IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Mercman said:

If you are referring to the Synergistic Research Atmosphere, there is no snake-oil here. Many products have been sold employing the Schumann Resonance to enhance audio systems.

That doesn't mean they're not snake oil. Why would Schumann resonances have anything whatsoever to do with audio?

1 minute ago, Spacehound said:

It leads me to suspect that the MQA licences are paid  for  'pro rata' on release of  MQA tracks and a 'pay per play' basis when streamingrather than an all encompassing fee in advance.

I've been told MQA has been giving steep discounts to early adopters on the hardware side. Perhaps they have/had an introductory pricing for labels too.

5 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Not quite. I said that I was told by my Russian-speaking daughter that while the phrase GFYM can indeed be meant as a literal exhortation, it is also in use as a general exclamation. A quick Google search retrieves this: "ёб твою́ мать which literally means '(I) fucked your mother', but . . . may also be used as an exclamation in which it can mean 'I’ll be damned!'" As in ""CA sure has a lot of posts about MQA - GFYM!"

A closer English equivalent is probably "fuck me."

5 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Perhaps Michael Lavorgna has Russian ancestry :-)

Even if he does, it is no excuse. His grasp of the English language is clearly sufficient that he should be capable of choosing profanities appropriate to the situation and audience.

50 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

You don't have to have a cathedral to be a city, not in the UK.

I live in a city of 250,000. The nearest cathedral city is much smaller.

London:

Two small adjacent cities, one with a cathedral, one without.

Westminster has a traditional Christian cathedral. The City of London has (or is) a cathedral of Mammon.

And 'England'  is part of a 'federation' called the UK but unlike the other parts 'England' doesn't have a government.

If only it were that simple.

9 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I live in in the UK in  a 'village' close to a town of about 350,000 separated by a  broad river.  I haven' been there for years, as the  parking charges are very high but  parking is still close to impossible.  It's effectively a 'sales' tax' as I can think of zero reasons why anyone would  go there for 'pleasure' other than to get away from it in one of these:

Southampton+for+the+day,+8.6.2013+222.JP.

I can see that ship from my window when she's in town.

5 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

That's correct, and the founders/execs of AltaVista were so out of touch with reality, combined with being incredibly arrogant, I'm glad the IPO fell apart in 2000.  If AltaVista did go public, the exec team would probably be buying $1000 ethernet cables today and enjoying the superior sound of MQA. :)

AltaVista was well dead by 2000, Google having trounced them.

10 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Up to a point. I can access and alter an MQA file and unaltered it will play, if not fully, on anything.  and there is no 'serious' encryption.

The Rights to the full Digital resolution are still Managed.

And of course they claim it isn't. Maybe just another lie, but they are very insistent on it.

It doesn't matter whether or not the "folded" part is encrypted as such. As long as you don't know the decoding algorithm, it may as well be. You can't access it either way.

6 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

Not quite.  I don't recall the exact date that Google's traffic exceeded that of AltaVista but think it was more like mid to late 2001.  That said, the insular, arrogant nature of the AltaVista search team combined with a non-technical, hands-off exec team meant that AltaVista was a dead man walking from the very founding of Google.

I wasn't talking about traffic volume. Google delivered better search results almost immediately, and it was only a matter of time before the general public realised this.