IGNORED

USB output A-to-D converter and Mac software

asdf1000

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent A-to-D converter with USB output and MacOS software, all that comes under USD300?

Audio only, up to 24bit/96kHz 

I should tag @mansr and @Miskasince they've shared a lot of measurements around here on CA. Their personal preferred gear may be well above my budget but maybe they can still recommend stuff <USD300 

Cheers!

This is perhaps the best thing going for $299.

Audient ID14.  They do have Mac Drivers for it. And a Mac control app. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD14

What are going to be your main uses for it?  That might steer you toward another choice.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Options really open up if you are to buy software. 

VinylStudio looks to be recommended by PS Audio so I'd probably just go with that. At USD30 for the software, it all still falls under the USD300 budget, even with shipping.

No harm in trying Audacity first.

4 hours ago, GUTB said:

BTW do any of you guys know of a native DSD capable ADC?

Yes I do. The KORG MR-2000S and TASCAM makes a Native DSD recorder called the DA-3000 as well.

http://tinyurl.com/yd282nov

These folks have it available for $800 after a rebate from TASCAM 

I must warn you, though, the Korg MR-2000S is more than $1000 new, but you can find one on E-bay for less. There are a bunch of them for sale there. I saw one just a few minutes ago for less that $700. Another way to go would be the Korg MR1 which is a "hand-held" DSD recorder. I have one of these as well, and it has excellent sound quality. I use it for location recordings all the time. It's basic DSD (2.8 MHz), but it has balanced or unbalanced inputs; will record PCM to 24/192, and with the addition of Korg's 'Audiogate' software for Either Mac or Windows, you change any supported format to any other format. E-bay has an MR1 right now that you can buy for US$350.

http://tinyurl.com/y7kylcrf

Be advised that the MR-1 sites to a sub-2" HDD, and not to solid state storage as does the MR-2000S. I have tried to find an SSD equivalent of this mechanical HDD, but I have never seen one in this form factor. Nice part of the MR1 is that it comes apart easily and replacement Li battery cells are available on E-bay for far less than the $125 than Korg charges for a replacement. I recently replaced the battery in mine (I've been using this MR1 since 2005) for $12!. Also, universal Wall-wart power supplies can be had from many sources and the connector tip used is a common one. So Power supply replacement (should it ever need doing) is a cinch as well. 

I hope this info is of some help

George