IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Total mis-direction from the points being discussed, that being the most reliable tools to use in judging accuracy.  The bottom line still being that sighted human opinions and judgement is next to useless unless they can be substantiated with either measurement, or under blind bias controlled conditions.

I guess I should just give up listening to music and just listen to you. So tell me, I have both a FirstWatt M2 and J2. I've listened to both extensively, never blinded. I've not taken measurements of either, although I do have the individual parts and schematics to build copies/versions of both. So tell me: which one is "more accurate"? based on what exact measurements? Because clearly I've been doing this all wrong. What measurements should I make to tell me what to listen to? (I want the most accuracy)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Now who knows, maybe in this case jabbr is just making a "big fat guess."  But my assumption would be to the contrary: That he understands what the circuitry in the two amps is doing, and since listening didn't show anything obviously wrong, he felt no need to perform measurements to determine the circuits were operating as designed.

Thanks @Jud -- I often worry I am just making a bit fat guess though :) 

Seriously I am posting from my own personal experience. I'll give another example: based on @Miska's description, my analysis of the excellent design as well as his very careful and excellent measurements I built the DSC1 DAC ... expecting to hear auditory nirvana, now don't get me wrong its outstanding just missing some qualities best described by flowery prose :) So I considered (because this is an open design): what can I do to make it "better" and by "better" perhaps more lifelike? So I've proposed some design changes ... well it turns out that in building a Ferrari we have some of the problems of a Ferrari ... when it works its terrific ... but temperamental in a way that makes it not yet ready for prime time ... in particular my use of cascoded RF JFETS in the I-V section (crazy bandwidth and crazy low distortion) means that there can be oscillations in certain circumstances -- not in my initial testing but on subsequent testing ...  oh dear it might actually depend on whether they come from HK or mainland China now that NXP sold the parts division that makes these ... this kind of really crazy sh*t ... speaking of measurements, here is where this issue is being discussed: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/175044-my-version-g-1000-low-noise-measurement-amp-ikoflexer-25.html ... so anyways I don't (yet) know how to measure changes that I can hear between the souped up Ferrari and the regular DSC1 and until I can tame the I-V down so that its stable under known conditions, its not ready for distribution. So anyways in theory there's no difference between theory and practice...

54 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

My usual pat answer here would be that since he didn't measure or state the use of bias controlled blind listening to reach his conclusions they can only be considered a guess.

But I will add in the this case that it is exactly his technical understanding of things that even more so will tend to color his subjective impressions.  The more he knows the more important it is for him to follow a path capable of removing his bias's as completely as possible.

I don't think blind listening goes far enough ...  the full Tommy test is needed in these circumstances:

This test mathematically proves (the score) that pure intuition is better than use of sensory experience (aside from component smell -- but see burning amp ...)

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well if they sound different a minimum of one is of lower fidelity.  Possibly both differ from fidelity in different ways. You see this in people all the time.  People will pay for or celebrate differences.  They don't want all amps to be full fidelity and all sound the same.  They want to own a 'special' amp.  It can't be special if it sounds like all the others. Add in that most speakers fall far from real fidelity and it is a given that slightly colored amps will match up better with some certain speakers to enhance the coloration or decrease a deficiency.

Can you measure the lower "fidelity" or tell me which has the lower fidelity without listening? This is the whole point. You have 2 great amps that measure well. The FirstWatt M2 and J2. They are different. There will be slight differences in measurements. Which is "lower fidelity" and on the basis of which measurements? Do your ears agree ? ( @esldude: you don't need to answer the last question because you admit not hearing differences between amps like these two, fair enough).

4 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Of course you can, if you know what aspect of "fidelity" is important to you.

Both of those amps will vary from ideal in different ways and can potentially affect the sound differently.

I highly respect Nelson and own 4 of his designs currently and had 2 more in the past.

You describe an ideal amp below as "transparent", ok, let's use that goal for "fidelity". Now how do the Stereophile measurements tell you how "transparent" the amplifier sounds?

But I find his dabbling in the First Watt line curious, he knows and builds highly transparent amps for decades now but I find his sideline in First Watt along the same line as Bob Carvers tube amps and his "voicing" of SS with transfer function tuning possibly a stab at being "good for commerce". 

Are you suggesting the J2 isn't transparent? or the M2? Voicing? What voicing? The designs are different topologies with the goal of determining which topology works best in which circumstance. In many cases there is a new transistor technology which is being tested (e.g. Silicon Carbide, SIT, Power JFET), or perhaps positive current feedback ala F7 which is useful in certain difficult speaker loads.

JA's measurements of the J2 I posted earlier, along with just the basic fact that these are very low power amps and will be very load sensitive.

Yeah ok but use the measurements to tell me how they "sound", or how "less transparent" they sound. Interpret the measurements...

It's like building two very different tube SET amps or two OTL's and saying "see, amps do sound different".

It's true that amp designers have known for at least 3 decades how to build a fully transparent amp. The fact that many chose not to design along those lines I'll leave to others for debate.

I see, so there's been no advances in amplifier design in the last 30 years... and this thread is about ? coloration ? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/300136-def-amp.html

2 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Regarding the transparency of Pass designs, Nelson is also stating that the sonic signature of the M2 is more transparent, not less, at least in some ways.

Part of this is due to the limited bandwidth of transformers, and part of it is the lack of feedback artifacts.

Yes I've considered using it as the output stage of a DAC ;) 

35 minutes ago, esldude said:

In context of everything he said, no he isn't even claiming transparency.

Exactly. Is there a purely objective definition of transparency that you are using? What is it  and how does it compare for the amps in question?

"transparency" is a descriptive term.

No one ever claimed perfect transparency as if this were a binary property. My point all along has been that measurements alone have a difficult time determining sonic accuracy.

Every amp has its own sonic signature and no amp is perfectly transparent (and  there are no perfect measurements)

20 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Evidence? Once again, with honesty controls, just listening, trust ears, no peeking. Otherwise, no.

Thankfully with science, observations are generalizable. My statement is made not, duh, by actually measuring every resistor, rather per physics. Don't take my word for it, feel free to take a class -- I hear there are excellent classes online these days.

2 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Where can one find the details of this?

There are many many discussions of resistor noise and nonlinearity e.g.:

https://www.ap.com/technical-library/from-the-test-bench-resistor-noise-and-non-linearity/

http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/60108/VFR_TN108.pdf

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/raqs/raq-issue-25.html

http://physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/statistics/dutta_rmp_53_497_81.pdf

https://peteinthelab.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/noisepaper6510.pdf

there are also discussions of nonlinearities and noise in other components e.g. capacitors. differences in transistors are very very well known. However, if you look at the Analog Designs paper, they discuss that resistor noise is often the limiting factor...

Noise itself is fundamental: https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~phy225h/experiments/thermal-noise/Thermal-Noise.pdf ... Really this is all physics

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

we do need to be careful with some of these findings - e.g. we won't be operating any components from 350 K to 4.7 K so the Johnson noise may not be an issue; the same researchers (last URL) did find that 1/f noise was not T-dependent 

Of course, but 1/f noise causes different non-linearities. The AD article discusses the temperature dependent equation. There is also "shot noise" and I'm not sure if this is temp dependent either -- lots and lots of variables. Johnson noise can also have frequency dependency.

21 hours ago, esldude said:

Now without the full regular measures at my disposal, I would venture a guess the J2 is going to be of lower fidelity because it has much more limited current capabilities.  If someone says they listened to both and preferred the J2 that would not contradict this prediction. 

I think the real answer is speaker dependent.  Sensitive speakers are necessary -- I've used full range horns and headphones --- this certainly isn't a Maggie deal. From a listening perspective the J2 sounds better to me with a smooth but solid high end and very controlled bass. From a realism point of view, I can often feel the bass with live music ... the J2 bass feels very controlled in its depths ... there's some prose that I was holding off giving o.O.(and the M2 really is a terrific amp that folks should consider building -- parts are inexpensive) -- so I'd say J2 is more "accurate"

Now I don't think I'm biased because I was really looking at the SIT-1 at the time (which I regret getting for other reasons) but the J2 just sounded so great (its all about the bass :) )

But you are making this prediction indeed without full regular measures at your disposal. Thanks for taking the time to read up on this and hopefully you can better understand my position -- I won't go so far as to ask you to agree ;) 

23 minutes ago, esldude said:

You can make op-amp like circuits with tubes, and I seem to recall one design which basically did that, and combined with a good output stage achieved something near what you are listing here.

The first "operational amplifier" was perhaps developed by Philbrick before WWII but published by Lovell & Parkinson, 1947 and implemented for the M9 antiaircraft gun targeting system as described in Johnson "Analog Computer Techniques", 1956 -- these were vacuum tube based of course, the circuits can be found in this book which is available used.

and here: http://www.philbrickarchive.org/operational_amplifier.htm