IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

Lavorgna's trolling worked perfectly, plain and simple.  He wasn't here to discuss computer audio.  He was here to disrupt, pure and simple.  And he succeeded, even subsequent to the banning .

The revival of the WDW "civility" thread is the clearest example of his success:  https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/13204-civility/

The "incivility" being objected to of course isn't someone saying GFYM, but rather, the subjectivist snowflakes lamenting the banning of their prophet.

Thanks, Firedog.  I have that guy on my ignore list, so I didn't see his erudite contribution.  I did go to grad school there a few hundred thousand years ago.

I also didn't mean to suggest anything political, but rather that the disruption tactic was similar.  If Lavorgna had come here to discuss some aspect of audio and had gotten caught up in the heat of passionate debate, it would be a lot more forgivable.  

I do think that tactic he used is designed to undermine free expression here in the same sort of way as the "alt-right" was far more interested in provoking a disruption in Berkeley than in initiating a dispassionate discussion.  I am not suggesting Lavorgna has any sympathy at all with the "alt-right" or holds any views in common with them.

10 minutes ago, Indydan said:

But, when ML would post here, it appeared to me he was playing games and being facetious. It looked like he would avoid answering questions directly, and would try to anger members. Once a member would erupt and lose his cool, ML would then discredit him and state something like, it was impossible to have a rational conversation. It seemed like he would play these games to discredit others, to avoid answering questions and make himself look good and more mature. He is somewhat skilled at these games, but I think some people here saw right through him. 

That's right.  I agree completely.

The only thing I would add is that by doing so, he was also trying to discredit this website.  He is by no means stupid; I doubt this was accidental.

SankyK/Alex mentioned that we have had HA folks come here to do similar things.  He is absolutely correct, and having been the target of some overzealous and threatening behavior (being the hard-left subjectivist that I am), I have no sympathy.  But the one difference is presumably those trolls aren't the proprietor of a "competing" website.  (I also want to thank Alex for intervening on my behalf.)

6 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Seriously?

IIRC, this was some of the nonsense that lit ML's fuse. He didn't just go of the rails in a vacuum. I hope you're nearly ready to graduate 4th grade and that Chris is taking notes.

Because saying Lasagna is the moral equivalent of being told to go fuck your mother?

He was here to troll.  Someone took the bait.  As typical of some people who believe in grounding their equipment to buckets of sand, rationality did not prevail, he massively over-reacted, and his cohort are tripping all over themselves to explain away the Adult Day Care outbursts.

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

They are not assumptions.

When I read it, I assumed it was correct, and chastised myself a little bit for having not paid closer attention and for previously assuming by default he was in a heterosexual relationship when he made amusing comments.

I take what he wrote at face value, and would be afraid to assume he made a mistake.  I have no idea which is true, but maybe you do.  I find making assumptions about people leads to all kinds of problems.

Just now, petaluma said:

Wow I have been away for awhile and just started looking at posts. It seems to me if Mr. Lavorgna runs a competing website he showed up here for a short period of time and got you guys attacking each other like rabid dogs. I'd argue mission accomplished....Color me a conspiracy theorist...

I came to the exact same conclusion. (Soft minds run together.)

If you need to escape the smoke, you are always welcome to come visit (although it is quite smokey here).  Hope you and yours are ok!

4 hours ago, petaluma said:

Hey Bill good to hear from you. And thanks for the good wishes and offer. We are doing OK up here except for the incredibly bad air quality. Petaluma luckily has turned out to be the evacuation center of choice based on the fact we have not been hit by the fires. I grew up in LA and the annual ash fall from the hills burning was routine, this is something else.....I saw the other post on Lavorgna had some discussion on bicycles involved. That's always a good trend!

Yeah, sometimes it can be a good reality check while we argue endlessly about our multi-thousand dollar toys.

920x1240.jpg

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, crenca said:

Kind of surprises me given how many of the rest of you regulars get "controversial" pm's, but I've only gotten a handful from people who had technical questions about headphones and the like.

Perhaps it's because I know karate...

I used to get a pile of people asking me to help un-fuck their computer after they tried to "optimize" it for playback.  I had to turn PMs off.  I liked the death threats much better.