IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

57 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Over on Audioasylum, John Atkinson wrote:

So, now that MQA has developed the "perfect filter", any POS DAC will sound like a million bucks as long as it can decode MQA files! I look forward to seeing the Audioquest Dragonfly being equally ranked with a $100K dCS stack in the pages of Stereophile.

Ugh, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to read Jim Austin's thesis . . .

Problem is MQA Ltd. hasn't developed the perfect filter. Charles Hansen was a friend and we recently had phone conversations about digital filtering. The last one seemed to be a brain dump on his filtering ideas shortly before he passed away. 

There does seem to be a hope in the industry that a single solution like MQA could be sold to younger people and that solutions like Audiolense Mitch wrote about are too complicated. 

I'm going to hold Jim Austin to the same professional standards I'm held to. In other words I'm going to hold him accountable. I encourage everyone to do the same. 

10 minutes ago, darkmass said:

This contest would be a lot more fun if you made the prize a Mytek Manhattan II.

Remember The Absolute Sound MQA articles a couple months back. I got a lot of criticism from Andrew Quint at RMAF 2017 about the responses to his and Robert Harley's articles. 

I think a small prize will help people focus their displeasure on what Jim Austin writes so I can use it later. I understand it is a lot of fun to attack Jim Austin personally but this a perfect opportunity to attack the technology of MQA since MQA Ltd is going to need more money in the near future.

20 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I read some of the comments from Jim Austin - and there is not one aspect which criticises MQA in the texts i read.

MQA is meant to be how the mastering engineer heard it - yet he states "almost always", MQA is better. How would he know if it is better - he was not at the mixing desk.

If current technology is the best (it has to be, else it would not be current), what exactly is MQA fixing, that Jim Austins states makes it better ?

I still don't see how anyone can continue to state MQA improves everything, and for some reason, no one in the recording industry or audio engineering design (including IC manufacturers), have discovered the flaws in existing recordings or equipment..

Regards,

Shadders.

You are the leader in the clubhouse but each contest runs 30 days from posting on Stereophile's site.

4 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

They could probably get reliably more traffic over there if commenting wasn't so cumbersome. It's super difficult to scroll thru to find new posts.

But your Stereophile comment also reminds me of something a college prof once told me: "A good way to get a lot of citations is to be wrong."

That line reasoning works exceptionally well in the golf industry.

37 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I am not sure of what you mean regarding the clubhouse etc.

My intention was that for someone to state nothing but good regarding a product (same as saying nothing but bad - seen it online with regards to a speaker bake off) indicates extreme bias.

Regards,

Shadders.

Leader in the clubhouse is the first person to finish a golf tournament with a competitive score someone who might win the tournament. The last time I won a stroke play golf tournament I finished four hours before the guy who finished second did and waited an entire afternoon. In your case you have to wait until January 11th. 

Bias is part of the checklist I made after I read Jim Austin's article. If you read my Dear Jim and Dear John posts on Audio Asylum you can get an idea of the standards I'm holding Jim to. My professions standards.

54 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

OK - but sorry, still none the wiser regarding the 30 day rule and January 11th. I have not posted on Stereophile.

Although - this does remind me when i went golf, and was in the clubhouse, sitting down, having a pint, and they had just cleaned/polished the patio doors.

No doubt you can guess, a bloke proceeds to walk through the glass with pint in hand, and smack his head on the door, pint going all over the place. He did need some assistance.

OK - i did start to laugh. Was this wrong of me ???.

Regards,

Shadders.

People can post their entries here if I can find them in an MQA thread.

In my case less funny because I've walked into glass doors twice very late at night after setting alarms from an unfamiliar part of a building I was working in three time zones west of where I was living. 

42 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

This thread has gone horribly off the rails. More so than the "MQA is vaporware" thread when many posts were criticizing Brian Lucey for compression!

My own assessment of Austin's latest article is that it says hardly anything new or noteworthy. I get the sense that upcoming articles will utterly fail to mention, never mind address, the many criticisms (sonic and otherwise) raised by multiple manufacturers, engineers, and industry professionals.

You are correct and I have a bunch of items on my check lists people haven't mentioned yet. 

On 12/17/2017 at 6:10 AM, mcgillroy said:

So I tried to get a grip on the ownership structure of Stereophile and that's a wee bit complicated.

They are owned by a holding called Source which manages a consortium called TEN standing for "The Enthusiast Network."

TEN publishes number of consumer interest titles ranging from sufer mags over baseball to audio. 60 mags and about a 100 online titles all together. These titles deal mostly with medium to high priced hobby consumer goods.

I could not find any good info on the financial structure and ownership makeup of Source but then I didn't look to hard.

Anybody able to shed some light on this?

Particularly if there are any investments or stakes in Source by Warner or any of the other big media-conglomerates. 

A little housekeeping.

The Enthusiast Network was Source Interlink Media. They are owned by Golden Tree Asset Management.

Goldentree Asset Management manages funds for institutional investors, pension funds and countries.

TEN is a coordinated marketing approach to reaching men under 50, guys who like cars of all ages, a few women who surf, snowboard, skateboard etc.

7 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Please step away from the deep end. Stereophile has been in print for over 50 years, and John Atkinson has been at Stereophile for over 30.

I told you who owned Stereophile, public information. TEN is primarily a group of auto publications that's where the advertising dollars are. The audio parts of TEN are a tiny part of their operation. Think Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and a personal favorite Street Rodder. If you aren't thinking about things like the DEW Tour, drag racing and surfing you aren't in their demo either.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't doxx people.

Let's try to get this thread back on point. There are still issues that could be a winning entry which is the purpose of this thread. 

The current buzz word for MQA supporters is elegant. Bob Stuart used it in Manufacturers Comments in the January 2018 issue of Stereophile and John Atkinson picked it up in his "New World" defense. Watch for others to do the same.

And finally Aurrender may be in software licensing jam. If true I would insist they brick all the products (make them inoperable) if it was my software.

Carry on 

31 minutes ago, crenca said:

Such art and wine descriptors is indicative of Stereophile's approach and position in Audiophiledom (and thus to MQA).  It is also why they don't get the consumer backlash against a DRM/IP protected format takeover of our digital audio ecosystems.  John Atkinson's/Stereophiles approach has been more subtle than TAS's, and thus appears more even handed but I don't think it really is, not significantly.

A while back (> year if I recall correctly) Jason Serinus wrote on the Stereophile blog that I was waging a "war" on MQA on the forums.  I thought to myself that was a bit like Germany complaining that the a few disorganized Pole's were shooting back at them after their successful invasion.  Stereophile/TAS are trade publications, and as such they just don't do "journalism" which would include looking at the pros and cons of MQA (or anything else) from a consumer perspective.  Thus, when John Atkinson comes here and states "for the record" that Stereophile is not getting paid by MQA this does not mean that they suddenly have become something they are not - that they are neutral about MQA or are taking an objective look at it.  This simply is not in their wheelhouse.

What forums such as this one allow (despite their real drawbacks - witness that last few pages of whether so-and-so should be banned) is for consumer to network with other consumers and industry players and "cloud source" the real truth about MQA (or anything else).  It's messy, inefficient, and unpublishable but it has the advantage of being truthful in a way a trade publication will never be.

As the current art and wine, personality, confidence game based Audiophiledom runs it course Stereophile and TAS are becoming less and less relevant (on several levels).  Sure, there is still a whole bunch of these types of guys with deep pockets sustaining the culture, and it will not go gentle into that good night, but that is OK.  In a sense this thread and the Stereophile series is superfluous - what is it really going to say that we don't already know by our own sleuthing?  Is Austin going to really reveal something from behind the NDA curtin?  If he did, would it be anything more than a half truth designed with the best interest of MQA in mind?  Is the consumer whose interest does not coincide with Stereophile's or MQA ever going to be described as "right" as opposed to "nasty" as Jim puts it?

The contest relating to Jim Austin's series in Stereophile has a simple purpose. I prefer to write in a style that includes other voices. The contest is my attempt to clean up and focus on what Jim writes about MQA and debunk it. Attacking people nobody has heard of doesn't carry much weight if you are writing for and audience wider than audiophiles and I am. And if you want to attack him or any other person at Stereophile do it in another post. In other words, Jim I disagree with .... in one post. And in the next one Jim it is clear you don't understand the technology involved in MQA ....

There is very little in the two The Absolute Sound articles on MQA in the  comments section that are easily used. 

And this is what I posted on Audio Asylum on December 7, 2017

Dear John,

As the time for the January issue of Stereophile approaches I want to remind you and Jim MQA technology has already been analyzed and discussed. The agenda for debating MQA was set in January of this year so there was no need for me to frame the debate about MQA and its technology for Jim's series. As I said in my Dear Jim post a decision was made that MQA would have to be analyzed by people outside the audio industry.

What I put in my November 14, 2017 Dear Jim post are hurdles. The same hurdles my profession uses. Are you competent to write this series? Next hurdle will you look at both sides of the claims made by MQA Ltd for and against their technology and look at other alternatives? Third hurdle can you exercise professional judgement about the facts and the claims made? Only if you can clear these hurdles can you write an article and have the possibility of arriving at an objective conclusion. 

I gave Jim some examples of topics that need to be covered. You wrote about Charley Hansen's alternative to some of the issues MQA is claiming to solve. Peter St maker of XXHigh End wrote about his filters and mitchco wrote about Audiolense software and its filters on Computer Audiophile in the past week. It doesn't seem to be hard to find alternatives to MQA.

Take care,

Stephen