IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

5 hours ago, wgscott said:

What Karl Popper used to describe a tendency in the social sciences to slavishly emulate what they (wrongly) perceived as being the aims and methods of the physical sciences.

Feynman used the term Cargo Cult Sciences.

Feynman's term, though not as snappy as "scientism," really gets to the idea that, like cargo cults, some folks like to "collect" aspects of some scientific experiments without a great understanding of the role those aspects play.

Perfectly valid non-blinded scientific and medical tests are done every day, some involving human judgment (e.g., reading mammograms, though machines are getting better at the pattern recognition needed for that task, and may at this point be superior to humans).  The fundamental scientific idea is not blinding, but controlling for variables.  If sighted bias is one of the variables, it should be removed if at all possible.  But unless that is the *only* variable, your work isn't done if you want a valid test.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Ok, so you are now unambiguously saying all blind (musician) auditions are invalid (no "level matching") and player skill cannot be determined unless player is visible

Oh dear.  If you must mischaracterize what I've said to that extent, why are you bothering at all, except to be argumentative?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I was thinking more of the assumption that the scientific method trumps other ways of knowing....

I'm quite fond of the scientific method as a way of knowing. :)

Just now, AJ Soundfield said:

Oh, "potential" problems.

How about specific ones invalidating these

TIA

I already responded several times about the violin test, so no need to repeat myself there.

With regard to the blind auditions, you may have forgotten: You said these supported the scientific effectiveness of blind testing.  You'd be the one making the claim.  That seems to me to make you the one responsible for coming up with supporting evidence, yes?

All I said about the blind auditions (repeatedly) was that the articles pointed out problems with sighted auditions, and the fact that there is a bias problem with sighted auditions doesn't prove blind auditions are valid.  Apparently you feel these articles show positive evidence of scientific validity that I'm not seeing.  Thus if you wished to respond to what I've actually said, once again, your time to come up with positive evidence of scientific validity.

Just now, plissken said:

You could simply try reading what AJ is saying. You seem to be deflecting and AJ putting it right on the chin.

Perhaps you haven't been following the conversation from the beginning?

Just now, plissken said:

I read the same articles you did Jud. I have to say your interpretation of the results are baffling. I'm sure the female musicians would disagree.

So having doubts about the validity of the violin test because those selected appear to be the loudest ones is "baffling" to you?  Would you have no doubt about the validity of an A/B test that wasn't level matched?  If you would think there's a possibility the louder one might have an advantage, then why does my thinking the same thing baffle you?

With regard to the auditions: Do you believe that making the auditions blind removes any and all possible problems with them?  I don't.  Is this baffling?

With zero reasons for invalid

I eagerly await the next blind A/B test with one sample louder than the other that you think is perfectly valid.

Not forgotten. The results are orchestras that reflect the population diversity one would expect statistically..

Unless you believe the only good musicians are white males as believed prior to blind testing. Which of course you reject as valid.

So what do you suggest to address the sighted bias problem?

I suggest blinding to address the sighted bias problem, of course.  Do you believe this is all one has to do to assure a valid audition?

9 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I believe I now know the answer to Jud's original question "Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?". It's because of threads just like this one.  27 pages so far. Have we reached any conclusions yet? Has anyone been convinced of the error of their ways? Anyone change their mind? Hmmm....

I have to say I'm surprised at what's taken up some of this space.  That another member would act so outrageously toward mansr surprised (and angered) me.  (For anyone catching up with the thread, don't bother looking.  Chris quite rightly banned the member and deleted posts having to do with the member's conduct and comments on it.)  The reaction to saying what we all learned about science in high school, that for a valid experiment you want to control for as many variables as possible, and the sheer number of comments that reaction involved, surprised me.

There've been some valuable and interesting comments along the way, too (thank goodness :) ).

3 hours ago, Teresa said:

No, it proves what I have been saying for decades that AB’ing either sighted or blind doesn’t work.

Hi Teresa.  There are situations where blind A/B testing works very well.  What your statement has in common with a lot of folks that you'd be surprised to have something in common with ( ;) ) is that it doesn't pay attention to the specifics that might make a particular test valid or not.

The fact that blind or sighted A/B testing doesn't work for you is fine - you've put together a system you like at low cost without it.  But if you're saying that blind testing doesn't work for anyone in any circumstances, then that's really just the flip side of someone else trying to tell you it works for everyone in all circumstances.  It's just you (or them) trying to impose one (inaccurate) view on everyone else.

10 minutes ago, mmerrill99 said:

If you circumscribe 'high fidelity' by what limited testing reveals then I don't agree.

If you describe high fidelity as better perceived realism & insight into the music reproduced then I would agree & last I understood, that seems to be what most audio forums are about - people stating what they hear & others using this information & evaluating it themselves by their own listening.

Do you see how you resist Sal's attempt to circumscribe in your first paragraph, and then in your second paragraph make your own attempt to circumscribe?

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

Not so. The buffer stores digital sample values as received over the wire. There is no mechanism by which it could store anything else, including noise.

As I've said from time to time, you could handwrite the values (might take a while), transcribe and input them via keyboard into a buffer, and it would work perfectly well.

1 minute ago, mmerrill99 said:

I was circumscribed when I was young - nothing I can do about it :)

Where is that "rimshot" emoji when you need it?

15 hours ago, plissken said:

If the preference is for loudness then it's legit.

I believe in one instance it removed bias for/against gender from the equation. Were they trying to control from something else?

Hi plissken -

- Regarding preference for loudness, here are the headline and lead sentence for the cited article:

Million-dollar Strads fall to modern violins in blind ‘sound check’

Perhaps no name conveys superiority quite like Stradivarius.

Do you think this was about loudness, or superiority?

- Regarding the auditions: These are auditions for jobs.  Blinding the auditions removed gender bias from the situation, which is a very good thing.  If you were interviewing someone for a job, would you be concerned about anything other than gender bias?  I certainly would.

Taking the specific example of an orchestra, playing in coordination with others is essential.  At one time (don't know if they still do), the Vienna Philharmonic required all its violinists to use the same bowing when playing in unison (in other words, upstroke at the same time, downstroke at the same time - kinda like absolute polarity ;) ).  So if you were setting up the auditions, you might want to set up a one way mirror or video feed to test the auditioner's ability to play in coordination with other orchestra members, while maintaining the blinding.

Blinding the audition certainly makes it better at determining who's the superior player regardless of gender.  But there are other qualities you want in a new hire besides gender neutrality, and so there are better and worse blind audition setups to get the results you want.

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

No, Jud, you have it wrong. The point of the hobby is to listen the way a chosen few listen. Only they actually know how audio works and how to choose what sounds good.

"But I'm not bitter!"  ;) 

1 hour ago, plissken said:

It's only ONE metric. The are controlling for THAT metric as best they can. That metric may or may not be combined with others in a final hiring decision.

I wouldn't know what else gets considered but I'm sure there are other traits.

Maybe they have a history of not showing up on time for rehearsal. Maybe they are some sort of diva to deal with. Maybe they like to pick their nose with their bow.

Yup, we are in agreement.

3 minutes ago, semente said:

Unlike most, I can hardly ever find any useful information in reviews.

In “official” reviews, and anywhere else that has the Lake Wobegon effect (“where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average”), I agree with you. Only those who have a variety of opinions are helpful if I am looking for subjective input.

45 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Pattern matching is also why A and B in an audio test will start to sound the same when switching back and forth

Hi Teresa -

This is not actually the case.  Pattern matching can be inborn, as various experiments regarding the way we hear have shown.  If it is not an inborn pattern, then laying down that auditory pattern to the point where your brain automatically matches it isn’t a quick process.  Experiments have been done showing a week of training just in perceiving a single type of sound is inadequate.

So whatever is occurring in several minutes of A/B doesn’t have to do with your brain learning to do pattern matching in that amount of time.