any difference? This is not a particularly good test since the SMPS is not connected to a load, if anything is being injected into the AC mains it is most likely going to be correlated with how much power is going through the supply, with no load there is probably very little going in the mains. To be a valid test you should have some heavy load on the SMPS.

John S.

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes to your query except the UA smps was connected to the LPS-1 which had no load. I can connect the microRendu with another DAC to it and see what effect that might have.

ATB.

22 hours ago, bit01 said:

Thanks for chiming in!

Yes to your query except the UA smps was connected to the LPS-1 which had no load. I can connect the microRendu with another DAC to it and see what effect that might have.

ATB.

I connected the UA smps/LPS-1 (A) into the same power strip as the SR4/LPS-1.2 (B) as follows:

A: UA smps->LPS-1->mR->AQ Dragonfly->Senn/Massdrop HD6XX

B: PH SR4->LPS-1.2->uR->Naim DAC-V1->stereo system

A&B are linked when both are plugged in and play simultaneously via J. River. The listening is through B.

When listening to a test playlist, I cannot say that I reliably hear a notable difference  between A plugged in or not. However when focusing on one section of a track with percussive instruments on repeat play there seems to be a slight difference - like a reduction in the 'sheen/shimmer'  of the brass with A plugged in. The frequency balance could perhaps be tilted ever so slightly with the highs (HF) seemingly less prominent than the LF, i.e. in favor of the lowest frequencies if that is possible? Something akin to the effect that  different interconnects between components might produce.

So yes-when A is plugged in, there is a slight effect on B but my feeling is that whatever it is  injecting back into the AC is not affecting the DAC that much. However when the UA smps replaces the SR4 in 'B' that 'edge/glare' is detectable enough to prefer the latter especially in lengthy listens.

ATB

b.

10 minutes ago, bit01 said:

I connected the UA smps/LPS-1 (A) into the same power strip as the SR4/LPS-1.2 (B) as follows:

Thanks for your report!  You guys always amaze us with the lengths you go and the subtleties you hear.  :D

I am truly happy you found a unique setup that wrings every bit out of your system.  I just don't want people to think that they have to spend money charging the (not connected side of) ultracaps with another fine LPS just to enjoy the great benefits of our UltraCap LPS-1.2. B|

25 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for your report!  You guys always amaze us with the lengths you go and the subtleties you hear.  :D

I am truly happy you found a unique setup that wrings every bit out of your system.  I just don't want people to think that they have to spend money charging the (not connected side of) ultracaps with another fine LPS just to enjoy the great benefits of our UltraCap LPS-1.2. B|

Thank you Alex - and for the great products! I hope I am not giving the impression that the LPS-1.2/UA smps combo is less than fantastic because it is! I certainly did not purchase the SR4 for such a reason as to replace the smps! I just happened to have it in another setup. I mentioned what I hear here as I thought it might raise further thoughts into possible additional steps toward that elusive perfection, and also in response to John's query above.

Best regards.

Just checking in after a long absence to say that I'm very happy with the two new LPS1.2s that I purchased recently.  I have one powering my SOtM SMS200 streamer (12v setting) and the other powering my ISO Regen (7v setting), with both energized by the new Uptone SMPS'. 

Imaging is more 3 dimensional - near holographic on some good recordings, vocalists have more midrange presence and the bass seems to have deepened a tad.

Great job John and Alex.  I'm looking forward to more goodies from Uptone...

I just wanted to say I got the new 1.2 SMPS charger awhile back for my LPS-1 and it breathed new life into it. Much better than the HDPLEX or Zéro Zone I’d been charging with before. Thanks!

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, jdoleys said:

Finally made today the purchase of the new LPS-1.2 take advantage of the shipping June 7. 

That's great, thanks!  And we are on track to ship all orders this Thursday, June 7th. 

To those folks who have been waiting a few weeks, we thank you for your patience and promise it will prove to have been worth the wait! :)

On 5/18/2018 at 12:27 PM, kissov said:

I read online somewhere that the ISO and LPS are not needed with the 1.4 board upgrade to the microRendu?

An incorrect understanding. The 1.4 upgrade places your device somewhere between a 1.3 microRendu and an ultraRendu for performance. All of which

should benefit from ISO Regen and better PS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi All,

I am using  two Lps1.2's and one Lps1.0, each with the 'new' UA meanwell.

I would like to remove the smps's and replace them with a single Lps.

Could this 'triple' connection arrangement be disadvantageous in any circumstance and what current/wattage capacity would be required for the single LPS?

Any advice/ insight would be gratefully received.

20 minutes ago, Frojo said:

I am using  two Lps1.2's and one Lps1.0, each with the 'new' UA meanwell.

Hi:  Just to be clear, the new UpTone-branded, internally ground-shunted, 7.5V/4.8A/36W SMPS that we supply with the UltraCap LPS-1.2 is not manufactured by Mean Well.  Mean Well would not comply with our requirements (the internal AC>DC ground shunt) and I spent months getting samples from other custom suppliers until we found a really good one.  I've actually run these up to 7(!) amps with our load box and they don't complain.  John keeps telling me how impressed he has been with these.  

They are now available for purchase on our web site at: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

20 minutes ago, Frojo said:

I would like to remove the smps's and replace them with a single Lps.

Could this 'triple' connection arrangement be disadvantageous in any circumstance and what current/wattage capacity would be required for the single LPS?

To allow your two LPS-1.2 units and your one LPS-1 unit full margin to run in high-charge-current mode (that's the mode they are in any time the output load is 0.5A or greater), you would need a power supply capable of a real 90 watts.  That's 36W each for the LPS-1.2, and 18W for the LPS-1.

For the LPS-1 the charger voltage much not exceed 12V.  For the LPS-1.2 you charge with up to 24V.  In each case divide the wattage (36 or 18) by the voltage to arrive at the current required.  (e.g. for LPS-1.2 you can use  24V/1.5A, 18V/2A, 12V/3A, 9V/4A)

There should be not detriment to doing this with one big supply, but there is likely little advantage other than it being more tidy.  Just be sure that your 90W LPS is:

a) Truly capable of supplying the power;

b) Is not going to mechanically hum a lot (our UltraCap supplies draw charge current in cyclical bursts, and a charger PS with transformer magnetics prone to emit lamination vibration noise will draw attention to itself.)

Hope that helps,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex,

Apologies for wrongly attributing the new UA smps to meanwell.

Your explanation does help a lot. I am averse to cable clutter,and space limited,  therefore three smps in close proximity to each other with attendant power in/out cables is a challenge. 

I have recently 'JSSG'ed the three dc ghent cables to great effect and found myself wondering whether similar gains could be reaped by replacing the dc out cables from the smps's  (or by removing them altogether by introducing an LPS).

thanks again

mark

46 minutes ago, Frojo said:

I have recently 'JSSG'ed the three dc ghent cables to great effect and found myself wondering whether similar gains could be reaped by replacing the dc out cables from the smps's  (or by removing them altogether by introducing an LPS).

Hi Mark:

Please remember that the charger--and its DC cable--are only ever attached to the side/bank of the UltraCap unit that is NOT connected to the output.  The entire power domain of the charger circuits is galvanically isolated and switched away from the bank that is at any given moment active and connected to the cascade of output regulators.  THIS IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF OUT DESIGN--and the reason for all its complexity.  You could feed our units horrifically noisy/dirty power and it won't make a bit of difference to the output.

Other that minimal AC line interaction of an SMPS (not near as large as some would have you believe, and even an AC>DC LPS kicks harmonics to the wall), there is nothing about having an LPS as charger that can result in cleaner output from the LPS-1.2.  It would be like telling someone that if they charge their iPhone battery with an LPS their calls and music will sound better. :S