IGNORED

Neil Young's Hitchhiker in 24/384

I just purchased Neil Young's Hitchhiker from Qobuz. If you buy the HD version, you get a choice of several formats and resolutions including 24/384. They also offer 24/192, I assume since a lot of DACs won't handle the higher sampling frequency.

Just thought it was interesting to see a high-profile commercial release in super-high resolution. Fairly priced at €15,99 as  well.

So this 1970's recording is 384/24?  What do you think that gets you that 96/24 would miss?

For the price I suppose there is no reason to complain, but why waste all those samples?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'd buy the lower res hi res and upsample  to 384 if I thought super hires sounded better on my system.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 9/8/2017 at 9:00 AM, Patrick Cleasby said:

I got it down for interest but FLAC, AIFF and WAV downloaded from the 384 option are all actually 192.

So I think it's a mistake. I shall ask for my 10.99 back!

I tried to download the 384 version as well and got the same as you.  I emailed them earlier to find out what is going on.  In my experience with Qobuz they are pretty good so I will await their response.

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 12:34 AM, TubeLover said:

Given the total number of the releases in his catalog, that's impressive. I also have everything on CD, with some additional Hi Rez versions.

Do you have both Arc and Weld?

JC

Sorry about the delay in responding.  I have Weld.  My understanding is that Arc was only released on CD, never on LP. 

There's more information here on a recent reddit post - before I deleted my account.  Since that post I now have Eldorado - only missing Lucky 13.

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

FWIW, both HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds have Hitchhiker available in 24/96 and 24/192.

I have it on LP. It's an interesting and somewhat introspective album, with acoustic versions of what becomes Rust Never Sleeps. 

What I find remarkable is how Neil Young moves from acoustic to an electrical version, depending on who knows what. 

6 hours ago, mjb said:

Hitchhiker is 33 minutes long, and HDtracks wants 23.5 euros... that 70 cents a minute! O.o

The prices for most HiRes albums at HDtracks are in general far away from being competitive in Europe since a view weeks, even with the usual 15% discount. Cheapest vendor for Hitchhiker in Europe is currently 7digital.com, until it is, hopefully  soon, available here: https://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/music-2/hd-digital.html